Where do you change your oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The shanty came equipped with a separate one-car garage. On the small side but, if the outside rearview mirrors are folded back, the truck can squeek into the shelter.

Unlike the shanty's cellar the garage has a concrete floor.

Laying prone and sucking in the bulbous belly I can access the oil filter, drain plug and assorted zerks on the front suspension.

When it is time to do a more thorough inspection the gravel driveway is used. Plastic ramps for the front backed up by a pair of metal jackstands allows me to take a better look at the undercarriage, looking for leaks, looseness, defects, dead things, etc.

Here is a unique opportunity for ye huddled masses to espy the garage ala shanty... follow the el linko thing and revel in all that is shanty's garage.

Oh yeah.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k11/obbop/Garage3.jpg

Newly painted white interior. A labor of love. I love to sweat while inhaling latex paint fumes. Burp.

quote:

toocrazy2yoo....inquiring minds want to know...twice a week??

No, OldDog..
lol.gif

I was kidding. But under a 3K OCI regimen, I'd be doing it every month. I'm Pennzoil Platinum these days, I'm going 10K/4 months..

Usually on the lawn. We have a nice sloping area that is great for getting the drain plug downhill.

And no, I have never had an environmental catastrophe.

My two door garage with a KILLER stereo that I installed myself. Use a JBL 5.1 system that I had in the house and then wired all the speakers to 4 separate earshot locations with JBL speakers of course....nothing but killer. I jack up the front passenger side, take the tire off and change from inside the tire well. Of course I also have a refrigerator filled with frothy adult beverages.......and my wife wonders why I'm also checking the cars..............

Normally the driveway. In inclement weather, I'll use the garage. I've been thinking lately that I should start to use the garage exclusively so the wind won't blow the oil around.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
On my neighbor's lawn when they're not home. (They used to have one of the nicest looking lawns in town. You'd think the jerks would take a little more pride in the appearance of their property. Oh, well - some people, huh?)

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol.gif
cheers.gif
patriot.gif

I have a 26X34 garage/shop and do all auto/truck related stuff in there. 11ft ceiling, stereo, heat, Satellite TV and a fridge of cold beer/pop. Occassionally I spill a beer and it goes down the drain....but now have a "designated" shelf for beer....haha

When I lived in Denver, my regular Mercedes mechanic would make a deal with me. I'd make an appointment with him for, say, 4:30 on a day convenient for him. I'd bring the oil and buy a filter from him. He'd have one of his mechanics use the electric oil pump to suck all the oil from the engine, and I'd do the rest. I came to him for all the other work on the Benz, so it was a good deal for us both. (Sandor was, and as far as I know is, a master of customer relations.)

Nowadays I do my oil changes right at the curb in front of my apartment, and don't even get dirty. I wear gloves, the filter is right atop the engine, and my Topsider draws all the old oil out with very little effort on my part.

-- Paul W.

Always done in the garage with carboard on the floor. Garage is somewhat narrow so moving around is not exactly easy. Whenever a car is in the garage its always automotive work, rarely every park the car in the garage. I uses floor jack and jackstands. Can't work on car on sidewalk or street, not supposed to do any automotive work on the street.

I have a pretty nice garage but it is usually cluttered. I have a paved but sloping drive way. I usually change oil in the drive way but will change it in the garage when it is snowing/raining.

I use cardboard for its insulating properties. Here in Michigan I'm always fighting the cold. I'll work on my cars in the garage as long as the outside temperature is above 26°F (below that, metal is too cold on the hands). The cardboard makes it that much warmer to lay on the garage floor.

I use a big piece of cardboard for a drop sheet. I bought a pad from autozone that folds out about the size of a creeper. Drive the car up on ramps in my driveway. Plenty of room to work and if I make a mess the cardboard catches most of it. Works well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back