Where is this from? Any idea on age?

While I don't doubt that it could be from the mid 90's from a mall...

The stand seems to be true brass, and together it weighs at least 100 lbs.

My mom is not a professional by any means, but she has been a "rock hound" her whole life, and she also believes all the stones in the globe are real.

Here are some more shots.
g2.jpg

I bought this for my bride for her birthday the other day. The owner had recently inherited it from a relative that had passed on, and IMHO was just trying to clean out some "junk". I bought it for a song. The more I look at it, the more I think it is something special...or just a fraud. Several of the countries and cities are not spelled correctly. They spelled Jamaica as "Jamaida" and Copenhagen as "Kobenhavn"...is this due to it being just extremely old, or is it from another country?

View attachment 41629View attachment 41630

Could it be Dutch, Swiss or Swede?

For some reason I'm thinking the language striations are making me think of this language (video added because I don't know the language.)

As to country of origin. Guess..

This man's country..

Does it say Afrika?

Or Fjord?

I'd agree with OVERKILL, any merit as a piece of art is ruined by the horrible text. So many different fonts, different sizes, different colors, just awful. A convention in mapmaking is to have city name text sized based on population. They didn't even do that.

Almost every globe is labeled with the maker's name-- either in the middle of the Pacific Ocean or the north or south pole.

Last edited:
The mispelling may have to do with who made it. This is how the English spell Brazil. And this is how the Portuguese spell Brasil. idk

The mispelling may have to do with who made it. This is how the English spell Brazil. And this is how the Portuguese spell Brasil. idk
Again, to the best of my knowledge, there is no language in this world that spells Warszawa with a 't'.

But again, treat it for what it is - a beautiful piece of art, and not a precise geography/science tool.

Again, to the best of my knowledge, there is no language in this world that spells Warszawa with a 't'.

But again, treat it for what it is - a beautiful piece of art, and not a precise geography/science tool.

I don't want to have to be the one to say it... lol... ;)

Back