Where to buy aluminum grease locally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to buy some grease to put on the wheel where it contacts the rotor to prevent seizing. I find my front tires are always seized to the rotors every time I need to take them off. So I'm looking for something that can operate at extreme temperatures and is water resistant. The rotors and wheels get very hot during the summer and the car sits outside in well below zero temps during the winter. Water resistance is more important to me than temp range.

Aluminum greases is probably the way to go... anyone know if local parts stores like AZ, AAP, Napa, PB, or WM carry aluminum greases? I am new to greases so I don't browse the grease sections much at these stores. It seems like all they carry is M1, Valvo, and Coastal all of which make lithium complex greases which is less water resistant.

If I were buy a lithium complex grease sold locally... which is one best for temp and water resistance? I'd like to avoid a brand that is going to end up looking like the lithium complex greases seen here. Difficult to tell which brand is better because they are all lithium complex based, most of them say water resistant and all of them are NLGI #2. Finding a good quality grease is harder than finding a good motor oil. My door hinges are also squealing.

Last edited:
I agree with the use of the anti-seize compound. Instead of prying or hammering, I suggest you consider the use of a wheel puller if your wheel situation makes that practical. With some cars, you can pop off the dust cap, and there is a nice centered indentation to press against with the center of the wheel puller.

If you have 6- or 9-spoked wheels, a 3-legged wheel puller can be ideal. With 5 spokes, it still might be usable. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32184

I had wheel bearings messed up by a tire shop using pry bars and hammers. That is when I started thinking about wheel pullers.

Any boat dealer that sells into salt water will have aluminum grease. It is used for trailer wheel bearings, etc.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Any boat dealer that sells into salt water will have aluminum grease. It is used for trailer wheel bearings, etc.

Thanks.

I had a real problem with this on my last car. Any garden variety anti-seize has done a good job and solved the problem. I have tried both the permatex silver and the permatex copper. They both did the job and no problems since.

Just a very thin smear with no blobs on the contact surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back