Where to get the boxes that 3-pack 5 quart jugs of oil came in?

Got nearly 60 jugs from the last Walmart sale spread out on my foyer floor. They aren't stackable like that and take up lots of floor space even when I move them to the basement. Where can I get the boxes they came in, and for free? Would Walmart or Advance or Autozone keep them around, or do they just cut them up when they stock the shelves?

if you call in and ask really nicely.. they might.. or they could just tell you to go pound sand.

probably better luck at auto parts store vs walmart

They get baled in a cardboard baler usually unless its a tiny place then just put out in cardboard dumpster flattened.

I worked part time at Walmart for about a year after I had my accident that left me disabled. They just break them down and crush them. If you talked to a store or department manager they might save them for you if you'd come get them right away. They'd probably break them down meaning you'd have to re-tape them before use.

I bought metal shelf supports and plywood and put shelves on the walls of my garage for oil and other garage materials storage space. If you fasten a support to every stud the shelf will withstand a lot of weight. If I recall correctly I bought 12" supports and made my shelves 16" wide Doing it this way you can get three 16" shelves 8' long out of sheet of plywood. With this amount of weight I'd use extra long screws for the supports and 3/4" plywood.

OK I'll hit some AA, AZ and NAPA stores when I'm in the area. I assume they don't get paid for used cardboard like they do for oil so they would be glad to get rid of it.

Back