Where to buy Castrol Formula R 0W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Europe also.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
It is similarly priced to Mobil1 0w-40.

What kind of basestock is used in Castrol RS 0W-40? Group IV, V or is it group III?

quote:

Originally posted by Losiho:
It's Group 4 PAO, probably with Esters for seal swell.

Begs the question, which constituent can you add to oil for Sea Lion swell?
grin.gif

OK...OK...you guys win
offtopic.gif

I thought it was actually group III. Out here (I mean in Poland), this oil is not in a very high regard for some reason. The only Castrol product that people seem to have a good opinion about is the TWS 10w-60.

The Castrol rep told me it was PAO. He was being honest, because he also told me the 5W-30 Formula R/TXT Softec is a Group 3 Hydrocrack. The Formula RS 0W-40 is also labelled as a full synthetic in Europe.

quote:

Originally posted by Losiho:
The Castrol rep told me it was PAO. He was being honest, because he also told me the 5W-30 Formula R/TXT Softec is a Group 3 Hydrocrack. The Formula RS 0W-40 is also labelled as a full synthetic in Europe.

The label "full synthetic" in Europe is no garantuee for group IV or group V basestock.

I've seen a Fuchs Lubricants UK lab report on a recent Castrol RS product (although it was the 10w-60 grade) stating that there's been a change in formulation compared to Castrol RS of previous years. It stipulated that the current formulation appears to be GIII, whereas the old one was PAO. Castrol continues to advertize this oil as "full synthetic" in Europe.

Of course, Fuchs is in a business of selling engine oil as well, so reports of this type may lack the objectivity one would require to accept their findings.

quote:

Originally posted by hungdynasty:
So you mean GIII can be named synthetic in Europe now?

Yes. At least in Norway. Castol, Statoil, Shell... you name it.. they sell "full synthetic" and it's GIII.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
I've seen a Fuchs Lubricants UK lab report on a recent Castrol RS product (although it was the 10w-60 grade) stating that there's been a change in formulation compared to Castrol RS of previous years.

Got the link ?

I honestly believe that the SLX line is the best you can do under the Castrol label...my guess is the ONLY reason you would want the R/RS line, or even the TWS is if you had a high performance machine for which a 30wt was absolutely verboten or not wise to try to use, or if you had consumption issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back