Where to purchase set of new steel wheels

Hello

I am looking for a set of steel wheels to be a second set for my RAV4. The plan is to mount Snow tires on them and have them on the vehicle from December through March.

Not looking to spend a ton just lookin for something basic that will do the job and doesn't break the bank.

Anyone know where I should look? ebay?

The wheel size I believe I need is:

17" wheel diameter
7" wheel width
5-114.3 bolt pattern

Tire Rack used to be reasonable with popular size. I got my winter steelies all mounted up there delivered to my door.
You mot likely want to go minus 1 size for Snows and, that 7" width sounds way too wide for a little crossover.
You want tall and skinny for snows.
what is the wheel size on the door placard or in the O.M.?

That last time I purchased another set of wheels was for my 2016 Subaru Forester. I wound up buying a set of close out cheap aluminum wheels from Discount Tires Direct for ~$60/ea. I believe at the time, a set of black painted steelies was right about that price.

Facebook Marketplace. I just bought a set of 4 steelies for my MIL's '03 RAV4 that needed 16" wheels, for $40 for all 4, and they even had a set of semi-shot X-Ice tires, that are still holding air, on them. Local pick-up made them a real no-brainer.

I'm not sure if people buy aftermarket wheels for Rav4s in the interest of aesthetics, but if so, there might be take-off OEM wheels available for purchase on Facebook Marketplace or your local Toyota/Tire dealers.

Hello

I am looking for a set of steel wheels to be a second set for my RAV4. The plan is to mount Snow tires on them and have them on the vehicle from December through March.

Not looking to spend a ton just lookin for something basic that will do the job and doesn't break the bank.

Anyone know where I should look? ebay?

The wheel size I believe I need is:

17" wheel diameter
7" wheel width
5-114.3 bolt pattern
If you want them to fit your car without needing an extra set of lug nuts and/and hub centering rings, consider getting them from Toyota, since the poverty spec Trim of the RAV4 has steel wheels.

Yes, it will cost more money.

Tire Rack used to be reasonable with popular size. I got my winter steelies all mounted up there delivered to my door.
You mot likely want to go minus 1 size for Snows and, that 7" width sounds way too wide for a little crossover.
7" width is the factory width for 225/65r17 tires

a good move for sure as is downsizing, my 2001 jetta depending on model came with 15 or 16 inch rims and the gti had 17s that fit correctly ALL the same OD and narrower tyres are BETTER in snow, not to mention CHEAPER and LIGHTER!!! getting a set with wheels with tyres mounted and delivered FREE is the best value and as noted bargain alloys are a good option. places like discount tyre include proper hardware for said wheels

Last edited:
Check your local CL or FB marketplace. When bought my rims for my Caravan a tire shop had a deal. Bought my snow tires at Costco and had them mount them when I dropped off the rims in September.

Talks of O.E.M wheel having better weight distribution because they're more snug / fit around the hub than some aftermarket steel wheels . States it at 1:08 in the video .

Last edited:
a good move for sure as is downsizing, my 2001 jetta depending on model came with 15 or 16 inch rims and the gti had 17s that fit correctly ALL the same OD and narrower tyres are BETTER in snow, not to mention CHEAPER and LIGHTER!!! getting a set with wheels with tyres mounted and delivered FREE is the best value and as noted bargain alloys are a good option. places like discount tyre include proper hardware for said wheels
MK4 GTI's also came with 16" Montreal II's wheels with 205/55r16 tires.

Thanks, the stock wheels are 17 x 7 and the stock tire is 225/65/17,

A minus 1 would be a 16 x 6.5 wheel and the tire would be 225/70/16. This is only .1 inch shorter and the same width so not worth it. Plus I would need to install hub rings and also 225/65/17 is a much more common size with ALOT more tire options.

So I think I will stay with the stock 17" wheel size.

Thanks, the stock wheels are 17 x 7 and the stock tire is 225/65/17,

A minus 1 would be a 16 x 6.5 wheel and the tire would be 225/70/16. This is only .1 inch shorter and the same width so not worth it. Plus I would need to install hub rings and also 225/65/17 is a much more common size with ALOT more tire options.

So I think I will stay with the stock 17" wheel size.
Some of the earlier RAV4's have 16x6.5" steel wheels. But the question will be if the offset on them (45mm) will be appropriate as a replacement for 17x7 ET35 wheels.

Back