Where to get prorate on tires from--retailer only, or OEM?

Wow. Up till my last purchase on my Highlander (Continentals replaced the Continentals that were already there) I have never bought the same brand of tire twice---for years and years, and I've ALWAYS gotten a prorate from them. And they were clear with me, I could get a prorate at 4/32. In fact, a couple of months prior, I don't know if I was rotating or getting them aired up, the guy told me that I could get new ones, and this was a month or two before they were measured at 4/32 & 3/32. If you are still interested in their business, I would contact a different branch/location and ask them how low the treads have to be, and also, if you can still get a prorate if your previous AT purchase was of a different tire brand. Maybe this is just how they do business in CA? I dunno. I sure do like the prorates, but I also like pricing out which tires are the best deal, too.
I guess I just never had tires that don't really last anyway but yes, next time I wear a set out I'll ask a bit more about it. So basically they just knock down the price of your new tires?

Yes. I've never had to deal with the tire manufacturer once. I get the prorate taken off the price for the new set.

I guess I just never had tires that don't really last anyway but yes, next time I wear a set out I'll ask a bit more about it. So basically they just knock down the price of your new tires?

Yes. I've never had to deal with the tire manufacturer once. I get the prorate taken off the price for the new set.
I feel like this is some screte backdoor deal....ahahhaa...just never heard of this but it could also be that I have never gotten tires from the same place more than once it seems and really don't buy super-long mileage tires. I don't think I've ever had tires more than 45K miles in my life.

Even if you are getting 40-45K out of a tire only warrantied for 60K, that's still a nice prorate that I would not walk away from. I don't know your rotation habits, but they do want them every 6-8K miles--that might be a showstopper for you.

Something tells me that they're not just rolling out the red carpet for me. If the prorate matters to you, even better than a phone call, go visit a different location the next time you want your tires aired up. They do it in 2 mins, and then you can talk to a manager or asst mgr and find out what you can expect.

Just like rebates, not everyone is into prorates, although this is more than just $5-10 off the purchase of a jug of oil. If you don't feel its worth your time, then so be it. Only you can judge that.

I feel like this is some screte backdoor deal....ahahhaa...just never heard of this but it could also be that I have never gotten tires from the same place more than once it seems and really don't buy super-long mileage tires. I don't think I've ever had tires more than 45K miles in my life.

Do any of you get prorate from the tire manufacturer? Or is this something that you only get through the retailer?

(1) If you do get it from the tire manufacturer, how much more time & effort is it, to get the prorate?

(2) How often do they actually give the prorate? Or do they find reasons not to? Do you have to ship the tires to them, or just show them paperwork?

(3) And do you have to show proof of purchase of the same brand of tires (in other words, would Michelin require you to buy another set of Michelins, to give you prorate on the previous set of Michelins that you had on)?

I’m comparing the process to buying tires at AT, where I can count on a prorate every time I buy a new set, regardless of the brand of tires that are already on the car, or what brand I’m buying.
I recommend dealing with Discount Tire..........they are easy to deal with and handle all that BS. I daily drive a 3500 DRW loaded and go through a set of tires every 18 months or so. Michelin LTX AT2's.....( which i will not be purchaing again)..........anyway..........they have a 55k warranty for treadwear..................and I get 40 ish..............DT takes care of all of it on the spot. Proration happens toward purchase of a new set of their tires BTW, you get no cash in hand.

Discount tire is nationwide ( good if you travel or RV or the like) have good selection, etc.

I recommend dealing with Discount Tire..........they are easy to deal with and handle all that BS. I daily drive a 3500 DRW loaded and go through a set of tires every 18 months or so. Michelin LTX AT2's.....( which i will not be purchaing again)..........anyway..........they have a 55k warranty for treadwear..................and I get 40 ish..............DT takes care of all of it on the spot. Proration happens toward purchase of a new set of their tires BTW, you get no cash in hand.

Discount tire is nationwide ( good if you travel or RV or the like) have good selection, etc.
What tread depth are you replacing them at? I use DT for most of my tires.

Even if you are getting 40-45K out of a tire only warrantied for 60K, that's still a nice prorate that I would not walk away from. I don't know your rotation habits, but they do want them every 6-8K miles--that might be a showstopper for you.

Something tells me that they're not just rolling out the red carpet for me. If the prorate matters to you, even better than a phone call, go visit a different location the next time you want your tires aired up. They do it in 2 mins, and then you can talk to a manager or asst mgr and find out what you can expect.

Just like rebates, not everyone is into prorates, although this is more than just $5-10 off the purchase of a jug of oil. If you don't feel its worth your time, then so be it. Only you can judge that.
I rotate my tires around 5K at my oil changes. I have no issue if I can get the prorate, I've just never bought tires with long wear warranties I guess or used the same place more than once maybe. I'll keep this all in mind next time I need tires.

Looking at my fleet here, Atlas has a 70K Pirelli (DT) - I won't have this vehicle long enough to matter here as they are new-ish at ~10/32 after maybe 7K miles. 50K Nittos Motivos (DT) on my son's car..maybe...those will wear out quicker than that I'm sure so I'll keep that on my radar for a prorate. My Golf has 45K Michelin PS4 all seasons (DT), issue here is I have other tires/wheels I use (summers) so these aren't on all year, how would I prove that the odo mileage isn't the tire mileage? They are chewed up from the track anyway but otherwise evenly worn...not likely to pass muster and are not the OE size which also will likely nix it. Son's Lexus with Falken Wildpeak Its (DT) will be last and are a larger-than-OE size so again, won't likely pass muster. W8 Passat has Neogens which I don't think even have a treadwear warranty. I think I found out why pro-rates aren't a thing for me ahahahah

Last edited:
What tread depth are you replacing them at? I use DT for most of my tires.
Whatever the allowable depth is. I get the rotated and balanced every 10K......I think it is 3 \32 ............but they handle all that.
The proration is pretty substantial.

Whatever the allowable depth is. I get the rotated and balanced every 10K......I think it is 3 \32 ............but they handle all that.
The proration is pretty substantial.
That was one of my points, I rarely take tires down that far, 4/32 is about it but some say they will even do it then. Either way, learned a bit and if I can get this I certainly would. But I think my use case/tire choices/etc. just don't put me in a place to get much out of it.

I used prorate one time on some Michelins. Decided it wasn’t worth the effort going forward. I buy a mid tier tire, swap out when the wear is what I call done for. Skip any road hazard. Savings over the years pays for incidents if I do have one go bad.

Not the best for all, some “always” get multiple flats or whatever, but I rarely have issues. I’m just unwilling to go below 4/32.

I've thought about doing that myself. Its about $100 per set now at AT. I'm not sure if a leak I had plugged up was considered covered only under that road hazard (or if AT would have done that for me, regardless), but IIRC correctly I've only used road hazard that one time over at least the last 10 years. $100 was almost the cost of one of the Yokohamas that I put on the Sienna (around 127/tire), so even if I'm replacing one tire every four sets, I'm not losing out. Gonna think about that one.

I used prorate one time on some Michelins. Decided it wasn’t worth the effort going forward. I buy a mid tier tire, swap out when the wear is what I call done for. Skip any road hazard. Savings over the years pays for incidents if I do have one go bad.

Not the best for all, some “always” get multiple flats or whatever, but I rarely have issues. I’m just unwilling to go below 4/32.

That was one of my points, I rarely take tires down that far, 4/32 is about it but some say they will even do it then. Either way, learned a bit and if I can get this I certainly would. But I think my use case/tire choices/etc. just don't put me in a place to get much out of it.
The pro-ration is not part of the "extended warranty" or "warranty certificates" that DT offers......they come with the tires. DT in my experience has been easy to deal with when it comes to the next set. I have a local guy I go to for specialty or trailer tires, but he sell tires for vehicles also........He told me that the pro-ration thing is a pain for smaller companies becasue they have to send in a request for money. Smaller companies pay the distributor full price, then sell to the customer at the pro rated cost, then have to wait for their money from the manufacturer, which is why some smaller dealers dont mess with all that.......

In short, if you run the tires down to whatever..........take then up to DT, you will get money toward a new set, depending on how much mileage you have left on the clock.............so you would benefit no doubt..............."exgtended warraty thing".................who knows

The pro-ration is not part of the "extended warranty" or "warranty certificates" that DT offers......they come with the tires. DT in my experience has been easy to deal with when it comes to the next set. I have a local guy I go to for specialty or trailer tires, but he sell tires for vehicles also........He told me that the pro-ration thing is a pain for smaller companies becasue they have to send in a request for money. Smaller companies pay the distributor full price, then sell to the customer at the pro rated cost, then have to wait for their money from the manufacturer, which is why some smaller dealers dont mess with all that.......

In short, if you run the tires down to whatever..........take then up to DT, you will get money toward a new set, depending on how much mileage you have left on the clock.............so you would benefit no doubt..............."exgtended warraty thing".................who knows
I'm aware of the difference in the manufacturer warranty vs. DTs road hazard certs which I usually buy.

I'm aware of the difference in the manufacturer warranty vs. DTs road hazard certs which I usually buy.
ok great, just making sure you understood..............as your post seemed to suggest otherwise. Some people think that they are the same or a tire installation companies provides both guarantees.

Good luck then.

ok great, just making sure you understood..............as your post seemed to suggest otherwise. Some people think that they are the same or a tire installation companies provides both guarantees.

Good luck then.
Sorry if I was not clear there - "if I can get this I certainly would" with "this" meaning "have them prorate" not getting a separate warranty. We'll see...maybe one day this will actually work out for me! Now...if they only prorated track tires..hahaha

Funny - today my wife got a screw in her tire...had to go up to her school and change it out in the parking lot. 10K on these Pirelli Scorpion AS 3s on the Atlas (245/60/18). Got them at DT, got the road hazard certificates. Knew it wasn't repairable b/c in the side. 9/32", new at 11/32" so 2/32" over 10K should last 45K or so...they are 60K tire so IF we keep the Atlas long enough, these would be good tires for a prorate. I always get them rotated at DT b/c I hate doing it b/c they are heavy. Easy - love DT, they had to get the tire from another location. Called me when it came in, got them rotated at the same time. Always so friendly in the one I use. So new tire and I bought a new certificate for $30.

Back