Where, oh where can I find Red Line 5w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, people CLAIM it exists, but none of the Red Line sites say anything about it. I'd really like to get my hands on some to try out. Any help?

Have you tried mail-ordering it directly from Redline? It may be worth a try to send them a e-mail for help locating this newer product.

[ May 20, 2003, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: FowVay ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
You can order direct from Red Line.

There aren't many retailers since it is new. You can find one by searching the web. But they are more expensive.

I would check with the site sponsor first and see if they can get it. Plus they have the best prices.

How can I order directly from Red Line when it's not even listed as a product on their site?

quote:

Originally posted by MikeW:
Why bother? Get M1 0w40 at any Autozone.

Because I've tried the M1 0w40, and it has been found wanting. Actually, of all the oils I've tried so far, my car drinks more of the M1 0w40 than any other.

I drive a Saturn that's seen M1 its entire 165,000-mile life, and it's my belief that M1 cooks on the rings just as much as any dino oil. I'm trying the Red Line because it is formulated to withstand much higher temperatures than even Mobil 1. It's also my belief that the ester base of Red Line will do a much better job of keeping things clean than the mostly (and now I think all) PAO Mobil 1.

There aren't many retailers since it is new. You can find one by searching the web. But they are more expensive.

I would check with the site sponsor first and see if they can get it. Plus they have the best prices.

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
Why RedLine 5w-40? Wouldn't 5w-30 be more appropriate?

Too thin. I've been running xw-40 weight oils since it started using.

Reading between the lines, you have a high mileage car that's using oil, and you're hoping some superoil is going to cure it.

Maybe the solution is more mechanical than fluid. Time to tear down and overhaul the engine? Or, if you're not so inclined, either give it cheap oil and let it burn it, or get a new car. 165K on a Saturn. You haven't given the age, but it sounds like you've gotten your money's worth out if it.

quote:

Reading between the lines, you have a high mileage car that's using oil, and you're hoping some superoil is going to cure it.

Maybe the solution is more mechanical than fluid. Time to tear down and overhaul the engine? Or, if you're not so inclined, either give it cheap oil and let it burn it, or get a new car. 165K on a Saturn. You haven't given the age, but it sounds like you've gotten your money's worth out if it.

Well, yes and no. Yes, it has a lot of miles. On the other hand, they're all highway miles and it's a '99. Yes, it uses oil, on the other hand, it's been using at about the same level since 50,000 miles on the odo. At 100,000 miles I replaced the valve stem seals with no effect. I'm not trying to eliminate the oil burning, just to get it to an acceptable level, say 1 quart every 3000 miles.

Fair enough. But if the engine is burning oil, my guess is that it isn't burning on the rings, but going right on past and burning in the combustion chamber.

I don't think this argues for high quality / high priced syth (ie Redline). I think my second choice may be coming into play. Fill it with cheap, good quality dead dino, and let the car drink it. Since you've already done the valveguides, this tends to suggest it's the rings (I'm assuming you've checked for the usual leaks). It doesn't seem like you're of a mind to sell it or tear down the block. At a buck a quart, unless the car is REALLY bad, that would seem to be the most cost effective solution

quote:

Originally posted by kev99sl:

quote:

Well, yes and no. Yes, it has a lot of miles. On the other hand, they're all highway miles and it's a '99. Yes, it uses oil, on the other hand, it's been using at about the same level since 50,000 miles on the odo. At 100,000 miles I replaced the valve stem seals with no effect. I'm not trying to eliminate the oil burning, just to get it to an acceptable level, say 1 quart every 3000 miles.

quote:

Fair enough. But if the engine is burning oil, my guess is that it isn't burning on the rings, but going right on past and burning in the combustion chamber.

I don't think this argues for high quality / high priced syth (ie Redline). I think my second choice may be coming into play. Fill it with cheap, good quality dead dino, and let the car drink it. Since you've already done the valveguides, this tends to suggest it's the rings (I'm assuming you've checked for the usual leaks). It doesn't seem like you're of a mind to sell it or tear down the block. At a buck a quart, unless the car is REALLY bad, that would seem to be the most cost effective solution

quote:

quote:

I'm viewing the Red Line not necessarily as an ultimate solution, but as a next step. If I think I've gotten the oil burning as low as I can short of a tear-down, your dino oil scenario is a fine one. If, on the other hand, using a thicker Red Line gets me that much closer to my 1 quart/3000 miles, why not?

I also have to add that where Saturns are concerned, the oil is likely going right past the rings because of the oil that has already burnt ON the rings, making them stick in the grooves. If I can clean the oil that has coked the rings into place, and then keep them free, then I win. If, on the other hand, the rings are simply worn, there's nothing to be done, but I haven't convinced myself of that yet (based on other Saturns), nor am I burning enough oil (or losing any performance) to the point that I'm willing to spend the time and/or money to tear the engine apart.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:

How can I order directly from Red Line when it's not even listed as a product on their site?

Call them

On another thread, MKOSEM said he had good luck with Delvac 1300 after a Auto-RX run.

This might be a consideration before buying the expensive stuff.

Just talked with Red Line and they do indeed offer the 5W-40 and will accept direct orders. The rep says that its very new and the info will be coming out soon. My local distributor (OG Racing in Manassas, VA) has it on their new product order sheet too. I'm sure our new site distributor for RL is up to speed on this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back