where to order slip on rocker panels

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 Neon. Someone slapped "tin" on there. I'd like to cut that out and put the "right" part in-- slipped over then riveted/ welded/ bonded on to keep the slush out.

Noticing slip on rockers from noramstore.com for $33 ea, shipped. Looks like a decent bet, but it's also something I'd like to hold before I buy.

For $33, I'd just buy it. $133 and I'd want to hold it.

Seems like installation method would be really critical with a "slip on" rocker, or you could create some kind of rot incubator.

Well I've got to pull off the old "tin" but someone wouldn't have applied it if there weren't holes underneath.

My concern, echoed by ranger, is the pinch weld and keeping that from rusting faster. It's a jacking point for one...

PS, that website was just kiddin' about free shipping. When one checks out they see the $40 for UPS. Still an ok deal.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Well I've got to pull off the old "tin" but someone wouldn't have applied it if there weren't holes underneath.

My concern, echoed by ranger, is the pinch weld and keeping that from rusting faster. It's a jacking point for one...

PS, that website was just kiddin' about free shipping. When one checks out they see the $40 for UPS. Still an ok deal.

The way to address the pinch weld issue is to spray it with weld through zinc before welding.
Use a high quality rustproofing compound after its done with a long wand and really flood it with multiple coats. I did the GP this way and nothing came back in 6 years since.

For rockers i just cut a piece out and take it to a local sheet metal fabricator and he makes them for me out of high grade 18 ga sheet steel for the skin and 16 ga for the inner supports, $80 a pair for a full size SUV.
There is a huge difference in the steel! The stuff he uses if left outside in the elements after a month it has hardly any surface rust on it, the cheap stuff is good and rusted.
Imagine how good it is with a zinc primer and undercoating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back