Where to buy: Aamco Mercon V

After the MUCH recent praising of the Aamco Mercon V by G-Man and others, I decided to call up the local AutoZone stores in this area. Unfortunately, none of them carry Aamco Mercon V, they only sell Castrol Mercon V. [I dont know] Where are you folks buying Aamco Mercon V, especially those in Norcal? Should I call Aamco? Thanks

I got mine at AutoZone, but I haven't been in there in several months so I don't know if my local AutoZone has stopped carrying it. I hope not. [Confused]

The Critic

Actually Tom, I was curious about that myself and e-mailed ExxonMobil. Apparently, they are two different formulas! [Eek!] A quick look at the PDS shows the Aamco MerconV/Dexron-III(H) to have a lower Brookfield Viscosity at -40 compared to the Mobil Multi-Vehicle Fluid. So, the Aamco fluid is either using more PAO, or more PPD, correct me if I'm wrong.
quote:
What about an AAMCO shop?
I thought about that as well, but from what I've been told, most Aamco shops simply use Dexron-III(H)/Mercon + Lubegard M-V (Green) or Lubegard HFM (Black) for most of their servicing. I think I'll give 'em a call though.

The Critic

Aamco Mercon V Product Data Sheet (PDF Format) [Off Topic!] Tom, I came across your fluid analysis in a search. Its very likely that the independent shop used Dexron-III + Lubegard Mercon V (M-V) "Green" Fluid converter for the fluid change. When added at 1oz/qt, the Lubegard additive will bump the viscosity of a normal 7.5cst ATF to about 7.7.