Where do you get an oil analysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the question. I would like to get on done on my car and truck. How much do they cost and what will it tell me about the car? Also does it matter how many miles are on the oil to get it analyzed? Thanks!

They cost anywhere from about $10 up to $40 depending on the level of service you choose.

Here are our site supporters for oil analysis:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/oilanalysis.html

You can analyze the oil no matter what the mileage, but more accurate results will happen if you've got over 5k on the oil.

[ March 17, 2003, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: St.Patrickman ]

quote:

Originally posted by Chris B.:
Thank you for the help! Now all I need is to put 3,000 miles on my oil!

Or more!
grin.gif

I think I'm to worried to put more than 3,000 on it with out the oil change. I have this picture in my head that when the oil hits 3,000 the engine starts to wear much faster...even with Mobil 1!!
I hope the analysis will be ok with 3,000!
grin.gif

quote:

I think I'm to worried to put more than 3,000 on it with out the oil change. I have this picture in my head that when the oil hits 3,000 the engine starts to wear much faster...even with Mobil 1!!
I hope the analysis will be ok with 3,000!
grin.gif

It will be fine, check out this study by one of our members here:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

He's at 6k and Mobil 1 is still going strong!

While not 100% scientific, I evaluated 4 labs side by side, the results are quite interesting from my point of view, as is the oil in quite good condition after 20,000 miles. The 3000 mile change interval is a total marketing myth. Some big guns are speaking out against it currently.

My "ministudy"

Wow! That is a nice test they are doing there!
I'll have to read up a bit more and maybe if I'm convinsed I'll run Mobil 1 longer!

So why the heak do these Camaros/TM's with the ls1 burn oil? Is it because of the oil?

quote:

Wow! That is a nice test they are doing there!
I'll have to read up a bit more and maybe if I'm convinsed I'll run Mobil 1 longer!

So why the heak do these Camaros/TM's with the ls1 burn oil? Is it because of the oil?

No, it's not the oil, although Mobil 1 does burn more than other brands since their 30wt oils are on the very thin side.

The main problem is the design of the pistons, and the PCV system can share some of the blame too.

So the ls1 would still burn oil with conventional oil also? Even though the mobil 1 is burnning does it still protect the engine better than regular oil?

quote:

So the ls1 would still burn oil with conventional oil also? Even though the mobil 1 is burnning does it still protect the engine better than regular oil?

It might burn even more with conventional, especially with a 5w30. It all depends on how thick the oil is, and it's NOACK value too.

As far as Mobil 1 protecting better than conventional oil, it would definitely do better in the extremes, however I've also seen some excellent used oil analysis results on LS1s with conventionals too.

quote:

What would be considered an extream condition for me living in Northern Colorado?

Does Mobil 1 reduce engine wear in normal driving contitions at all? Do you think my ls1 and my 2003 vortec 5.3 engine will last longer (as I plan on keeping them running for 2,000,000+ miles) if I keep on using Mobil 1 faithfully every 3k to 5k miles then they would using plain old Valvoline or something?
Many thanks for the help again!
smile.gif

If you plan on keeping them that long, and will be encountering sub zero temps, then you'll definitely be better off with synthetics over conventionals.

In mild climates though, a person can still get high mileage with a good conventional changed every 3k. But who wants to be under their car that often?

What about really hot temps like 90 to 110 degrees f in the summers, will Mobil 1 help in this also?

quote:

What about really hot temps like 90 to 110 degrees f in the summers, will Mobil 1 help in this also?

Yes, but many conventional oils now are quite up to the task of hot weather, as many of them have flash points over 450 degrees.

What would be considered an extream condition for me living in Northern Colorado?

Does Mobil 1 reduce engine wear in normal driving contitions at all? Do you think my ls1 and my 2003 vortec 5.3 engine will last longer (as I plan on keeping them running for 2,000,000+ miles) if I keep on using Mobil 1 faithfully every 3k to 5k miles then they would using plain old Valvoline or something?
Many thanks for the help again!
smile.gif

Thanks again! Now I'll go get that oil analysis done and see what it tells me! Any predictions?

quote:

Thanks again! Now I'll go get that oil analysis done and see what it tells me! Any predictions?

Yes, I predict once you start doing oil analysis you will be hooked, and you'll be doing every car in your family like I do!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back