Where to find cheap SAE-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The transmissions in my truck call for SAE-50 engine oil. Only 50wt is Valvoline racing @ $3.XX A QT and I need several gallons.

I was thinking that SAE40 would be ok. It's a little more common here.

Pep boys is sellin Exxon and Kragen has Shell on sale in SAE30 but not 40. 30 probly too thin? What about 20w-50?

Ideas?
confused.gif

NAPA house brand is available in 40 weight and should be around $1.69 a quart, last I recall. They may also have 50 weight (possibly have to order it).

Must be an old truck though and probably the zddp levels in the modern oil are not enough for what was originally speced. Racing oil would have more zddp. Valvoline VR1 is available in 50 weight, but cost a lot, like about $3.69 a quart.

Could get a zddp adder.

AutoZone and Advance Auto carry a lot of single-grades by Coastal? Or maybe Global. Dirt cheap.

I noticed an Auto Zone near Boston had Coastal SM-rated 5W-20 and 5W-30 for $1.39 a qt. This stuff any good? Nice and cheap for someone that changes every 3K, huh? They also had DuraLast filters for a couple of bucks, too. What's Dura-Last? Fram?

Family dollar has american brand SAE 40.

Juice that up with a little STP zinc gear oil additive.

No family doller, Advanced or parts Plus here.
dunno.gif
I called a truck supply place today and asked for SAE-50. Dude asked me what it was for and after I told him he said "we sell SAE80w-90 gear oil for those". I asked him if it said GL-5 on the bucket and he replied "Yes".

Boneheads! Absolute Boneheads!
banghead.gif

Found 2 oil supply places in town. One deals Chevron and the other Shell. Maybe one of them will have a clue?

Or maybe run ST SAE-40 or the Coastal from A-Zone if the oil supplier is dumb too.

Before giving up on SAE 50, try:

Tractor Supply Co.
Farmers Co-Op
Mack Truck dealer
Peterbilt dealer
Kenworth dealer
Volvo big-rig dealer

One of those is bound to have some SAE 50 in gallon jugs.

FWIW, here's a link to a Mack Truck site with a bunch of brands of SAE 50, if that helps you any:
SAE 50

I can also check with my FIL, who is an OTR truck driver. He might be able to point you in the right direction. I'll check with him tomorrow.

Originally posted by bruce381:
[QB] old road ranger tranny?
sae 50 straight motor oil was a common gear/trans oil for years. PS you need a straight grade a multi like a 20/50 will shear down to a 20-30 wt so look around or email me I'll send yah a few gallons.

bruce

quote:

Originally posted by bruce381:
old road ranger tranny?
sae 50 straight motor oil was a common gear/trans oil for years.
bruce

It's for a 4 speed brownie thats made by spicer. Was built in 69. I assume the 5 speed trans uses the same stuff and was going to do both since I don't know whats in them now.

SAE 50 motor oil is the same viscosity as ISO 220 and roughy SAE 90 gear oil. why not use much eaiser to find SAE 90 gear oil or an ISO 220 industrial gear oil?
it might not be cheap but mobiltrans hd 50 might be what you need.

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
SAE 50 motor oil is the same viscosity as ISO 220 and roughy SAE 90 gear oil. why not use much eaiser to find SAE 90 gear oil or an ISO 220 industrial gear oil?
it might not be cheap but mobiltrans hd 50 might be what you need.

Gear oil has AW additives that are not compatable with some parts in the trans according to Spicer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back