Where to Buy Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF (Dexron)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I am on my no-good work "computer" (tablet)and should probably search from home, but I can't seem to find the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in the gallon size for order anywhere.

I can get Valvoline MaxLife anywhere but I don't want it's seal conditioners until I need them. But I want synthetic.

I don't know if the tranny/diff fluid has ever been changed on the car (98 Camry 2.2L) so I'm going to slowly introduce new fluid to the system. So, on the tranny, I'll be mixing the new synthetic with the old convenational stuff that's been in there for who knows how long (the drain pan only drains about half out without starting the car to flush it). First change it'll be 50%, then when I do it again't it'll be 75% new. Then maybe I'll do the flush.

Last edited:
The dif has it's own fill and drain on the 4 cylinder. The V6 dif can be FILLED from the transmission filler but it has a drain of it's own.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I don't believe it comes in gallons.

I've never seen it in Gallons. Maxlife ATF is a full synthetic and it would work well in your Camry. I'm using it in my 98 Sienna and 97 Civic and they both shift flawlessly.

Save some coin and try the Maxlife ATF first. I used to use the Mobil 1 ATF in the Sienna, but since changing to Maxlife there has been no difference in Tranny performance.

Drop the Pan in the Camry and change the "filter" aka strainer as well and clean the pan while your at it.

Last edited:
Or try pennzoil /QS multi vehicle full syn, meets dexIIIH and jws 3309, under $5 a qt. my 2001 camry 5see does great on it. That tranny does seem to do well on amy atf, from $2 a qt to $20 a qt.

I am not clear why you would not want an ATF with seal conditioners in a 20 year old car? I would use that (and do...).

Last edited:
No gallons? Darn. That's the only brand name i know synthetic I found without seal conditioners. I don't want seal conditioners to swell my seals until she starts leaking, then I'll use MaxLife until I decide to change seals.

Zach1900, isn't QS and Penn oil the same stuff? Synthetic too? I did end up looking up the Pennzoil but I didn't see "Dexron II" so I didn't want to risk it. I'm gonna go look that up now. Thanks!

M1 ATF isn't that great and is way overpriced, approaching $10/qt.

If you want a synthetic ATF but not Maxlife, consider Peak Synthetic ATF from AAP, Castrol Synthetic ATF from Autozone, or Mag 1 Low-Vis from Amazon. Pennzoil also makes a Pennzoil Platinum synthetic ATF.

And I agree with oro, why wouldn't you want the seal conditioners in a 20-yo car? Maxlife is specifically designed with high mileage in mind
smile.gif

And power flushing is a bad idea in any transmission.

All ATF's have seal conditioners.

Mobil-1 ATF is an excellent Dexron3/Mercon/MerconV, and most autopart stores have it in quarts.

There is no need for a multivehicle-universal ATF or low-viscosity ATF in this old transmission, but both can be used.

I do recommend ATF+4(Mopar or equivalent) or any full synthetic regular viscosity ATF for the differential. Mobil1, Amsoil, Redline, RoyalPurple... are some options.

Use a synth blend if budget is limited.

Mobil1:
https://mobiloil.com/en/automatic-transmission-fluid/synthetic-atf
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.aspx

Valvoline option:
http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/au...nsmission-fluid

MPG low visc synthetics, like Peak, Mag1, Castrol, Maxlife,... should work fine but will be dependent on transmission condition.

I'd consider a couple drain/refills with ANY blend to prep the transmission(and to see how it reacts to new fluid).

http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/other-fluids/automatic-transmission-fluid-atf.html
https://mobiloil.com/en/automatic-transmission-fluid/multi-vehicle-atf
http://www.pennzoil.com/other-car-produc...smission-fluid/

If after a couple drain/refills(now and 3-6 months from now) and all is well, drop the pan, clean or replace the magnets, replace the filter, and then either flush with synth or just refill with synth.
Use Aisin or dealer sourced filter, magnets, pan gasket.... aftermarket are hit or miss with quality.

There is no need for a multivehicle-universal ATF or low-viscosity ATF in this old transmission, but both can be used.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
All ATF's have seal conditioners.

Well, I want to use what is absolutely the best and the most compatible. The Valvoline Synthetic Import seems to fit. I don't really understand what the multi-vehicle stuff is. How is it different?

And I'll stay away from the low-viscosity just to be safe. MPG is fine as it is.

Thanks for the links! You linked to the Valvoline conventional import vehicle stuff. I'll get that but in synthetic. Mobil 1 is expensive!

Quote:
I'd consider a couple drain/refills with ANY blend to prep the transmission(and to see how it reacts to new fluid).

Will do. Will only drain what comes from the pan for the first 2 times. Then I'll do an entire drain and refill.

Quote:
If after a couple drain/refills(now and 3-6 months from now) and all is well, drop the pan, clean or replace the magnets, replace the filter, and then either flush with synth or just refill with synth.
Use Aisin or dealer sourced filter, magnets, pan gasket.... aftermarket are hit or miss with quality.

If Aisin is good I might go that route. I actually emailed the guy at the Toyota dealership so I'll see what he has to offer. I'll clean both magnets and filter/strainer. As for the gasket, if cheap enough, I might drop the pan both now as well as when I do the complete drain and flush, just to be safe.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: tjdean01
If Aisin is good I might go that route. I actually emailed the guy at the Toyota dealership so I'll see what he has to offer. I'll clean both magnets and filter/strainer. As for the gasket, if cheap enough, I might drop the pan both now as well as when I do the complete drain and flush, just to be safe.

Aisin is the manufacturer of the transmission for Toyota but you may or may not find those particular parts for sale directly from them. If you do find them then they will be identical to the OEM Toyota branded parts, just missing the Toyota logo.

And the need to slowly introduce new fluid is a total myth. Just change it out through the drain pan like you discussed, or do a cooler line exchange.

The Auto Zones around here carry it in quarts. It is good stuff. I do a drain fill every 30K miles on my 2002 Toyota Tacoma that I've owned since new. Not a single transmission issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back