Where has all the 5 qt Mobil 1 0W - 16 gone?

Good morning all,

Has anyone tried to find any Mobil 1 0W - 16 oil in 5qt bottles? I have tried 4 different Walmarts, Advanced, and O-Reilly. Cannot even get it on Amazon or Walmart online. What gives? Plenty of 0W - 20 in Mobil 1. Just don't want to switch since thats what the car calls for. 2022 Toyota Corolla Hatch 2.0liter

Thank you for your help and anticipated suggetions.

Sid

Just use 0W-20, the manual even says to use it if 0W-16 is not available, because Toyota knows that it can be difficult to source. They say "it must be replaced with 0W-16 the next oil change" to cover their ass since they tested the car for CAFE purposes using 0W-16 thus they can't just tell people that 0W-20 is fine to run all the time because then they'd be cheating to get higher CAFE.
1652099258002.jpg

Thanks a ton guys. There were no other brands either at Wally world. Didn't check Amazon or anywhere else for other brands. I just figured Toyota was adamant about the 0W - 16.

0W - 20 it is then. I like the heavier weight in the summer months anyway. Not sure what CAFE is. I'll have to research that.

Thank you again and have a great day all.

Sid

Toyota knows that it can be difficult to source.

In this case the OP is specific about not finding it in M1 but the grade is actually popular now. At the Wally’s I go to I can get Castrol, Valvoline, PP, M1, Supertech and a few others in 0w-16.

In this case the OP is specific about not finding it in M1 but the grade is actually popular now. At the Wally’s I go to I can get Castrol, Valvoline, PP, M1, Supertech and a few others in 0w-16.
Supertech 0W-16 was discontinued 2 years ago, I think the parts stores were trying to clear out Castrol a while ago and I don't think I've seen it at walmart or maybe they only carry it in overpriced individual quarts, I don't think I've ever seen PP 0W-16 in person, I've only ever seen Mobil 1 or Valvoline in stores in 5qt jugs,

Not sure what CAFE is. I'll have to research that.
CAFE is Corporate Average Fuel Economy. a standard set by the NHSTA to get companies to produce more efficient cars, the push in the US towards thinner oils is largely to pad the average fuel economy numbers a small bit.

Good morning all,

Has anyone tried to find any Mobil 1 0W - 16 oil in 5qt bottles? I have tried 4 different Walmarts, Advanced, and O-Reilly. Cannot even get it on Amazon or Walmart online. What gives? Plenty of 0W - 20 in Mobil 1. Just don't want to switch since thats what the car calls for. 2022 Toyota Corolla Hatch 2.0liter

Thank you for your help and anticipated suggetions.

Sid
Must be your neck of the woods, according to their website all the stores locally up here have it.

Capture3.JPG

Thanks a ton guys. There were no other brands either at Wally world. Didn't check Amazon or anywhere else for other brands. I just figured Toyota was adamant about the 0W - 16.

0W - 20 it is then. I like the heavier weight in the summer months anyway. Not sure what CAFE is. I'll have to research that.

Thank you again and have a great day all.

Sid
After study and 200k miles of experience with this engine, I would recommend TGMO 0W16, as it is not that expensive. This is absent availability of the AFE. Otherwise Advanced Auto Parts or somebody has a decent price.

Have you tried Pennzoil Platinum at walmart.com ?

5k mile OCI is a good idea. We are all severe service. The CAFE hating clown show on BITOG ignores the fine print from Toyota, and the advice of legitimate experts.

Such as what? Technical advice please, not fear mongering nonsense. Something that shows a lower HT/HS oil protects better than an oil with a higher one.
I will not be providing "technical advice" for the poster who ignored my specifically listed reasons for choosing very thin oil and accused me of "viscosity preening."

And of course you know that I will not be providing advice on BITOG that is even one micron more technical than the ad nauseam statements herein regarding the motivations of CAFE re thin oil.

Again OPs UAO does not alarm me. I say that as a mere consumer, with many miles of experience with this engine family and very thin motor oil.

So in my case Sir, points raised are neither in the realm of the "technical" nor the realm of "feelings," but chiefly rather of personal experience.

I will endeavor to continue providing useful UOAs for this board.

So I issue a friendly counter challenge to you. Why don't you provide persuasive technical advice, showing that SAE/ILSAC testing methods are inadequate ?

I will not be providing "technical advice" for the poster who ignored my specifically listed reasons for choosing very thin oil and accused me of "viscosity preening."

And of course you know that I will not be providing advice on BITOG that is even one micron more technical than the ad nauseam statements herein regarding the motivations of CAFE re thin oil.

Again OPs UAO does not alarm me. I say that as a mere consumer, with many miles of experience with this engine family and very thin motor oil.

So in my case Sir, points raised are neither in the realm of the "technical" nor the realm of "feelings," but chiefly rather of personal experience.

I will endeavor to continue providing useful UOAs for this board.

So I issue a friendly counter challenge to you. Why don't you provide persuasive technical advice, showing that SAE/ILSAC testing methods are inadequate ?
UOA don’t really tell you a thing about “how good” an oil performs, besides those lower HT/HS oils are adequate under most circumstances. You can provide useful UOA all you like but they really don’t contribute to the discussion. And as far as the motivation behind CAFE credits one only has to look at and read the several award letters posted here and elsewhere to have concrete proof of what they say and why. Once you do that you’ll understand owner’s manual wording down to the exact language as well as the motivation to the automaker. It’s crystal clear.

There’s nothing inadequate about testing and I don’t know why you would even bring that up.

UOA don’t really tell you a thing about “how good” an oil performs, besides those lower HT/HS oils are adequate under most circumstances. You can provide useful UOA all you like but they really don’t contribute to the discussion. And as far as the motivation behind CAFE credits one only has to look at and read the several award letters posted here and elsewhere to have concrete proof of what they say and why. Once you do that you’ll understand owner’s manual wording down to the exact language as well as the motivation to the automaker. It’s crystal clear.

There’s nothing inadequate about testing and I don’t know why you would even bring that up.
So the issue is "adequate and efficient" vs "most protective and not as efficient." It is this and not CAFE motives that matter.

Got it.

Back