Where to get prorate on tires from--retailer only, or OEM?

Do any of you get prorate from the tire manufacturer? Or is this something that you only get through the retailer?

(1) If you do get it from the tire manufacturer, how much more time & effort is it, to get the prorate?

(2) How often do they actually give the prorate? Or do they find reasons not to? Do you have to ship the tires to them, or just show them paperwork?

(3) And do you have to show proof of purchase of the same brand of tires (in other words, would Michelin require you to buy another set of Michelins, to give you prorate on the previous set of Michelins that you had on)?

I’m comparing the process to buying tires at AT, where I can count on a prorate every time I buy a new set, regardless of the brand of tires that are already on the car, or what brand I’m buying.

I got prorated tires from both. I went for a tire rotation and the sales guy notice some cracking on my tires ( Michelin). He call Michelin and they offered me a dollar amount of credit on a new set of tires. Next time OEM Ford looked at early wear on my 12K miles truck and offered me a new set of OEM Goodyears on my Ford F250 for $400.00

Over the years, I have had DT/(AT) give me very fair treadwear warranty prorated price on new sets of tires a couple times. That was on tires purchased and installed at DT. Also, I followed DT's rotation and balance recommendations (~6k miles) to keep that warranty in force. All done at DT. I'd say as long as one follows that procedure and is within treadwear warranty, DT will prorate. Tha applies to any brand sold.

I've never tried but I doubt most tire places including DT are going to honor a treadwear warranty on tires purchased elsewhere, no matter the tire manufacturer. That said, at least as far as DT goes, can't hurt to ask as I've been surprised before with DT b&m stores. They once gave me prorated price on a set of new tires, for tires not purchased there and still fair amount tread left. I asked if they would give me something (prorate) for the old and they did. And DT has given me a prorated price on OE replacement tire with punctures outside repairable area a couple times.

All that said, I'll add a BIG YMMV. Just giving my experience in many years of DT tire purchases. What happens other retailers or even other DT stores may be very different.

Other than a couple road hazard claims, I've never had any luck with mileage pro-rata claims, there's always some bull shiitake going on that prevents it. Usually I buy tires in advance when people have sales (DTD, Tire Rack, etc.), so the discount would only be off a MUCH MORE expensive priced tire anyway...

I got Prorate from Goodyear through GY service/dealer. Tires came on my used car, no receipts but based on tread depth, date code and sidewalls separating.

I got mileage prorate on some Pirelli Scorpion AT (not sure if I sent pictures) from TireRack and applied to new Falken Wildpeak Trail from TR. They didn't want the old ones back. Still had some tread but odd wear, donated to used tire joint.

Never had others but also more challenging to keep documented at the shops with full snows on different rims for each vehicle.

The shenanigans--has that come from the retailer that sold you the tire, or from the OEM?

Other than a couple road hazard claims, I've never had any luck with mileage pro-rata claims, there's always some bull shiitake going on that prevents it. Usually I buy tires in advance when people have sales (DTD, Tire Rack, etc.), so the discount would only be off a MUCH MORE expensive priced tire anyway...

The shenanigans--has that come from the retailer that sold you the tire, or from the OEM?
Usually the retailer that sold the tire-too old, didn’t believe that I did the rotations myself, or would only offer the prorate on the original tire price applied to the higher price of today. I’ve been tempted to try mileage/age warranty for dry rot/sun checking/cracks in the tread, but because prices of increased exponentially lately, I just run them until I can get a deal on a new set. Most of my stuff has cheap summer tires rotated with cheap winter tires, or LTs that don’t have any warranty anyway.

Yeah, I only recently realized that tires have a time limit to the tread warranty as well, usually 5-6 years.

I looked at the Cooper website (I have CS5s on the sienna right now, and I'd potentially lose a huge prorate if I were to go anywhere other than AT, where I bought them) and they say to go to a Cooper certified retailer (or some such terminology), so I'd probably need help from wherever I buy the next ones from.

Usually the retailer that sold the tire-too old, didn’t believe that I did the rotations myself, or would only offer the prorate on the original tire price applied to the higher price of today. I’ve been tempted to try mileage/age warranty for dry rot/sun checking/cracks in the tread, but because prices of increased exponentially lately, I just run them until I can get a deal on a new set. Most of my stuff has cheap summer tires rotated with cheap winter tires, or LTs that don’t have any warranty anyway.

Do any of you get prorate from the tire manufacturer? Or is this something that you only get through the retailer?

(1) If you do get it from the tire manufacturer, how much more time & effort is it, to get the prorate?

(2) How often do they actually give the prorate? Or do they find reasons not to? Do you have to ship the tires to them, or just show them paperwork?

(3) And do you have to show proof of purchase of the same brand of tires (in other words, would Michelin require you to buy another set of Michelins, to give you prorate on the previous set of Michelins that you had on)?

I’m comparing the process to buying tires at AT, where I can count on a prorate every time I buy a new set, regardless of the brand of tires that are already on the car, or what brand I’m buying.
Aftermarket tires, it's usually the retailer that does it, which they can go bother the manufacturer... I've only had a tire pro-rated due to road hazards, since I usually bought the road hazard protection (if it costs extra), and they handled the rest.

If it's a new car, then it's through the tire manufacturer. Never dealt with this situation.

I've only gotten prorated warranty on tires, through Discount Tire. They make it super easy. They take care of dealing with the manufacturer. They allow me to replace the warranted tires with any brand. No need for proof of purchase, since they keep my records. And they have records of my tire rotations. So super easy.

I have no experience with anywhere else, to compare my DT experience with.

I called TireRack today (where I would buy the tires from, if I don't go with AT) and they said that they will work with me to get prorate, but they'd charge $7/tire shipping, to get the tires from the installer to them, so my prorates would be a lot less. And any prorate I'd get would be after the tires (and my proof of rotations) had been sent to TR, and measured for uneven wear. Not exactly like it is done at AT, where the prorate is taken off the OTD price for the new set.

You are right, they make it super easy.

I've only gotten prorated warranty on tires, through Discount Tire. They make it super easy. They take care of dealing with the manufacturer. They allow me to replace the warranted tires with any brand. No need for proof of purchase, since they keep my records. And they have records of my tire rotations. So super easy.

I have no experience with anywhere else, to compare my DT experience with.

If it's a mileage warranty then it's strictly going to be based on the retail price and they only work through authorized retailers.

I got a road-hazard prorated replacement from America's Tire once. They checked the tread depth and charged me something like 2/12 the cost of the retail price. But they also charged the full mounting cost. I think one has to sign that they're giving up any manufacturer's hazard warranty to get the dealer warranty.

Yeah I've gotten prorated on everything from a Honda OEM battery to Yokohama avid tires.
If the mileage or the months are close I won't haggle over it. Batteries have seem to be more the issue with this car as they put this little bitty battery in these Hondas. Truthfully, I think the John Deere lawn mower in the back has a bigger battery

Well I decided to go back to where I have bought for the last 15 years or so, to AT. I got $70 per tire prorate (on Cooper CS5 Grand Touring that only lasted 25K miles out of the 80K warrantied) and that was just too big a prorate to pass up. I put on Yokohama Avid Ascend LX (an 80K tire). We'll see how long these last.

My issue with the whole prorated thing is you have to push the tires to a point of treadwear that is unacceptable to me. 4/32 is usually it for me on tires. Further you have to buy the same tires and what fun is that? 🤣

Last edited:
I use a local independent dealer who is not cheapest nor most expensive . He tends to pro rate my tires when getting new ones and work with maker.

Been going to same place for nearly 30 years.

My issue with the whole prorated thing is you have to push the tires to a point of treadwear that is unacceptable to me. 4/32 is usually it for me on tires. Further you have to buy the same tires and what fun is that? 🤣

Where I used to work, if you got to 4/32nds, we would cut a deal. But all 4 tires had to be there.

In my experience, Americas Tire lets you swap out at 4/32. You might call them and ask the next time you need a set. At least, that's what they do near me. My latest purchase a week ago, the guy said my treads were 4/32 and 3/32. I think the tire manufacturers want 2/32, but AT at least lets you exchange before then. And they didn't take it out on the prorate, either. I got $70/tire, which was 70% of the original cost, prorated off the new set.

In my experience, Americas Tire lets you swap out at 4/32. You might call them and ask the next time you need a set. At least, that's what they do near me. My latest purchase a week ago, the guy said my treads were 4/32 and 3/32. I think the tire manufacturers want 2/32, but AT at least lets you exchange before then. And they didn't take it out on the prorate, either. I got $70/tire, which was 70% of the original cost, prorated off the new set.
And what about switching to a different tire? We don't have AT but have DT - I've bought many tires from them. Last time I ask about this they said I had to be at the manufacturer's wear limit which was 3/32" I believe on all 4, even wear, records of rotations, etc. I switched tires so it didn't matter anyway. I've always thought these warranty things were worthless unless you had egregious wear rate before the manufacturer tread wear warranty number and in those cases you likely had alignment issues which would void it anyway. These were DT-exclusive Contis at 4/32 around 33K I believe (40K warranty) and I wanted to run Michelin PS4 all seasons anyway; they would have likely lasted to 3/32 to 40 so no-go/min. prorating anyway.

Wow. Up till my last purchase on my Highlander (Continentals replaced the Continentals that were already there) I have never bought the same brand of tire twice---for years and years, and I've ALWAYS gotten a prorate from them. And they were clear with me, I could get a prorate at 4/32. In fact, a couple of months prior, I don't know if I was rotating or getting them aired up, the guy told me that I could get new ones, and this was a month or two before they were measured at 4/32 & 3/32. If you are still interested in their business, I would contact a different branch/location and ask them how low the treads have to be, and also, if you can still get a prorate if your previous AT purchase was of a different tire brand. Maybe this is just how they do business in CA? I dunno. I sure do like the prorates, but I also like pricing out which tires are the best deal, too.

And what about switching to a different tire? We don't have AT but have DT - I've bought many tires from them. Last time I ask about this they said I had to be at the manufacturer's wear limit which was 3/32" I believe on all 4, even wear, records of rotations, etc. I switched tires so it didn't matter anyway. I've always thought these warranty things were worthless unless you had egregious wear rate before the manufacturer tread wear warranty number and in those cases you likely had alignment issues which would void it anyway. These were DT-exclusive Contis at 4/32 around 33K I believe (40K warranty) and I wanted to run Michelin PS4 all seasons anyway; they would have likely lasted to 3/32 to 40 so no-go/min. prorating anyway.

Back