Where to get analysis done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any recommendations for where to get used oil analysis done? There's Blackstone, a sponsor, but who else?

The vehicle is a 2006 Ford F150, with a Roush supercharger, running full synthetic Mobil 1 or Royal Purple.

If you want the most detailed interpretation of results, then Dyson Analysis. But it costs the most, too. Whether it's worth it or not, I guess depends on whether you have some serious issues that you're trying to resolve or just doing a UOA for the kicks.

By the way,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

Wear check, oil analyzers are other options. Is Stavely services another one?

Keep in mind that with Dyson analysis you have to agree to not share certain information he gives you with anyone. Check out this confidentiality agreement for his weblog here. http://www.dysonanalysis.com/dysonmobilityweblog/confidentialityagreement.html I find this really scary and I would not do it personally. Not doubting his ability or right to have his customers agree to whatever conditions he wants, but I would never sign up for it.

Thanks.

Its running 5w30 full synthetic (Royal Purple or Mobil 1 depending on the price at the time). Because I swapped out the 6lb boost pulley (now running 9lbs), I want to get an indication from this point forward as to the condition of the oil and engine, and also an indication of how far I can stretch out the change intervals while still giving the engine the best protection. I change the oil at 2500 - 3000 mile intervals because I like using the boost! Always use Pure One, Mobil 1 or K&N oil filters (depending on price). I run an air/oil separator, so oil from blow by doesn't go into the intercooler or back into the engine (I drain it and put in my oil drain bucket).

Price is a concern, because it needs to justify the cost of extending the change intervals, but I don't want to pay for a [censored] analysis either. If the analysis costs more than simply changing the oil frequent, I know myself and won't get it done as often - which sort of defeats the purpose of UOA.

Last edited:
Not being able to share the analysis... that's something I can't consider. I'd like to be able to post the results so I can get feedback from other users here.

Looking like Blackstone is the one... but I've also seen posts that say their reports tend to have low numbers (possibly inaccurate?).

Originally Posted By: ftsservice
Not being able to share the analysis... that's something I can't consider. I'd like to be able to post the results so I can get feedback from other users here.

AFAIK, Dyson does not let you share the interpretation of the results, but it does let you share the actual analysis results.

With Blackstone, there isn't much in terms of interpretation, so it's not like there is much to share anyway. They give pretty standard cookie-cutter type responses that are of little value, IMO.

Still, Blackstone costs about $25-30. Dyson costs $100.

Originally Posted By: ftsservice
Looking like Blackstone is the one... but I've also seen posts that say their reports tend to have low numbers (possibly inaccurate?).

No they are fine and accurate.
01.gif

But for someone doing what you are doing as far as oil/filters/OCi cost is nothing for a UOA to what you are "spending".

Would it not be better to spend some $$ for a UOA and find out that your oil/filter can go up to THREE TIMES (or maybe MORE) longer?

You would make up the cost of ANY UOA (incl Dysons) REAL quick.

Personally, I'd run what oil you'd like to stick with for a 5k OCI, do a sample and get a Blackstone UOA with TBN and post it up here.

From that, see where you can go. I'm about 99.9999% sure that a 2500-3000 mile OCI is a MAJOR WASTE (in cost) in your vehicle.

You could go longer with NO problems.

Take care and
welcome2.gif

Bill

I use Stavely. Probably average between 20 and 40 samples a month. For good comments, I don't see much value in their comments or Blackstone's. But I have been doing this for years and have more than 4000 results to write my own comments knowing the vehicles, what the customer does, and what their goals are in maintenance.

The results the labs give you are scientific. Commenting proactively is an ART.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back