Where is the oil temperature sensor on Tahoe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched Identifix and couldn't find out where does the engine oil temperature reading is coming from. I can get it on Scangauge and my Maxidas scanner, but I can't figure out where the sensor is. Is it bundled with oil level sensor?
5.3L 2014

Originally Posted By: yugrus
Is it bundled with oil level sensor?

That would be my first guess.

See if the dealer has one one the shelf (not likely) -
memorize it's image (take a picture)
then find where it is on the engine

Here's what it looks like...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,2014,tahoe,5.3l+v8,3305712,engine,oil+temperature+sender,5704

Last edited:
By looking at the picture, it looks like an in pan sensor. Since the pic does not show how many wires it has, it is unknown if it is bundled with oil level sensor, but that would be my guess.

Googled it, but no hits at all for location of said oil temp sensor. So, you must not have a gauge in vehicle, just the ECU reads it. Your not even supposed to know about it...lol

No gauge indeed. The reason for my query is a sort of mystery. I use heater pads on the oil pan and transmission pan. I noticed that no matter how long do I plug in, the oil temp always shows the ambient at the start up. Transmission oil reading is always significantly higher then ambient. After that, engine oil temperature rises about twice as fast as ATF temp, which is to expect.
I thought I had bad heater pad, but no, it works...

Going to put the rig on the hoist tomorrow to see what is going on with the temperature and where everything is.

Thank you Pete, now if I only knew where is it located...

It's Reference# 706

080730TX00-063.JPG

No Merk, that is oil pressure sensor...

Correct, that is the pressure sensor. Its the only 'oil' sensor that they show. I don't have Alldata, I just googled it and its the only oil sensor that results hits. That's where it was located, under the manifold. The Temp sensor would most likely not be there. It would prolly be in the pan.

No gauge indeed. The reason for my query is a sort of mystery. I use heater pads on the oil pan and transmission pan. I noticed that no matter how long do I plug in, the oil temp always shows the ambient at the start up. Transmission oil reading is always significantly higher then ambient. After that, engine oil temperature rises about twice as fast as ATF temp, which is to expect.
I thought I had bad heater pad, but no, it works...

Hmmm, WAG, before you start up, maybe the ECU reads the Ambient "outside" air temp gauge and barometric pressure sensor to map fuel and timing. Does not read oil temp sensor at that time. Just wild guess....you know, technologies and stuff. cough cough

Transmission is a straight hard wire design, gm may use the temp gauge to default its self to limp mode via transmission control module. But the gauge is still of hard wire design.

Last edited:
No Merk, that is oil pressure sensor...

From what I gather on the internet, the oil pressure sensor pulls double duty as an oil temperature sensor.

Originally Posted By: rollinpete

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,2014,tahoe,5.3l+v8,3305712,engine,oil+temperature+sender,5704

Merk, This is all I was going by. Rock auto lists it as an oil temp sensor, we all know Rock auto is always right!

If you look at the enlarged picture, it looks pretty much like the in pan oil level sensor. Its just a guess at this point.

Originally Posted By: KneeGrinder
Originally Posted By: rollinpete

Merk, This is all I was going by. Rock auto lists it as an oil temp sensor, we all know Rock auto is always right!

If you look at the enlarged picture, it looks pretty much like the in pan oil level sensor. Its just a guess at this point.

What they are listing as the oil temperature sensor looks exactly like the coolant temperature sensor. Exactly. In fact, I'm not sure there is a dedicated oil temperature sensor on that engine. The reading on the scan tool may be a calculation based on coolant temp and oil pressure.

Originally Posted By: KneeGrinder

I can't get RockAuto to load for me tonight. I don't know what's going on with them.

So I double-checked, and the heater pad is nice and hot. Oil temperature at start-up still shows ambient. Well, I think it's official now that the oil temperature readings are taken from up above. I suspect the infamous oil pressure sensor is doing double duty. Unless it's calculated, as suggested before.
The reading is going down as expected after the drive with ignition on, engine off. I checked with an hour period.
Something new every day...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back