Where can I find mobil 1 0W-40 in Canada (Québec)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oz,

This will get you more confused ...

The SAE only requires that xw-30 oils sold in the US have a minimum HT/HS viscosity of 2.9 Cp. To meet the European A3/B4 specs requires a HT/HS > 3.5 Cp, which is 20% thicker than the SAE requirement.

That's why most xw-30 oils sold in the US, including the xw-30, Mobil 1 formulations, don't meet the ACEA viscosity specs ....

To confuse you even more, the latest ACEA "A5/B5" spec calls for HT/HS in the 2.9 Cp to 3.4 Cp range.
These are the low viscosity synthetics I have referred to. The current Mobil 1 does meet these specifications.

If you spend about a week reading through the Lubrizol site: 3w.Lubrizol.com this will all be very clear to you. Or maybe your head will just explode
wink.gif

TooSlick, does the Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 meet the "high temp/high shear viscosity of 3.5 centipoise @ 150C"? The website does not specify the temperature, and the 5W-30 ASL is 3.5 @ 100C.

Thanks.

Oz,

Just to clarify ...the Mobil 1, 0w-30/5w-30/10w-30 DO meet the ACEA, A5/B5 specs. Take a look at those tests, they mandate the use of low viscosity oils. I don't think any petroleum oil as thin as Mobil 1, 5w-30 could pass these tests. For one thing, it would be too volatile and would thicken too much during the test ....

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Oz,

Just to clarify ...the Mobil 1, 0w-30/5w-30/10w-30 DO meet the ACEA, A5/B5 specs. Take a look at those tests, they mandate the use of low viscosity oils. I don't think any petroleum oil as thin as Mobil 1, 5w-30 could pass these tests. For one thing, it would be too volatile and would thicken too much during the test ....

Sorry TooSlick, my post previous was targetted towards other oils.

Regards,

Oz

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Oz,

This will get you more confused ...

The SAE only requires that xw-30 oils sold in the US have a minimum HT/HS viscosity of 2.9 Cp. To meet the European A3/B4 specs requires a HT/HS > 3.5 Cp, which is 20% thicker than the SAE requirement.

That's why most xw-30 oils sold in the US, including the xw-30, Mobil 1 formulations, don't meet the ACEA viscosity specs ....

To confuse you even more, the latest ACEA "A5/B5" spec calls for HT/HS in the 2.9 Cp to 3.4 Cp range.
These are the low viscosity synthetics I have referred to. The current Mobil 1 does meet these specifications.

If you spend about a week reading through the Lubrizol site: 3w.Lubrizol.com this will all be very clear to you. Or maybe your head will just explode
wink.gif

TooSlick,

Thanks for the heads up on Lubrizol. I'll check that later. But the fact that North American 30wts. cannot pass A3/B4 - let alone A5/B5 - says a lot about how long they can protect...and possibly how well also.

Regards,

Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back