Where are all the Trekkies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: moribundman
Offended, I suppose?
Mediocre film. But I compare every Star Trek movie to Star Trek II and am always disappointed.
The latest one seems to be made to appeal to 12 year old kids. The acting was about as real as the feel of an Airbus cockpit. Even Leonard Nimoy was a letdown.

Last edited:
Well, I've seen it. . . .
. . . and I am not impressed. Too much flash and bling, too many lens flares (on the bridge?!?), mostly action with little meaning or "heart." James Kirk is painted as the James Dean of 23rd-Century Iowa, and Star Fleet as the French Foreign Legion.

And no military organization with any sense installs a bunch of 25-year-old, recently-minted ensigns as the bridge crew of a multi-billion-credit starship! In our world, Annapolis grads don't get to command aircraft carriers or nuclear subs right out of school!

That said, the casting was mostly spot on.

It's a "Star Trek" for Generation Y: "It's okay to abandon your post without permission, as long as you have a really really good reason."

Quote:
. . and I am not impressed. Too much flash and bling, too many lens flares (on the bridge?!?), mostly action with little meaning or "heart." James Kirk is painted as the James Dean of 23rd-Century Iowa, and Star Fleet as the French Foreign Legion.

It has to sell. That's what sells. You run into this with stuff like the evolution of progressive rock. I noted a shift to para-disco beat pop music ( Owner of a lonely heart - YES, some stuff from Bowie ..and even Floyd ) ..some people would call it "influence" ..and if you talked to people who were tuned into music ..they'll come up with all kinds of nuances and exclusive tidbits on how those songs came into being.

I called it compromise for the right to be heard.

Originally Posted By: Aldaris
Offended, I suppose?
Mediocre film. But I compare every Star Trek movie to Star Trek II and am always disappointed.
The latest one seems to be made to appeal to 12 year old kids. The acting was about as real as the feel of an Airbus cockpit. Even Leonard Nimoy was a letdown.

Yes, "Wrath of Khan" is both a top-notch Trek and a top-notch film (dialogue, humor, and emotional core, plus a twisty plot and suspense).

I understand that the new film had to appeal to a wide audience in order to get made at all. It's just that, like far too many films today, it seems rather hollow.

On the bright side, it's always taken two attempts for the helmsmen of "Star Trek" to get it right. There were two pilots originally -- the first (in 1964) thought to be too cerebral, paving the way for Kirk & Co. Then Movie I (1979?) was worthy but dull, paving the way for the brilliance of "Khan" and satisfying qualities of "Search for Spock."

Maybe the sequel to this will be more solid!

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Yes, "Wrath of Khan" is both a top-notch Trek and a top-notch film (dialogue, humor, and emotional core, plus a twisty plot and suspense).

So the levels of camp and corn are by which you measure the quality of movies?
LOL.gif

Even ST-TWOK, which is one of the better ST outings, is now essentially unwatchable. The tedium begins with Shat's hairpiece, continues with the dreadful acting by a chesty, Corinthian leather-clad Montalban puking up Shakespearean monologs, is garnished by F/X that look so bad, and is topped off with a story that is bah-bah-boring. Spock's death was the only good thing in that movie, besides Checkov getting that ear slug shoved into his auditory meatus. I actually thought Nicholas Meyer did much better job with ST-TUC than he did with ST-TWOK.

I half expect someone here to confess watching ST-TFF regularly and voluntarily without a phaser being pointed at his nads!
crackmeup2.gif

ST-TFF? (google) was this animation?

My liked Trek movies

The motion picutre: spent way too much time on visuals that didn't do anything for you.

WOK

TSFS - only to the limits of how it ended up at the "I choose the danger" part...the back filler was tolerable... but like "pretty flowers - that smell bad"
TVH (fun)

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

It's a common acronym...

Star Trek -- The Final Frontier (1989)

Similar to: ST-TMP, ST-TWOK, ST-TSP, ST-TVH, ST-TFF, ST-TUC, SW-ANH, SW-TESB, S-ROTJ, LOTR-FOTR, LOTR-TTT, LOTR-ROTK etc et al.

Ah ..yes ..it's coming back to me ...

I couldn't help but notice your pain.

He looks so .......human
37.gif

It's a common acronym...

Similar to: ST-TMP, ST-TWOK, ST-TSP, ST-TVH, ST-TFF, ST-TUC, SW-ANH, SW-TESB, S-ROTJ, LOTR-FOTR, LOTR-TTT, LOTR-ROTK etc et al.

I thought you had that date wrong! That would have put it right on Undiscovered Country, which was, IMHO, the last good Trek movie.

Saw the movie in I-Max. Frakkin awesome video and effects. Overall 3 out of 4 star rating from me. As a loooong time Star Trek fan was a bit disappointed with the story line. Too much time was wasted on charater development and not enough of the little nuances that makes ST soo appealing to me. Great choices for the Spock, Bones, and Scotty characters. Does anyone know if a new TV series is coming from this new production team. I bet it would be real good. BTW the best sci-fi/drama the past few years was the recently concluded Battlestar Galactica IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back