Which 20 wt oil has best Viscosity Index (VI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Jag, 0W-20 oils with VI's in the 170's appear to retain their viscosity very well in UOA, better than many 0W-30 and 0W-40 grades. I don't see any evidence of pushing the limit in any 0W-20 yet.

I do not disagree with that...I will take your word for it. What I was referring to is volatility, not shear stability. For example, look at the volatility of PP 0W-20. It is right near the limit of meeting API SM limit, IIRC.

JAG, I agree. I actually pointed that out to ekpolk in his recent post "How-Le-Cow 0W-20 forever" with NOACK at 14% for 0W-20 PP. PP 5W-20 is not much better at 13.2% and even PP 5W-30 at 12.5 is not great.
I'd posit though, that if the oil temp's are kept down; say 100C or less, volitility is less of an issue. It doesn't appear to be an issue in most UAO's i.e., a vis or oil consumption increase.
Besides, 20 wt is not suitable in most higher temp applications anyway.

I've found a 0W-20 oil with a VI better than RLI
and that's Silkolene Pro R Motorcycle racing oil.
VI is 180 with a 100C vis of 8.91 cSt.

Quaker State Q HP 0W-20 VI is 175, the same as PP
but it's the same product as PP.

And the winner? Can't really give it to Silkolene
being a low detergent race oil.

I'd say it's a tie between RLI and Motul 300V. I say
a tie because Motul's slightly lower VI of 177 is achieved
at a lower vis (100C at 8.0 vs 8.6 and 8.8 for RLI 0W-20
and 5W-20 respectively).

But a close 2nd has to go to PP and Quaker State Q HP at 175
and they do it at a fairly low vis at 100C of 8.39.

zoomzoom, well you've found a strange one in Nippon Oil's eonos.
It certainly blows away the competition as far as VI is concerned but raises a lot of questions with its' unusual specs.
It's obviously not a long OCI oil with a TBN of 5.1. Is it a race oriented oil? How shear stable is it?

They also make a 0W-50 grade oil which is a rare grade.

zoomzoom, well you've found a strange one in Nippon Oil's eonos.
It certainly blows away the competition as far as VI is concerned but raises a lot of questions with its' unusual specs.
It's obviously not a long OCI oil with a TBN of 5.1. Is it a race oriented oil? How shear stable is it?

They also make a 0W-50 grade oil which is a rare grade.

How is it obviously not a long drain oil? Where in their numbers does it disclose TBN retention?

badtlc, I've read their literature and no reference is made to extended OCI's. Other than race oils, name any other motor oil
made that has a TBN that low? Are you suggesting a formulation unique to Eneos? I think it would be prudent for anyone considering using this oil to do a UOA at 3,000 miles to see where you're at.

badtlc, I've read their literature and no reference is made to extended OCI's. Other than race oils, name any other motor oil
made that has a TBN that low? Are you suggesting a formulation unique to Eneos? I think it would be prudent for anyone considering using this oil to do a UOA at 3,000 miles to see where you're at.

I just wanted to verify that you were completely guessing because you stated it more as a fact.

JAG, I agree. I actually pointed that out to ekpolk in his recent post "How-Le-Cow 0W-20 forever" with NOACK at 14% for 0W-20 PP. PP 5W-20 is not much better at 13.2% and even PP 5W-30 at 12.5 is not great.
I'd posit though, that if the oil temp's are kept down; say 100C or less, volitility is less of an issue. It doesn't appear to be an issue in most UAO's i.e., a vis or oil consumption increase.
Besides, 20 wt is not suitable in most higher temp applications anyway.

Two thoughts here. First, yes, the Noack number for the 20 wt PP oils look awful on paper. And yet, in actual real-world service, they don't seem to have an impact. If this were a "real" issue, I'd expect to see a pattern in the UOA, or perhaps reports of excessive consumption, thickening, or both. But there does not appear to be such a pattern. Still, the numbers are what they are (assuming they're legit, and why would an oil maker "overrate" a Noack number...?). I guess that my engine is pretty safe, as I'm constantly roaring around at 80-ish mph in the Florida summer heat, and if I'm having any boil-off, it's minimal enough that I really can't see it. On my first run of PP 0w-20, 5k miles (right before the GC experiment), the oil level might have been a millimeter lower on the stick at the end of the OCI, compared to the beginning, but absolutely nothing dramatic.

Second, I really don't think this "not suitable for high temp applications" thing is a problem for "normal" drivers (as opposed to track or other racing use). The highest coolant temp I've ever seen on my SG-II is 207F (Camry). The vast majority of the time, no matter how hot it is outside, the temp cycles around 190F. If an engine simply DOES NOT reach any temp near those which would challenge ANY grade of oil, is this really an issue to worry about?

ekpolk, glad to see you're "listening"!

I generally agree. As far as your Camry Hybrid is concerned the mfr wouldn't be specifying a 20 wt oil for you car if the oil temp's weren't well contained.
But one point I would like to make is that it is the operational or kinematic viscosity of the oil that is important not the SAE grade. All modern engines have tight enough bearing clearances to use a 20 wt oil, but not all engines operate at an ideal 100C.
It is only when oil temp's routinely exceed that level that warrants the need for a higher grade of oil to maintain a certain operational viscosity not increase it.

Thanks to member byez we have identified a new VI leader and it's the Toyota Canada brand 0W-20, and it's apparently made for them by ESSO (Imperial Oil Canada).
The spec's are as follows:

100C vis 8.8 cSt
40C vis 39.3 cSt
VI 214
Flash point over 200C

It's also the cheapest synthetic 20wt oil in Canada at $5.65/L or $4.50/L when bought by the 12L case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back