Where to buy 1/2 gal gas cans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need something small to keep gasoline mixed with oil for a 2-cycle engine. A full gallon can is too much - it'll become stale before I can use it up. But I haven't seen anything smaller at Ace Hardware. Maybe WalMart? Anyone seen those anywhere?

Last edited:
I've put used oil in milk jugs and within a few months the jug is very brittle.

Dont let the guy at the gas station see you putting gas into a can thats not labeled as a gas can. They tend to come running at you and screaming things in Arabic.

Put the gas in the small jug at home.

I often carry extra gas for long atv or dirt bike rides in 2 liter soda bottles.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
What wrong with mixing 1/2 gallon gas with oil in a 1 gallon gas can ?
Bingo!

That is the only way I'd do it. I've seen many a "incident" due to someone with gas in a non-gas container.

Some of them were not so "pretty".
37.gif

Use a approved 1 gallon gas container PLEASE. (never seen anything less)

Take care, bill

Fuel cans for naphtha stoves are 1/4 gallon, and should be pretty safe as long as you leave some air space. They're made of Al and have an o-ring sealed screw cap.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Oil jugs are the approprite plastic and plentifull.

What about a half gallon milk jug?
LOL.gif

(Yes, I do remember!)

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Quattro:

Get you one of these.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=NS 1415

If you don't use all the mix by the end of the season, just dump it in your car. These are great little gas cans. I have several in this size, one 2 1/2 gallons, and one 5 gallon.

And I hate to disagree with my friends, but DO NOT put gasoline in a milk jug.

I've got one of those gas cans, it is really good for OPE use.

If you really want a 1/2 gallon can
http://www.gemplers.com/product/G50104/1-2-gal-Type-I-Non-metallic-Oval-Safety-Can

otherwise you could get a 1/2 gallon HDPE lab bottle. It would probably be the cheapest "safe" solution

Originally Posted By: ksJoe
I've put used oil in milk jugs and within a few months the jug is very brittle.

I've put used oil in 5 gal plastic cooking oil container and they were always fine. Same plastic?

I bought some acetone in a 1 litre metal can.

It's mouth was the exact right size for a mower fuel spout, so I fitted that.

Keep my whipper snipper fuel in that.

As an aside, it's illegal to fill a non-earthed container from a bowser down here.

Can't earth a used oil container.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
I suggest adding Stabil.

Stihl oil which I'm using already includes stabilizing additive. Still, they strongly advise against using gas that's more than 90 days old. And at my rate, it'll take much more than 90 days to go through that gallon of gas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
What wrong with mixing 1/2 gallon gas with oil in a 1 gallon gas can ?

Well, I've read that if you don't keep the can filled all the way, the air trapped there just accelerates fuel degradation, so I was hoping to keep that down to a necessary minimum. But if I can't find an approved 1/2 gal can, I will just use the 1 gal one instead. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back