Where to buy 1/2 gal gas cans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For years I've been using an old empty bottle of vodka. I calibrated the bottle with two marks - one just below the neck and one in the neck. I fill to the first mark with gasoline, then top it to the second mark with the oil.

This gives me an easy way to a perfect mix without making a whole gallon and a way to store it.

I use the same gallon of gas for my weed-whacker and chainsaw for all year (and throw out about a 1/3 at seasons end).

Never a issue with the engines. Just the proper amount of Stabil and I'm set.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
+1 for always using an approved gasoline container.

Insurance cos. won't need an excuse to deny claim if something does happen (Lord forbid).

Walmart had metal quart jugs of gas + oil premix in their lawn and garden section. They were expensive and I waited for them to go on clearance... but I never saw them again.

Some guy on a motorized bike forum uses a fancy metal thermos/nalgene type jug for spare fuel and stores it in his water bottle holder.

After katrina there was someone on this board hoarding gas in 5 gal water bottles and one disintigrated in his trunk.

32.gif
4 cycle propane powered trimmers are coming on the market in force. Take those 16.4 oz camping cylinders. Those look like a reliable solution to the stale gasoline problem. I'd like to see a standby generator set up to take a barbecue tank...

In my younger years working in a mower shop I rebuilt many weedeater carbs that had little fibers blocking the inlet screen in the carb. When I asked most of the owners what they used for a fuel can. The single most common reply was "A milk jug". Take it for what its worth. I've never seen a milk jug on fire, But I've seen several get brittle and crack making a mess.

My vote would be a 1 gal fuel can with a dose of stabil and if the fuel starts smelling "off" dump it into something with a larger tank.

At one shop I worked for every ATV, mower, or OPE that came in with off smelling fuel due to setting was dumped into the owners IH tractor. The old tractor didn't seem to mind old fuel and it was used to mow/bushhog and move stuff around the shop. It was a good solution to get rid of stale fuel in a responsible way and we rarely had to buy fuel for the tractor.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Oil jugs are the approprite plastic and plentifull.

Actually both usually are HDPE. The oil jugs have heavier walls and perhaps more stablizer to insure a longer life. Milk jugs are designed to be cheap and short lived. I don't even use them for water.

An approved HDPE gas container may be surface treated to retard vapor migration out.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
snip

32.gif
4 cycle propane powered trimmers are coming on the market in force. Take those 16.4 oz camping cylinders. Those look like a reliable solution to the stale gasoline problem. I'd like to see a standby generator set up to take a barbecue tank...

I am looking at a natural gas conversion. For either see http://www.propanecarbs.com/naturalgaskits.html

Put the unused mixed oil/gas in one of your vehicles gas tank, at the season end.
You car will love it!
I use 2 stroke oil in my fuel every fill up [not heavy concentration, 2-3 ounces/10 gallons fuel].

Are you serious? For some reason I thought that putting 2-stroke oil in my car's tank would be really bad, but I don't know why I thought that.

What if I use premixed gas in a lawnmower that doesn't require oil in gas? Would that be bad for it?

It would probably run just fine. Just mix up enough for a month, what you don't use in a month goes in the car and start over.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
1/2 gallon = 64 ounces

Why not just use a plastic apple juice, Gatorade or milk jug ?

I'd suggest a laundry detergent container, they are made of HDPE like gas cans are.

If you put 1 gallon of 50:1 (2.56 oz of oil) gas/oil in 9 gallons of gas you end up with a 500:1 ratio. A car burning 1 quart every 3000 miles is burning oil at mixed at 600:1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back