where's the 5W20

I had to stop by WalMart today to see if they had any "Tennessee Beauty" strawberry plants - they are getting difficult to find. Any way, I found a path to the plant section that involved passing by the oil. I wanted to confirm that TropArtic and TropArtic synthetic blend were the same price. They were, $1.48. To my amazement there was NO 5W20 Havoline, Pennzoil, SuperTech, QuakerState, or Mobil 1. Except for Mobil 1, there wasn't even an empty space on the shelf. The only 5W20 that I could find was PP and Valvoline. There was a lady restocking the Havoline and I asked her about the lack of 5W20 and if they were going to stop carrying it. She said "I don't know, but I just replaced the shelf lable with 10W30." I looked around and the 5W30 was missing for Havoline, SuperTech, and Pennzoil. Do I live in an area where 5Wxx just doesn't sell in the summer? I thought that 5W30 had been accepted.

A LOT of places further south than West Virginia, you just CAN'T find 5WXX in most stores. Wal-Mart is famous for tuning their inventory and stocking on a store by store basis.

Bill in Utah

Staff member
Interesting... I was at my Wal-Mart Sunday and they had 5w-20 in the following; Mobil 1 (qts) Mobil 5000 (qts) Pennzoil (qts and 5qt) Castrol (qts and 5qt) QS (qts and 5qt) Havoline (qts and 5qt) Motorcraft (qt and 5qt) The QS was the cheapest at $8.98 and the Havoline was the most $$ at $10.24 for the 5qt jugs. I'm sure if I went to the next city Wal-mart I'd find something else... [Roll Eyes] Take care, Bill [Coffee]

GMorg

So, WalMart is of the oppinion that Ford, Honda, and Chrysler owners don't change there own oil in the summer...

Walmart: where the intelligent buyer shops. [LOL!] This 5-20 thing is just too scary and new to some people, that they cannot believe the oil is thick enough for "summer" use. Oh, well. I always have enough "thin" oil on hand that I can make it through a summer without it on the shelves.

GMorg

GoldenRod wrote: "Is it safe to assume that you follow the Mfg's viscosity recommendation year round?" Me, personally? I consider Mfg recomendations for oil as a starting point. To keep valve chatter down, my GM LX9 (GF-4, 5W30 only recommendation) gets a mix of 0W20 and 5W30 in winter. Currently running GC Green (Not GF-4) and will try BC 5W40 in a few months. With a lot of mountain driving, my wifes 3.0L ford sounds horrible under load with 5W20. In the summer it usually gets spiked with a quart of 20W50. This summer it will likely get switched to M1 5W30 (My guess is that GC Green is a little thicker than needed. Plus, I wouldn't want to waste GC Green in a Ford [personal bias]).

Stock varies at my Walmart, but they usually have a nice selection of 5w20. That's all I use in both my vehicles: new Ford and Dodge. I haven't seen the TropArtic yet in 5W20. I'm still waiting for that day! My Walmarts have about the same selection as Bill in Utah.

I guess I live in the twighlight zone. In every store around me that sells oil, they are fully stocked with 5w20. I even know where a huge stash of API SL M1 0w20 is, if anyone is interested.

I'm pretty sure that the only dino 5w-20 in my WallMart are MC and PZ. No Supertech. No Valvoline. No Castrol. No QS. No Havoline. They all start at 5w-30. I've never seen a bottle of Tropic-Artic ..ever. There are a few 5w-20 synths. M1, PP, and ...hmmm..one other [Confused]

GMorg

My wording may have been confusing. I was not looking for TropArtic 5W20. I was confirming price on synth blend vs regular 5W30 TropArtic. Independant of my TropArtic 5W30 curiosity, I noticed that there was not any 5W20 for a bunch of brands for which there had previously been 5W20.

quote:
Originally posted by GMorg: Do I live in an area where 5Wxx just doesn't sell in the summer? I thought that 5W30 had been accepted.
You live in an area where the dinosaurs didn't all get wiped out by the asteroid.