Where to recycle dead batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two dead laptop batteries and would like to know if there is anyplace I can take them for proper disposal. I do no want to just throw them in the trash.

Laptop battery packs, even when dead, usually still have several viable 17650 or 18650 cells in them. A 17670 cell is the same diameter and length as 2 CR123a cells that are commonly used in flashlights, and an 18650 is slightly fatter and has higher capacity and there are actually flashlights designed specifically to use them.

Sign up over on candlepowerforums.com and see if anyone would be willing to pay shipping to take them off of your hands.

If you don't want to do that, Home Depot usually has a box up by the entrance where you can drop them off.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Laptop battery packs, even when dead, usually still have several viable 17650 or 18650 cells in them. A 17670 cell is the same diameter and length as 2 CR123a cells that are commonly used in flashlights, and an 18650 is slightly fatter and has higher capacity and there are actually flashlights designed specifically to use them.

Sign up over on candlepowerforums.com and see if anyone would be willing to pay shipping to take them off of your hands.

If you don't want to do that, Home Depot usually has a box up by the entrance where you can drop them off.

Why would someone pay to have dead batteries?

Originally Posted By: tom slick
home depot or call your local waste authority

you can look here also
http://earth911.com/electronics/

The places around me only specify NiCad batteries, the ones I have are Li-Ion. Would they still take them?

So in theory I could take apart two laptop batteries, perhaps even different brands, and solder myself together one working one? Sounds intriguing!

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ

Why would someone pay to have dead batteries?

I've taken apart several dead laptop packs that has 2-3 dead cells in it, and the rest (as many as 6-7) were still good. New, they sell for upwards of $5 per cell.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

So in theory I could take apart two laptop batteries, perhaps even different brands, and solder myself together one working one? Sounds intriguing!

Not at all a good idea to mix cells of different age/capacity. Most laptop packs are nearly impossible to disassemble without destroying them, and many of the circuits will disable themselves once they have been messed with.

http://www.call2recycle.org/
The Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation, a group funded by the rechargeable battery industry, has a search for stores with recycling drop boxes on their website.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back