Where to find HEVC codecs (free)

I got a short MP4 taken by someone from what must have been their smart phone. MP4 extension, but when I tried opening it with W11's default client, I was told that I needed to pay a few bucks at the Windows store to install the HEVC codecs needed.

I tried with VLC portable, but it wouldn't play on that either. I haven't used KLite codec pack for years and years now (VLC has always come installed with any codecs I needed), but I went there. Their site didn't list HEVC as one of the codecs installed with any of their codec packs.

Does this have a separate codec--that is available for free? Or is it that I just need to try a few different media players (MPC would be next to try) and see which one opens it?

I've used MPC-BE for several years and it seems to handle most every audio or video filetype. I also have k-lite installed on at least one machine.

Despite the popularity and flexibilities, I've never really liked VLC, although I do have the android version installed on my devices.

MPC-HC did the job.

Never heard of BE before. What is the difference between the two projects?

I've used MPC-BE for several years and it seems to handle most every audio or video filetype. I also have k-lite installed on at least one machine.

Despite the popularity and flexibilities, I've never really liked VLC, although I do have the android version installed on my devices.

Looked them up, their wikipedia page says the project was abandoned, and it referred me to MPC-HC, which I assume uses the codec the the CCCP project does. At any rate, MPC-HC opened up the video w/o a problem.
Yeah, the project hasn't been updated in forever, but for the longest time it "the" codec pack if you wanted stuff to work. MPC was included as part of the kit, so it would make sense that it worked for you.

MPC-HC did the job.

Never heard of BE before. What is the difference between the two projects?
I gotta admit, I really couldn't say what the differences are. I started using the BE (Black Edition) several years ago - it worked and it was the one I became familiar with. I had to do a googl/wiki search to learn more: MPC and it's forks

IMO, it's always been confusing because the projects get abandoned and then someone else restarts them. From that wiki page it seems both CE & BE are still being supported & developed (?). Truthfully I don't even know what version I'm running.

The wiki article suggests the HC may be a bit more complete as far as filter support.

OK thanks for the link. I'll check it out, although I'm sure the differences are beyond my technical understanding of video capabilities & functions.

I gotta admit, I really couldn't say what the differences are. I started using the BE (Black Edition) several years ago - it worked and it was the one I became familiar with. I had to do a googl/wiki search to learn more: MPC and it's forks

IMO, it's always been confusing because the projects get abandoned and then someone else restarts them. From that wiki page it seems both CE & BE are still being supported & developed (?). Truthfully I don't even know what version I'm running.

The wiki article suggests the HC may be a bit more complete as far as filter support.

OK thanks for the link. I'll check it out, although I'm sure the differences are beyond my technical understanding of video capabilities & functions.
Yeah, most of it is beyond my understanding or needs, but it's worked for me. It proved valuable in setting up to output dolby digital 5.1 via hdmi on the pc connected to my reciever (just don't ask me where and what setting had to be adjusted, lol).

I've been using Any Video Converter to download and convert videos to the format I like. it's free but they also have a paid for version. That could be faster, it seems the free one only uses about half of the processing power available

I remember I used that program years ago. Apart from this time, I don't recall the last time I got an error message trying to open a video because of a lack of codecs. But yeah, for whatever reason, I recall using it in the past and it worked very well.

I've been using Any Video Converter to download and convert videos to the format I like. it's free but they also have a paid for version. That could be faster, it seems the free one only uses about half of the processing power available

Back