Where's the missing oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Camry LE 4cyl 5sfe, I dont really drive it a lot only on the weekends and friday. I have like 26K on it right now so less than 800mi/month. I last changed the oil with MOBIL1 5w30 in April03, so it will be about six months in october. I noticed that the oil level has dropped a little, about 1/4 way from the Max and Fill mark (translates to maybe like 1/4qt). I don't have any burnoff when I start and the car doesn't smoke(from what I can see). It has had about 2500mi on the oil since April.

The oil is darker than when I normally check it (which is fine), is it just thickening? Should I just change the oil at 6mo regarless of the mileage?

Just curious if anyone out there has similiar issues, I know this car has a really small oil capacity so even a little but off change or incline or decline when checking the oil, changes the reading.

Man I really wouldn't mind have a nice big oil sump like good old german cars....I believe even the small 3 series BMW has 6Liters.

Thanks everyone...

Oh yea, when I do drive it on the weekends, it is pretty much ALL highway, usually a round trip of 100-150mi

Using 1/4 qt. of 5W30 Mobil 1 in six months and 2500 miles is really not bad at all!
smile.gif
This is a thin oil that normally sees a little consumption, especially during the summer months. Nothing really to be concerned about here, IMO.

Found this:
-------------------------------------------------
Now with the 03' is a whole different issue. I dumped the factory oil at 500mi and replenished with dino - 5w30 Quaker State(dealer). I did the same at 1500mi, 3500mi and @ 5500 I switched to M1 5W30. My initial observation is that this oil was super thin compared to the 5w30 dino. Again, the gas mileage improved and the motor seemed to be smooth as silk. However, it consumed a 1/2 quart during the 5K mi interval. I wrote the consumption off as the motor still breaking in and that perhaps the 5W30 was too thin.. I changed it again @ 10,500K mi but decided to use the M1 10w30 based on what I've read on this board and my experience with the 5W30. I bought a 5QT jug M1 10W30 and I had 2qts of the M1 5W30 left over. Using the stock Toyota oil filter(always) I poured in the 10W30 and noticed that it wasn't much thicker then the 5W. I topped off with 1.5qts of the 5W30.
----------------------------------------------
Well maybe 5w30 M1 is just too thin...i might just switch back to AMSOIL.

This is an interesting topic, I agree that all engines should use some oil, the question is how much. With close tolerances and computer controlled fuel injection, it seems the oil use should be minimal. Whenever I try to use extended oil change intervals with sythetic oils, it seems to me that the consumption increases with time, i.e., if the oil level is down 1 qt. at 3000 miles, say, and you add a qt., then the oil will be down another qt. in a shorter interval, maybe 1500-2000 miles. I take this to mean that some additive is being depleted, or that oxidation is taking place, and the oil is burned quicker over time. Yet I hear people say that they have cars that don't use any oil. How can an engine not use oil? There has to be some oil lost in combustion, even a minimal amout. Thoughts? As to the 5W-30 being too thin, Honda, Ford, and others are switching to 5W-20 oils. Honda claims it has tested the oil towing a trailer in over 100F weather without any harm to the engine! Scares me.

tadaima: 1/4 quart in 2500 is not a lot. Engines can use as little as 1/2 oz per 1000 miles up to several ounces depending on the driving conditions, temperatures, rpm's etc. etc.

Your Mobil 1 is not getting thicker. It generally gets slightly thinner although it almost always stays in grade. You can an easily go 6-7 K miles regardless if its more than 6 months. You might want to consider using the 10W-30 Mobil 1 which holds up a little better. And the Amsoil is a little thicker if you want to go that route-but certainly not necessary. I'd just suggest you keep your level up to the full mark. That way you get a slightly bigger sump
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by John K:
This is an interesting topic, I agree that all engines should use some oil, the question is how much. --snip--

Anyone have the number for gasoline engines?
Whats the hi/lo limits of Proper burn rate?

They have it for Diesel, why not gas? Gotta be someplace.

Thwe industry standard has been 1 quart per 1000 miles. GM is changeing this standard on their newer V8 and V6 to 1 quart per 2000 miles. This is a huge leap since the old standard has been around since the 1970's

Hmm if those are the numbers for GM for 8 and 6 cyl...4's should be pretty low...but then GM makes their autos with bigger sumps...toyota, especially for their 4 bangers got little itty sumps. I'll probably call toyota and ask what their take on it is...pretty sure companies don't like posting negative things like that when they market their car...

"And for this year's new redesigned CAMRY it only burns 1qt of oil/3,000mi instead of 2qts compared to last years model!!!"

Not to brag or anything, but I noticed that my engine loses no oil during the 5000Km interval I run between changes. Well, if there is a loss, it isn't visible on the dip stick.

Atop of which I drive the car very very hard.

Would you gents have any possible explanation how come my engine seems to be different from the rest?

Originally posted by Asmodeus:
[QB] Not to brag or anything, but I noticed that my engine loses no oil during the 5000Km interval I... snip-
It's there you just may not be able to see it.
Mine at this level will be different depending on all that happens, but I see temp plays a part with me. I'll burn from an ounce or two, maybe three or four, to 6-8 If I'm doing 80-90-100
for most the trips.
With all my leaks I donno what I'm burning, but I do know, that I have been burning less and less the more miles I have as long as I keep it at the level it likes, I burn very little.
However I do notice the dirty oil burns more than a fresh oil.

I think you guys are freakin out about nothing. Every car is different, same make and model, even year. Some motors burn a bit of oil, some do not. If you designed an engine to not allow oil to get past the pitson rings, you'd have no compression real quick from metal to metal contact. If oil wasn't allowed to slowly seep past valve guide seals, you'd be getting new valve quides like every month. If my Toyota Corolla only lost 1/4 quart per 2,000 miles, I'd be jumping for joy!

tadaima:

a 1999 BMW 328i (e46). And I run various weights.

0W30 in the winter, and 0W40 the rest of the year. Switched to 0W40 not long ago, was using 5W30 instead.

quote:

Not to brag or anything, but I noticed that my engine loses no oil during the 5000Km interval I run between changes. Well, if there is a loss, it isn't visible on the dip stick.

Atop of which I drive the car very very hard.

Would you gents have any possible explanation how come my engine seems to be different from the rest?

Asmodeus,
My'96 Audi with the 2.8 12v motor was like that. I used Castrol Syntec 5W-50 for the first 70k miles and never had to add any oil between 10k miles oil changes. The level on the dipstick fell maybe 2 mm during that period. It drove my mechanic nuts.
grin.gif

Ever since I've been using M1 0W-40, the engine has used more oil. About 0.5 to 0.7 quarts between 10k miles oil changes.

Drew: What amount of oil does your corolla(year) lose? True something has to give.

As for Asmondeus and Moribundman, they both have European cars which normally has a bigger pan and sump, so it they did lose 1/4qt, it wouldn't effect the stick as much as mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back