Which 0W20 for better high temp protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which brand among the more popular 0W20 synthetics has a viscosity that should provide the best high temperature or heavy workload protection?

Pennzoil Platinum 0w20
Castrol Edge 0w20

ANDD for the BITOG Love Child
Motorcraft SynBlend 5w20

Last edited:
Oil temperature isn't linked to thermostat temperature (exception if there's a water/oil cooler).

Oil temperatures can be 20-30C higher than coolant...big end another 10-30C higher than that.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I would think Mobil 1 AFE would be right up there with those others....

It is. I have used AFE in my engines in temps of 105 to 109F and the oil never showed any sign of oxidizing, like varnish. Both engines still are very clean and and perform very well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
It is. I have used AFE in my engines in temps of 105 to 109F and the oil never showed any sign of oxidizing, like varnish. Both engines still are very clean and and perform very well.
M1 AFE or EP. I have towed about 8-9K with both in temperatures up to 117°F with no issues whatsoever. The UOAs showed no oxidation and in an engine specified to use it there is no concern.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
None of them. That stuff is too thin. It's a minus 40 Fahrenheit oil.
Merk, I like you but it is difficult to know when you are serious or simply on your "thick is better" campaign. In either event, 0W-20 is not too thin in an engine that is specified to use it.

Given that RP's flash points are so low compared to other "synthetics", I think there are much better answers than RP to the OP's question.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Given that RP's flash points are so low compared to other "synthetics", I think there are much better answers than RP to the OP's question.

That may be but Royal Purple is used widely in the racing circles and the cars that I deal with that are raced and running royal purple there is usually no consumption. Now granted they are not using RP 0w20 or their API spec'd oils but in my experience most royal purple oils do great under high stress and high heat. This is a great example why I don't choose my oils by looking at a PDS or MSDS.

Originally Posted By: tig1

+1

Impressed with the M1 AFE 0w30 in my cav.....

I'm with Merk on this one and move up to a higher viscosity.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Oil temperature isn't linked to thermostat temperature (exception if there's a water/oil cooler).

Yes, the temperatures are not the same, but what does the coolant do? Cool the engine. What is inside the engine? Oil. They are linked!

Last edited:
Way to use half a quote...

Please use the rest of the quote and tell me how the thermostat directly controls big end bearing temperatures...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
None of them. That stuff is too thin. It's a minus 40 Fahrenheit oil.

When you see engines going 300K plus on "too thin" Xw20 weights, I think its safe to say that they provide sufficient protection.

M1 0w30 Afe would be my vote... the only reason manufacturers are speccing 0w20 in the US is because of CAFE , we don't have CAFE outside of the US and you will see many vehicles that spec 0w20 in the us Spec 5w30 outside, i'm not saying you can't make an engine run for 300k+ miles on it just my "2 cents" as they say... the again i've never owned a car that specced anything lighter than a 10w40 so i might be biased!

Originally Posted By: Spudislander
Which brand among the more popular 0W20 synthetics has a viscosity that should provide the best high temperature or heavy workload protection?

Redline 0w20 is a safe bet for high temps, their 5w20 race oil is even better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back