Where is this from? Any idea on age?

That looks like it. A beautiful $450 globe. As Jenny says:

Not very accurate, but beautiful!
Reviewed in the United States on July 23, 2018

This is a beautiful piece. I finally did decide to keep it, although the map is not very accurate - they went for beauty over accuracy.

That's it. While the countries look different, it's because they're made out of different stones. The fonts, etc are the same though. The "Polynesia" in slight cursive, for example.

While I don't doubt that it could be from the mid 90's from a mall...

The stand seems to be true brass, and together it weighs at least 100 lbs.

My mom is not a professional by any means, but she has been a "rock hound" her whole life, and she also believes all the stones in the globe are real.

Here are some more shots.
View attachment 41639
I remember seeing those in malls. Maybe not mid 90s, maybe later? Don’t think it’s anything overly precious, but it’s neat all the same...

That's it. While the countries look different, it's because they're made out of different stones. The fonts, etc are the same though. The "Polynesia" in slight cursive, for example.
Ah, I didn't pick up that the countries are stones. No wonder it's beautiful but lacks a lot of detail.

I remember seeing those in malls. Maybe not mid 90s, maybe later? Don’t think it’s anything overly precious, but it’s neat all the same...

I forget the name of the store but I don't think it exists anymore.

It could also be some kind of high end oddball piece from Pier One Imports or Ethan Allen.

I have awooden chess set. Beautiful staining. Mahogany for black, cream color for white. BEAUTIFUL intricately carved wooden pieces, especially the Knight with one line carve for each hair in its mane... I asked my Dad where he got it from.

He says he does not remember. Said it could be the mall. Said he could see why I would guess Ethan Allen.. but doesn't think it is.

He still has it....

I talked to a colleague from Denmark. He said it looks like they spelled each location how it would have originally been spelled from that particular location. He confirmed the spelling of Kobenhavn as how it would have traditionally been spelled.

They sell these all over China you guys. Stower17 nailed it. Worth a few dollars. I would be surprised if the stand is pure brass...........

^ And then they sell in the mall for like $200? :)

Maybe "On sale!" For $160. Cool. They made like $100-$150...

I think I remember SEEING this globe at or near the entrance to the store.

But I could be wrong..

Back