Where can I get alot of used motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working on a little project with a small diesel engine that will power a generator. The engine can run rather well on (filtered) used motor oil, mixed with a little diesel fuel once warmed up. This engine will run continously, so it needs cheap fuel. Does anyone have any thoughts on where I could get some used motor oil? Would a jiffy lube kind of place want to have anything to do with me?

Its a good chance that the larger chains are getting paid for thier used oil. Your best bet would be to go to a smaller independent lube center or even a garage, depending on how much you want to pick up at once. If you look close enough, you may even find a mobile service with the tanks on a vehicle which could bring it to you when they get full.

Adam

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
Would a jiffy lube kind of place want to have anything to do with me?

I doubt it. Too many EPA regs that a huge franchise like that has to deal with. Check with some local, independant trucking companies nearby. They would most likely be more open to helping you out.

FWIW....my father was in the heating oil/diesel fuel biz for 40 years and one of his customers (a gas station) had a furnace/burner combo that burned waste oil. That guy heated his whole shop with nothing but what he drained from customers cars. Worked pretty darn good since I only recall 2-3 times that my uncle had to go there to fix the thing (in the 10 years or so that he had that system).

Mikep

How much do you guys think an independent place would want for their oil, if anything?

quote:

I'm working on a little project with a small diesel engine that will power a generator...

Just out of curiosity, could you post some more details about your project and / or the engine?

ZM,

I think your generator would be more reliable and it would be better to use the diesel straight than to carbon up the combustion chambers with the used oil. And the exhaust would contain all kinds of nasty stuff.

That depends on how much extra trouble they will have to go to for you to get it. Some places have to pay a few cents per gallon to get rid of it. I personally pay $99/yr for as much as I can generate. If you make it easy for them to collect it for you, I can't believe you would have a hard time finding someone to give it to you for nothing. You might offer a small amount a gester for their time.

quote:

Originally posted by grcmptrnrd:

quote:

I'm working on a little project with a small diesel engine that will power a generator...

Just out of curiosity, could you post some more details about your project and / or the engine?

The engine will be a lister copy, like this one: http://www.utterpower.com/listeroi.htm. Makes about 6hp, but lasts for about 10 years when run 24/7.
shocked.gif
Sure, it won't run it's best on motor oil, but there are some things that can be done to make it run better. (like preheating the oil) This will power a 12v alternator that I am building, which will feed into a power inverter. That will then hook into my house wiring, and will actually spin my electric meter backwards!
grin.gif
If everything works the way I want it to I could make about ~$200 a month, just burning used oil and giving it back to the power company.
cool.gif

It would probably run better on something like used hydraulic oil (less garbage in it).

Try a local hydraulic contractor, or maybe a utility.

ZMoz,

Please please please use a mains disconnect switch. Unless the frequency and phase from the power line exactly matches your inverter, big time smoke will follow.

Your lucky where you are as in NY you cann't transport more than 5 gallons of waste oil as any more than that it's H/W
dunno.gif
Also if you have a accident that would be one messy crash
shocked.gif

BTW HOW are you going to transport this stuff??

If your intent on using used oil I second the used hydraulic oil.

Fewer additives and no combustion by-products like motor oil.

The place to look may be tractor repair shops.

quote:

I'm working on a little project with a small diesel engine that will power a generator. -*-*

I'd consider first to go with an off-road fuel. It is usually dyed redish in color and you don't pay the fuel tax so you save I think about 30-40 Cents a gal. This will "pay" for any treatments.

All diesel motors I would treat with a fuel treatment and now more so than ever if you are going to use normal diesel instead of the off-road stuff because it is going to be phazed-out to the low sulfer (EPA-regs) stuff.

I'd stick with a good diesel oil with a good high TBN, and treat the fuel, This IMHO will be better than attempting to burn used oil.

Put an ad in the local paper for do-it-yourself oil changers (like most of ourselves) to bring you their used motor oil. Explain why you want it and that you only want motor oil. You'll probably be swamped in no time.

DEWFPO

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:

quote:

I'm working on a little project with a small diesel engine that will power a generator. -*-*

I'd consider first to go with an off-road fuel. It is usually dyed redish in color and you don't pay the fuel tax so you save I think about 30-40 Cents a gal. This will "pay" for any treatments.

All diesel motors I would treat with a fuel treatment and now more so than ever if you are going to use normal diesel instead of the off-road stuff because it is going to be phazed-out to the low sulfer (EPA-regs) stuff.

I'd stick with a good diesel oil with a good high TBN, and treat the fuel, This IMHO will be better than attempting to burn used oil.

This engine is going to be run on free/nearly free fuel. What I am trying to do would make absolutely no sense if I was paying $1 a gallon.

quote:

Originally posted by hannaco:
Instead of using used motor oil, how about using used fryer oil from a fast food joint? You could make BioDiesel from it, or burn it as is. To pre warm it, you could run a loop of hot water from the motor.

I've heard about that before, but just about the only way to get that is to dig through the dumpsters of fast food places - and I'm not about to do that.
smile.gif
Actually, it will probably run on almost any kind of oil I can find, motor oil, fryer oil, hydraulic oil, whatever.

quote:

Originally posted by DEWFPO:
Put an ad in the local paper for do-it-yourself oil changers (like most of ourselves) to bring you their used motor oil. Explain why you want it and that you only want motor oil. You'll probably be swamped in no time.

DEWFPO

Most auto parts places take oil for free don't they? I don't see why people would bother bringing it to some weirdo who wants used oil when they could just take it to the auto parts store.
grin.gif
Also I live in a relatively small town that is out of the way to alot of people around here, I've run into that problems a few times in the past when running ads for a garage sale. Nobody knows where I live...

[ November 02, 2003, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: ZmOz ]

Consider the local airport. General aviation aircraft get frequent oil changes and often times the small turbine aircraft oil is quite clean. I dispose of my auto oil at work (airport) and I do know that the 500 gallon tank is full every month. The person that empties the tank is EPA certified to transport and dispose the oil. He mentioned that the airport waste oil was good quality and was used in large ships as fuel.

FWIW, a few years back, the previous oil disposal company was dumping drain oil in the everglades. Thank god he got caught.

I do not think the oil has much value.

The link for the engine did not work. Could you please try again. Also, I would like some more info on the setup you have in mind. Is the alternator the brushless type? One thing I think makes total sense today is the electornic inverter type generator, as it can produce 60HZ at any engine RPM. This allows the engine to modulate RPM as the power needs vary.

Chris

DEWFPO hit the nail on the head!!
A guy not far from me runs a heater 24/7 that heats his garage using used motor oil.
Alot of the locals take it there! He has PLENTY!!
Word will get out.

quote:

Originally posted by Cujet:
The link for the engine did not work. Could you please try again. Also, I would like some more info on the setup you have in mind. Is the alternator the brushless type? One thing I think makes total sense today is the electornic inverter type generator, as it can produce 60HZ at any engine RPM. This allows the engine to modulate RPM as the power needs vary.

Chris

Here's the link: http://www.utterpower.com/listeroi.htm
The engine will be turning a modified induction motor, which will produce 12v DC. That will be fed into a grid tie inverter, a power inverter specifically meant for hooking up to the grid. Then the electric company will come out and install a meter that runs backwards, around here they are required by law to do that for free.
grin.gif
Then they have to pay me around 5 cents/KWH or whatever the current wholesale electricity cost is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back