where can i buy a tread gauge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I went to Sears to have my tire repaired and rotated. When the guy was writing down the info he used this tread measurement device and I was wondering if I can buy it somewhere and how much it would cost. It seems pretty neat.Thanks

Pretty much any auto parts store in the country will have them in stock. I bought mine at Pep Boys. Can't remember the cost but prolly around 5 bucks.

Throw it in your center console so it's handy when you want it. When the wife is shopping her brains out at the mall, take your tread gauge and your digital tire gauge and check the tires of all the cars in the parking lot. Hours and hours of non-stop fun!!!!

I got a nice one at AAA. It is colour-coded so when I show the measurement result to someone they see green, yellow or red...if I spoke in 32/nds they just WOULN'T get it. No mm marking on it is nice too, although mm is an ideal unit for this.

Also, since most tires come with 10-11 32/nds I explaint the measurment to people as a percent of the original tread. 5/32nds means half tread.

For years the Tire Safety Council sold a tread gauge, a pressure gauge, a book on tires, and four valve caps for little more than the cost of postage.

Cooper Tires has taken on the project:

http://www.coopertires.com/us/en/safety/safety_kit.asp

For $4.50 you get an air pressure gauge, tread depth gauge, and four tire valve caps.

The gauges are accurate and the price is right.

Don't all tires come with treadwear indicators? I haven't had a tire without them since, well, since ever, I think.

You could use a penny to check minimum tread depth. Make sure Lincoln's head shows.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back