Where are Fram Oil and Air filters made ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd bet the same dimension filters are made on one rig at a time in batches. The boxes, part numbers, and paint jobs change.

Perhaps the highest end makers remain exclusive. It doesn't make sense to me that filter making machinery would be duplicated too, too much.

It does make sense that "manufacturers" deal with each other

I suppose I'm obligated to say I don't KNOW.

Originally Posted by Kira
I'd bet the same dimension filters are made on one rig at a time in batches.

I promise you, that's a very safe bet. It's even possible that they have one stamping machine that produces, say, a 6607 'shell' 5 days a week, every week of the year. Another machine that makes a different size and another machine that makes another size. Until you get into the less common part numbers, then you could get into batches.

I'll bet the volume of filters that they produce there would blow people away.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
My primary question is- where are Fram oil filters made ? And second is same question for air filters.

Fram Group is a part of New Zealand's Rank Group Limited.
Information about Rank Group can be found at www.rankgroup.co.nz.

"Our customer base includes leading aftermarket companies as well as a diverse group of original equipment manufacturers in the automotive, trucking and various industrial vehicle markets. We operate through a global network of manufacturing facilities, distribution centers and offices located throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe and China."

Found this article in the Dayton (largest nearby city) newspaper:

The Fram facility on Jackson Street in Greenville has the capability of producing 400 different models of oil filters. A $5.4 million, 20,000 square-foot expansion announced in 2015 was set to add a fourth line to boost production to more than 400,000 filters a day in total with a crew of 380 employees.

Fram has had operations in Greenville since 1951.

In 2011, the plant employed 180 workers and produced about 40 million filters a year when Rank Group Ltd. acquired Fram from Honeywell International.

Look on the box.
The United States (U.S.), marking statute, Section 304, Tariff Act of 1930, as amended (19 U.S.C. 1304) requires that, unless excepted, every article of foreign origin (or its container) imported into the U.S. shall be marked with its country of origin.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I'll bet the volume of filters that they produce there would blow people away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4plO1kunHk
Look at the speed of this line for one filter model x how many filter models and they make x everything in all their grades of filter = a ton.
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4plO1kunHk
Look at the speed of this line for one filter model x how many filter models and they make x everything in all their grades of filter = a ton.
crazy2.gif

Looks like Lucy has it under control at time 3:43. They better not speed up the production line though.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Good points everybody. But it seems that there is no clear answer without looking at the exact filter in question.

Somewhat true but being made (or assembled) in the USA does not have the same meaning as it did decades ago. The individual components can come from anywhere. Trying to figure that out may be fruitless.

I have a suspicion no oil filter is without something in it Made in China. Assembly line factory work is grueling. Many years ago i worked a summer for an auto parts supplier to one of the Big Three. My station was a manual tubing bender which the supervisor set up and adjusted. A person has to experience this to understand it. Every second is action and when you think you can't stand it any more you look at the clock and ten minutes has passed. The supervisor passes by to check your speed every so often. The person in the next station is waiting on your parts. You have to perform. Mine was a lady who had worked there for years. I forgot her machine but it was powered and I think she was missing at least one finger.

OT The next video after Fram, on Cat filters was interesting too. I saw twice where a human inspects the element by eye turning it in their hands. Have to pay for that extra inspecting. I thought the gluing process on the Cat filters was more sophisticated and accurate than the Fram process, amongst other details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back