Where can I find specs for the Fuchs GT1 0w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil is available here @ S$100/4L. Im interested in trying this oil next, but I cant seem to find any specs for it on the fuchs.de website.

Ken, I'm curious, why would you try an 0W-20 in Singapore?
Here is a MSDS, is as far as I can get, it does mention a TDS, but I can't find it.

http://203.55.180.130/fuchs/

check out the ingredients list - top secret or what?

quote:

TITAN GT1 is a revolutionary new product, the first of its kind in the world. Developed in the Fuchs Group’s major R&D centre in conjunction with a German-based research facility, TITAN GT1 is formulated with unconventional base oils and additive chemistry which is unique to the Fuchs Group.

No zinc.
shocked.gif

Dave

[ April 27, 2004, 05:12 AM: Message edited by: DavoNF ]

Thanks! I've used 50wt, 40wt & 30wt on my vehicles and it doesnt seem to have show significant difference in wear. Im going to move on to a 20wt now and see what kind of HORRIBLE wear it gives
grin.gif

Here is the info I gathered from the link you provided:

quote:

Specific Gravity = 0.87 @ 15°C/typical
Flash Point = 238°C typical (ISO 2592)
Vis @ 40°C = 50mm2/s
Vis @ -30°C = 3200 mPa s
Vis @ 100°C = 8.9mm2/s
Viscosity Index = 160

Found on Fuchs SG website product description:

quote:

Titan GT 1 is a New Generation Premium Fully Synthetic Engine Oil for all high performance cars with gasoline or diesel engines. First of its kind to feature a 0W20 engine oil without a viscosity improver for high temperature and high shear stability in tropical climate. First environmentally friendly engine oil to be developed from biodegradable base oils and does not contain ZDTP(Zinc) additive. Guaranteed to extend the life of expensive catalytic converters in all modern passenger cars.

From the Fuchs SG website FAQ section:

quote:

What are the differences between Titan Supersyn SL '5W40 & 5W50' and Titan GT1 0W20?

Titan GT1 0W20 is an ester base fully synthetic engine oil, whereas Titan Supersyn SL '5W40 & 5W50' are PAO & MC (Molecular Converter) base type fully synthetic engine oil. Ester synthetics are more expensive and have better advantages over normal synthetic oils. And is 100%++ better than mineral engine oil.

Titan GT1 0W20 performance level is very much higher: Lower oil's friction drag, higher shear and temperature stability, very high lubricity, the viscosity is lighter/thinner therefore better flow-rate and cooling rates due to higher oil circulation within the engine. Refer to the attached folder or technical specification about the Titan GT1 0W20.

[ April 27, 2004, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: Ken4 ]

I finally picked up 4 bottles. Here are the pics:

Front of bottle

Back of bottle

The odour smells exactly the same as Castrol SLX! It's difficult to describe the odour in words, but if I had to describe it, I'd say it's mildly fragrant with light hydrocarbon smell. Colour of oil is amber. And it's Made in Germany!
fruit.gif

[ May 18, 2004, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: Ken4 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
I finally picked up 4 bottles. Here are the pics:

Front of bottle

Back of bottle

The odour smells exactly the same as Castrol SLX! It's difficult to describe the odour in words, but if I had to describe it, I'd say it's mildly fragrant with light hydrocarbon smell. Colour of oil is amber. And it's Made in Germany!
fruit.gif

What kind of car are you going to use this in? Are you going to do a VOA and a UOA, or just a UOA?

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
Here is the info I gathered from the link you provided:

quote:

Specific Gravity = 0.87 @ 15°C/typical
Flash Point = 238°C typical (ISO 2592)
Vis @ 40°C = 50mm2/s
Vis @ -30°C = 3200 mPa s
Vis @ 100°C = 8.9mm2/s
Viscosity Index = 160

In addition to a.m. info:

Pour Point .... - 45 C
TBN .............. 13.5

Thanks Primus! Now if only we can find the HTHS, that would make the specs complete.

G-man, it's going into my 2000 camry 2.2L first. If I find the wear acceptable, I'll also use it in my 2002 toyota ipsum 2.4L. Then maybe my 2000 grand vitara V6. No, I dont plan on doing any VOA. Only UOA.

I'd love to know what the base oil is.

It says "rapidly bio-degradable". Maybe some sort of revamped castor oil - as a wild guess. I'm sure it is of vegetable origin.

Dave

Well according to the handbook given to me, it says:

quote:

Base Fluids

Biodegradable Base Oils for Lubricants

The main 'chemistry' concerning biodegradable lubricants is different types of ester oil, e.g.:

1. Vegetable oil from harvestable raw materials, for example rapeseed or sunflower oil.

2. Semi-saturated, transesterified ester oils with natural fatty acids, for example trimethyolepropanetrioleate.

3. Fully saturated, synthetic esters based on chemical modified vegetable oils or mineral oil, for example Diisotridecyladipate.

My guess would be 3, since it's marketed as a premium synthetic biodegradable ester based oil. It is also unlikely it is polyolesters such as trimethylolproane esters or glycerol trioleate, since these do not fall under the catergory of biodegradable base oils.

It goes on to say:

quote:

The lubricants industry has invested significant sums of money in developing and marketing biodegradable lubricants. Natural fatty oils such as castor oil, palm oil, rapeseed oil, soybean oil, sunflower oil, lard, degras and sperm oil have been used in lubricants for years. They are so-called triglycerides of more or less unsaturated fatty esters. This type of base is biodegradable and, compared to mineral oils, will show excellent tribological qualities (low friction coefficient, good wear protection). Their range of use is limited by lower stability against thermal oxidative and hydrolytic stress and partly inferior cold flow properties. These limits can be improved gradually either with additives, or with the selection, cultivation or genetically modification of new types of plants. With new types of 'High oleic sunflower oils' (HOSO) with an amount of oleic acid of more than 90% it seems possible to formulate oils for higher performance levels.

Since rapeseed oil is the dominant crop in Europe, it is possible that Fuchs has chemically modified and fully saturated this rapeseed oil to a high performance level. Assuming GC uses FUCHS proprietary base oil chemistry, this would be one reason why GC cannot be produced in the US, but has to be imported from Germany. But GC can be produced in Malaysia, which could possibly mean it can also be formulated from palm oil! Since palm oil is the dominant crop in Malaysia.

[ May 19, 2004, 04:54 AM: Message edited by: Ken4 ]

Interesting.

quote:

Natural fatty oils such as castor oil, palm oil, rapeseed oil, soybean oil, sunflower oil, lard, degras and sperm oil have been used in lubricants for years.

I can just imagine a sump full of lard on a cold winter morning.
lol.gif
lol.gif

Dave

Dave,
I certainly "feel" like a sump full of lard as I contemplate getting out of bed and scraping the ice off the inside of the windows on a cold Lithgow morning.

Just did my first fuel economy testing with this oil on my camry and I must say I am amazed! Example:

Previous:

Oil: SPC 0w30
Vis@100C: 9.9cSt
Fuel: Caltex Vortex Platinum
0-100kph: 11.12 secs
FC: 8.6 km/L (mostly city driving with three 0-100kph sprints)

Now:

Oil: Fuchs 0w20
Vis@100C: 8.9cSt
Fuel: Caltex Vortex Platinum
0-100kph: 11.17 secs
FC: 9.7 km/L (mostly city driving with three 0-100kph sprints)

Im getting the best fuel economy EVER! Better than any other oil I've tested. Power wise though, I cant seem to see any improvement. But the Caltex Vortex Platinum 98 is so far the best fuel I've tested, better than Shell V-Power 98 in both power and fuel economy. Fuels seem to make a biggest difference in power rather than oils.

quote:

Originally posted by Losiho:
Ken, did you notice any increase in engine noise with the thinner cSt oil ?

Using Pennzoil 5w20 in the 3.5 HO in my Chrysler, I haven't noticed any increase in engine noise.

quote:

Originally posted by tdi-rick:
'thougt you locals pronounced it
"Liff-go"
grin.gif

Rick.
(ducking for cover)

Rick,
no need to duck, the locals DO say it that way. Fortunately I've only been here for 12 years.

Losiho, noise is about the same as with the previous 30wts and 40wts I've tried. 50wts do make it quieter, but only during WOT. Normal driving though, cant tell the difference.

Sprintman, thanks! Now the specs are complete! I am really impressed with the exceptional fuel economy of this oil. I think I have finally found my holy grail! Step aside GC....here comes Fuchs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back