Where to check for cheapest smog test station & certificate in California

I need to get my Wife's 2001 Volvo S-40 (with a whopping 54,000 miles) smog tested, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on where to find (online) the cheapest testing facility?

Thank you!

Ed

I need to get my Wife's 2001 Volvo S-40 (with a whopping 54,000 miles) smog tested, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on where to find (online) the cheapest testing facility?

Thank you!

Ed
I lived in California. At least in California you don't have to get a new car tested for the first five years. In Utah you don't have that luxury. It's every other year regardless of miles. So-there is the only upside other than the weather I can think of about living in California. If you live in Cali and own a home you are not poor.

Isn't the price of a smog test regulated by the state?
Nope, the individual shop is free to charge what the local market will bear. You are not allowed to make a profit on the certificate, but you are allowed to charge a "transmission fee" to make something. Some places only want to do smog inspections for fleets to they price the check high to keep the general public away.

I lived in California. At least in California you don't have to get a new car tested for the first five years. In Utah you don't have that luxury. It's every other year regardless of miles. So-there is the only upside other than the weather I can think of about living in California. If you live in Cali and own a home you are not poor.
I think I will have to finally get my Mustang smogged this year. I will know when I get the registration renewal in the mail in a month or so. I bought the car new in August of 2013 and they kept pushing the date back.

I like that old S40 :D

Even better is the V40 wagon, but still, they're cool cars and you don't see too many of them

Call around; use Yelp, etc.
I doubt you will find more than $5 difference for most places.
If you are in Silicon Valley, there are several in Campbell on Winchester that will get you out for about $45 I think.

In my area I like to go to this local "drive-thru" smog place. They only do smog checks, no repairs, a single bay. You drive in one end and out the other. They seem to be the cheapest and quickest I could find where I live. If you could find a place like that in your area I think it would be probably one of the cheapest solutions. Real automotive shops have a lot more costs so they have to charge more to make a profit.

Just choose the most convenient, saving $10 every 2 years by driving across town is hardly worth it.
True, but I drive across town to get some heat into the cat-con. Most streets are speed limit 30, and a lot of stop signs and lights.
I ask the cross-town guy if he'll accept a competitor's coupon. Most of the time he gives me a break anyway, I've been going to him for so long.

Call around; use Yelp, etc.
I doubt you will find more than $5 difference for most places.
If you are in Silicon Valley, there are several in Campbell on Winchester that will get you out for about $45 I think.
In Oakland, there’s a shop by the lake that will do a smog for $29 if it doesn’t need to go onto the dyno. You do need to show a coupon.

Back