Where can I buy Mobil grease Special?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I bought my 98 4Runner new I also purchased 6 tubes of grease to use on the driveshaft u-joints. At 170,000ish miles I just used up my last tube.

I purchased the grease through a former employer. It was marked "Mobil grease Special"
"Premium Lubricating Grease with Moly"
"X10G9 71924 96106"

I'd like to keep using the same stuff but I'm having a hard time finding it. Any ideas? Is this grease really "Special" or would it be OK to switch brands? Thanks....

Back in the late 70s and early 80s we used lots of Mobil Special grease; it was okay but nothing super special. It didn’t have a whole lot of moly in it but it was okay for general purpose use in light to medium duty applications. What it wasn’t good for was staying around very long; it was rather on the thin side and not all that tacky. As of about two or so years ago I still ran across Mobil Special but I can’t find it on their site anymore.
If you want something close to it and easy to find Valvoline has a couple of greases that are close to it, as do most other lubricant companies.

If you want to step up a notch look for a 5% moly synthetic such as Cat Dessert Gold. Again most lube companies have grease such as this but the Dessert Gold is easy to find by the tube at Cat dealers.

That said, there is some controversy about using moly grease for U-Joints, I do it with great results but others may argue non moly grease such as Chevron Delo or Ultra-Duty, of Mobil Delvac would be a better choice.

I have used a lot of the Chevron Ultra-Duty grease as it is what we switched to from Mobil Special. It’s tacky and stays put, Chevron Black Pearl would be a good cross from Mobil Special but none of these are going to be as easy to find as Valvoline grease from NAPA for example or Shell grease from Wal-Mart.

Originally Posted By: CJWink
Back in the late 70s and early 80s we used lots of Mobil Special grease; it was okay but nothing super special. It didn’t have a whole lot of moly in it but it was okay for general purpose use in light to medium duty applications. What it wasn’t good for was staying around very long; it was rather on the thin side and not all that tacky. As of about two or so years ago I still ran across Mobil Special but I can’t find it on their site anymore.
If you want something close to it and easy to find Valvoline has a couple of greases that are close to it, as do most other lubricant companies.

If you want to step up a notch look for a 5% moly synthetic such as Cat Dessert Gold. Again most lube companies have grease such as this but the Dessert Gold is easy to find by the tube at Cat dealers.

That said, there is some controversy about using moly grease for U-Joints, I do it with great results but others may argue non moly grease such as Chevron Delo or Ultra-Duty, of Mobil Delvac would be a better choice.

I have used a lot of the Chevron Ultra-Duty grease as it is what we switched to from Mobil Special. It’s tacky and stays put, Chevron Black Pearl would be a good cross from Mobil Special but none of these are going to be as easy to find as Valvoline grease from NAPA for example or Shell grease from Wal-Mart.

Thanks for the info...

Originally Posted By: CJWink

If you want to try the Cat grease, try to purge most of the old grease from the u-joints when you first use it. The Cat grease uses a calcium sulfonate complex thickener and may not be totally compatible with the old grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back