Where does XOM procure GTL used in its newer formulations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I can find, XOM does not have a large scale GTL plant like Shell or some of the other big hydrocarbon corps. However, most if not all of its recent formulations contain a good amount (~50%) of GTL. Does this mean it purchases from a rival like Shell or Chevron?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
...XOM...recent formulations contain a good amount (~50%) of GTL. Does this mean it purchases from a rival like Shell or Chevron?

Based on?

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
...XOM...recent formulations contain a good amount (~50%) of GTL. Does this mean it purchases from a rival like Shell or Chevron?

Based on?

The OP is probably referring to MSDS published by Mobil. For example, Mobil1 0w-30 AFE shows 20-30% "Distillates, Heavy, C18-50, Branched, Cyclic and Linear", which is GTL produced by the Fischer-Tropsch method.

Not sure how widespread this is through the M1 lineup, but it is relatively new.

Only a purchasing agent or a few other limited people that work for Mobil 1 can answer this, I think. I suspect that "I heard" answers don't count .... or shouldn't count.

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh

Based on?

It's stated in the SDS for a particular oil. For example, all of the new ESP oils now use it, as does 0W-40 FS and AFE. Haven't checked regular M1 and EP.

I'm waiting for Gokhan to shed some light on this or OVERKILL
smile.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
I'm waiting for Gokhan to shed some light on this or OVERKILL
smile.gif

I'm sure the BBQ index will tell the story.

There was a thread back some time ago when we got into some discussion regarding XOM's GTL capabilities and their lack of F-T processes being employed at them at that juncture. This was back when PeterPolyol was still sane and willing to engage in civil discourse with me:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4686761/1

Basically: XOM has GTL capacity and has for ages. BUT, none of those facilities were used to produce base oils. I am doubting that's changed, so they are likely sourcing them as CT8 noted, on the market. They had a number of F-T plants in the works, the biggest one was supposed to rival Pearl, but it went massively over budget and XOM pulled the plug on it. So unless one of the other facilities made it online and they have been mute about it, I'd wager they are not producing their F-T bases in-house.

Originally Posted by Danh

The OP is probably referring to MSDS published by Mobil. For example, Mobil1 0w-30 AFE shows 20-30% "Distillates, Heavy, C18-50, Branched, Cyclic and Linear", which is GTL produced by the Fischer-Tropsch method.
Not sure how widespread this is through the M1 lineup, but it is relatively new.

XOM refers to VISOM as a Group III+ base stock, but their description seems to indicate that it is not made through a GTL process.
Would VISOM not show up as "Distillates, Heavy, C18-50, Branched, Cyclic and Linear"?
I'm genuinely curious and have no idea what the answer might be...

https://www.exxonmobil.com/english-GB/Basestocks/pds/GLXXVisom-Series

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
XOM refers to VISOM as a Group III+ base stock, but their description seems to indicate that it is not made through a GTL process.
Would VISOM not show up as "Distillates, Heavy, C18-50, Branched, Cyclic and Linear"?

I believe that CAS # is specific to the FT process (I.e. GTL).

It's a slack wax I believe I have read this in the past.

I believe that CAS # is specific to the FT process (I.e. GTL).

I believe you are correct. Descriptions of it in past MSDS's have actually stated "Fischer-Tropsch".

Originally Posted by dave1251

It's a slack wax I believe I have read this in the past.

Mobil, and now Exxon Mobil, has been in joint ventures with Ras Gas and Qatargas for many years, developing the North Field in Qatar. I don't think it would be hard to get access to the GTL from Qatar.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I am beginning to like gtl ...
shocked2.gif
I put some Pennzoil Platinum 5Wx30 d1g2 in the freezer (~ 0°F) and after a week in the freezer, it was VERY clear like new oil at room temperature. It didn't look foggy at all.

I took the time to read that thread that dave1251 linked to. That's a classic and should be in the BITOG Hall of Fame.

If you want 100% GTL base oil, then go buy PP or PUP from Sopus. Why bother with M1, which may or may not contain GTL base. Exxon won't even publicly tell you whether they use GTL base or not. What the heck does M1's "Distillates, Heavy, C18-50, Branched, Cyclic and Linear" have to do with GTL base?

Originally Posted by camryrolla
If you want 100% GTL base oil, then go buy PP or PUP from Sopus.
Did SOPUS confirm to you that they use 100% GTL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back