Where are you getting tires mounted and balanced?

That’s a weird dealership, the Toyota and Honda dealers near my work sell tires at a price about the same as any other tire place around here and not that far off Tire Rack. Not a great selection (mostly Yokohama) but the price is good.
At my dealership to get a set of just plain old whatever name brand tires you like is about $800 that is tires and mount and balance and they don’t carry my size either. My discount is only about 10% sometimes my boss will give me 20% but for all four tires mount and balance at Sam’s club was around $350 or so.

Last edited:
I do Walmart I have a local guy do alignment. Never had an issue with balance or scratches (granted smallest sidewall we run is 60). Do not do Discount Tire, they have a tendency to just leave lug nuts off cars, especially if you have wheel locks (I’ve met a few non car people with 4 lug nuts in their wheels that have told me they went to discount tire). They also wouldn’t know a torque wrench if you beat them with it. Had them patch a tire on my wife’s car and I had to use a big cheater bar over a breaker bar to break the lug nuts off and ended up having to swap out the warped rotors. Their HQ is up the street from my house and I’ve been tempted to buy a HF torque wrench and hand deliver this new piece of technology to their leadership team.

I do Walmart I have a local guy do alignment. Never had an issue with balance or scratches (granted smallest sidewall we run is 60). Do not do Discount Tire, they have a tendency to just leave lug nuts off cars, especially if you have wheel locks (I’ve met a few non car people with 4 lug nuts in their wheels that have told me they went to discount tire). They also wouldn’t know a torque wrench if you beat them with it. Had them patch a tire on my wife’s car and I had to use a big cheater bar over a breaker bar to break the lug nuts off and ended up having to swap out the warped rotors. Their HQ is up the street from my house and I’ve been tempted to buy a HF torque wrench and hand deliver this new piece of technology to their leadership team.

The Discount Tire Store(s) near you apparently-very few complaints from those on here who have purchased tires from them.

I just bought 4 tires from them. I saw the Tires on Sams club .com-didn't want to wait every time to have them balanced-so I figured I would ask if DT would match the price and they did.
4-Nexen Roadian HP 275/55/20 XL $637.00 mounted and balanced. Try to find decent tires under $1,000.00 for a truck that has 20" wheels. BTW-had them on another truck and they have stiffer sidewalls for towing and are excellent in the snow.

4-Nexen Roadian HP 275/55/20 XL $637.00 mounted and balanced. Try to find decent tires under $1,000.00 for a truck that has 20" wheels. BTW-had them on another truck and they have stiffer sidewalls for towing and are excellent in the snow.
That's ridiculously cheap. My truck takes 275/65/18 and Discount Tire shows these to be $171/tire for the Nexen Roadian RH5.

That's ridiculously cheap. My truck takes 275/65/18 and Discount Tire shows these to be $171/tire for the Nexen Roadian RH5.
RH-5 is a higher priced tire to begin with. But the Roadian HP while having a lower tread wear rating has SUBSTANTIAL more load carry capability (remember it's an XL) than the RH-5. AND it's priced less.

The Discount Tire Store(s) near you apparently-very few complaints from those on here who have purchased tires from them.

I just bought 4 tires from them. I saw the Tires on Sams club .com-didn't want to wait every time to have them balanced-so I figured I would ask if DT would match the price and they did.
Largely I’ve found that tire shopping online shipped to my door is cheaper for the sizes I need. I was commenting on quality of work regardless. Love to see what the measured torque is when you get your wheels on because I’ve been to three discount tire locations and have rarely seen even a torque stick being used.

Largely I’ve found that tire shopping online shipped to my door is cheaper for the sizes I need. I was commenting on quality of work regardless. Love to see what the measured torque is when you get your wheels on because I’ve been to three discount tire locations and have rarely seen even a torque stick being used.
All the local stores price match the online places. Plus if you have a warranty issue, it's much easier to deal with it locally from the store you bought it from. Lately Costco for me has been beating everyone. Their prices are cheaper for the tire and then you get the road hazard, free balance, free rotation all for around $20 a tire. I just checked the tire I use and Costco has it for the same price as Tirerack, but Tirerack only gives you a 2 year road hazard and it's 5 years at Costco. Plus you won't find any place to mount and balance those tires with free lifetime rotation and balancing. You need balancing these days, only way to tell if you have a bent/cracked rim....

Must be your store. They use tq sticks and a tq wrench here

I use a local mom & pop outfit, they charge $15 for mount/balance. I took my car in over the summer to get two wheels balanced and they charged me $10 for both.

Costco usually.

But for the Prius, I'm thinking about ordering a set of General RT43s,, Sumitomo HTR A/S P03 or Yokohama Avid Ascend GTs and giving a $100 bill to the local tire shop in the Mexican part of town. It's at the age where Michelins are too nice, I won't install Bridgestone(the other choice at Costco) or use Chinese.

So glad I bought a tire machine and balancer years ago. Not as much for saving money but the convenience of not lugging tires to a shop.
I could see that for swapping winter and summer tires back and forth (though a dedicated set I'd just have dedicated rims for), or non-vehicle tire like a tractor/mower, but when buying tires online you can get them delivered direct to the shop mounting them.

You need balancing these days, only way to tell if you have a bent/cracked rim....

?? I never rebalance tires unless the weight fell off. Then again I can't recall the last time I had a bent/cracked rim, though it's not due to lack of potholes, rather I just don't have cars with very low profile tires.

For the Michelin tires on my Explorer, I bought them on Tire Rack and had them shipped to and installed at local Tires Plus. Installation cost about $100 total... They did a good job and it was easy...

?? I never rebalance tires unless the weight fell off. Then again I can't recall the last time I had a bent/cracked rim, though it's not due to lack of potholes, rather I just don't have cars with very low profile tires.
Well the crazy trend these days is low profile tires, you can't get normal profile tires anymore. I have a set of 40 series and another 45. The 40's I've had a few bent/cracked rims. The 45's I've just had a couple bent rims. Never had bent or cracked rims when I had 60 series tires. Too many fools out there who think low profile tires look cool so the car market ends up responding to them but don't care that you get bent/cracked rims and flat tires after the sale.

Mine are 265/70R16 and I got them at Sam’s Club. Sam’s has a much larger selection of tire brands and models than Costco. You can order online and they ship to the store. Very good prices better than Tire Rack. I am using the Michelin X LT tires now. There is a local tire store I use if just need mounting they charge $15/tire.

Discount Tire here.

Just swapped the tires on my Camaro from summer run flats to Michelin A/S 3+ (245/40R20 and 275/35R20). Amazing customer service, took really great care of my wheels which are brand new. Asked for black wheel weights and they placed them neatly, as well. Not a single mark, ding or scratch on the finish of the carbon flash black wheels.

Road force balancing as well, which is always good.

Sure Walmart takes appointments, but keeping them is another matter entirely. I have got some great deals on tires at Walmart but getting them mounted and balanced was a four hour wait and with one set it took three separate trips on three separate days because they were backed up. Very annoying!
Trick with Walmart and really any tire place is just to give them the keys and have the wife drive you around that day. They do a good job surprisingly (I think they do some sort of program with former convicts and those guys are very professional, motivated, and detailed from my experience). I remember getting multiple oil changes there back when I didn’t do it myself and it took like 2 hours a pop. They actually don’t have much in the way of bays and mounting equipment so these places always seem to get backed up.

Back