Where have all the piston singles gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
LT4, I don't have any idea on the actual costs, when broken down per hour, per mile or so on. I tend to be in denial when it comes to aviation related expenses!

Thinking aloud here, My aircraft burns 13.5 gallons the first hour and 9-10GPH thereafter. Yesterday, I paid $7.50 per gallon at SGJ (St. Augustine, Florida) . Plus they were unwilling to waive the overnight parking fee, they did waive the "facilities fee".

At that rate, I'd rather walk. Because, that's foolish money. I can't afford that and neither can most middle class Americans.

I work as an A+P, so I do all of my own work, except the annual. I get a small discount (5%) on parts too.

So, my expenses would be less than the average guy. But, fuel is the #1 expense. While it is still possible to find airports that have "more reasonable" fuel costs, I don't fly to those regularly. Nor are they practical to land at, as most add an hour++ to a trip, just to purchase cheaper 100LL.

Just an FYI, 2000 hours engine life, 10 gallons/hr at $7.50 = $150,000 JUST FOR FUEL!

Last edited:
As for operating costs (we don't want to talk about Total Costs because I have spent a ton on mine) look to the following...

Hangar Rent 280/month or 3366/yr
Insurance 3000 yr
Annual (Inspection only) 450.00
Subscriptions for all the Glass 1100.00

So, without swinging a prop once, it costs me ~8000.00/yr just to dust it. No actual Maintenance included, no cost of aircraft or anything, just what it takes to keep it sitting there.

I am religious about putting at least an hour a week on the engine to keep it in good shape. Less flying is promoting more top/full overhauls as the engines rust. You can either spend money on flying or spend money on metal.

I average these days about 150 hrs a year at ~10gph.

1500 @5.00/gallon is 7500.00

Gas isn't that big of an expense in the total scheme of things, but for someone with a limited budget, it can be the straw that broke the back.

As for why less flying? Price of gas is one thing, cost of flying commercial has come down alot since the 70s, the fleet is getting older, and often times now days you just don't need it. Most of my work is done over the phone or the internet now, service calls are fewer and fewer (although I still fly them when I can).

While some are hurting due to high gas prices luckily the Nice couple that have an aircraft covering business have said that they thought they'd be slow but have four more aircraft projects booked this year. Maybe people went ahead and decided to have major maintenance done on their planes this year over flying them.

It's a combination of fuel price and rental cost. Another big factor is banks are not giving out private loans for flight trainning like they use to, so most of the cost has to be paid up front. The only way to get loans is to do it as part of your degree. I read that commercial cetificates that are issued now is 15% of what it was 10 years ago. Not 15% down but 85% less. A 172 rental is $115 / hr. I use to pay that for a twin at the same flight school in 1998-2000.

Originally Posted By: cheetahdriver

Gas isn't that big of an expense in the total scheme of things, but for someone with a limited budget, it can be the straw that broke the back.

I have to respectfully disagree. Not all light aircraft are in the 7 to 10 gallon per hour range. Our Extra 300L stunt planes are soundly at 30 gallons per hour at high power settings. The 12 gallon aerobatic tank is only good for 20 minutes.

In fact, if you look at Avgas usage statistics, you will see that 70% of the Avgas consumed is done by "high performance" "high compression" or "turbocharged" aircraft. In other words most of the Avgas consumed is done by thirsty aircraft.

Don't forget that 6 cylinder aircraft consume significantly more fuel. And, that is where these fuel prices have been incredibly detrimental.

To put this in perspective. . .fuel (today) at my local airport is $5.79 / gallon. The plane I fly has four fuel tanks which hold a total of 182 gallons. To fill all tanks will cost a salty $1053.78! This plane burns 26 gallons per hour, which if you do the math is $150.54 per hour just in fuel, not counting insurance, annual inspection, engine amortization, routine maintenence etc.. . .so yeah, flying nowadays usually isn't for fun. . .if the plane isn't "working" it probably doesn't fly much these days. . . sad but that's the reality of it. We have many single-engine planes on our ramp that I haven't seen moved in months.

Originally Posted By: Robster
... We have many single-engine planes on our ramp that I haven't seen moved in months.

My mechanic is doing a land office business in tops and full overhauls for exactly this reason. At one point his (relatively small shop) had 6 singles and one twin waiting for engines. An hour a week is a small expense, but people will not do it and then pay much more than that in new metal (which will be gone in a couple of years as well with low usage).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back