Where are all the Trekkies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I'm no Trekkie and do not have the love for the original series as most seem to, but I do like the detail and depth of the series and feel this movie adds to it. While you need to understand a bit of the show's history, this movie is excellent for those not deeply into the genre. Trekkies will probably pick this film to pieces, but its not really for them.

Most of the franchise was pathetic. It was the only reasonable budget sci-fi on the planet for decades. I hated most of TNG. It would drown you in fairness and 'phasic effects ...but I watched every episode.

Most dramas, when they're "beat" start getting "consciousness raising" integrated into the story line. You've seen this in most of your L&O SVU ..where you watch the debate amongst the whole crew on the pro-con aspects of this and that ..and whatnot. Lou Grant ..same thing.

Roddenberry was a firm believer in a world without greed and poverty and the later Trek's (series) oozed this social agenda. So? The TNG movies mostly sucked.

The "Gates" are pathetic until you realize you're not watching a sci-fi. I couldn't sit through one for the first 4 seasons.

Even numbered original cast movies did well. The most enjoyable for me was the The Voyage Home. Nuclear Wessels

I have never had a desire to dress up and go to a convention ..nor learn Klingon.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I'd rather be subjected to poison gas then have to sit through ANY Star Trek movie.

I am so with you on that comment! I work with a girl who met her husband at a star trek convention. Their wedding was a star trek theme. I am so glad I didn't know her at that point in life. If I had to sit thru that wedding I would have no hair left by the time the wedding was done. Lets put it this way, the pictures she brought in were painful but I somehow got thru them, three big albums, felt like gouging my eyes out. Sorry all you trekkies.

Oh, I'm here, but I'm carefully not reading *any* posts about the film. Of course I'll see it, but I hate crowds, and opening- weekend crowds even more.

Everything I've glimpsed, however, says that J.J. Abrams really hit it out of the park. On my "Man from U.N.C.L.E." Yahoo! Group, many are now saying that an MFU movie could be done, and done right, if Abrams helmed it.

We saw it last night at the latest showing with free passes.
cool.gif

Was ok; better than "Generations" or "Insurrection". Both of those we have on vhs and haven't touched them in at least three years.
whistle.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I'd rather be subjected to poison gas then have to sit through ANY Star Trek movie.
Watching Star Trek should be an "enhance interrogation technique".
grin2.gif

I used to like you
33.gif

I still am

While I watch Trek's ..I prefer higher quality scifi.

DaHammit Cohagen!! Just giv de(r) people de(r) air!!

Overall I liked it. Didn't like them changing the time line so much but they needed a way to keep ST going (like sequels) without stepping on past...past.

Special effects were very good. Spock was lucky because Uhura is HOT!

Kirk got some green action!

3 stars. If you're a popcorn-munching zombie that wants to watch bash-em-crash-em, this is your movie. Unfortunately, I can't turn my brain off at the door, and there are too many niggling details that bugged me, as happens for most time travel movies. Not quite your typical Trek film... whether this is good or bad depends on your viewpoint.

The time travel in this movie is used in the same way a dream was used on the old Dallas show years back...

Both have major continuity problems.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Overall I liked it. Didn't like them changing the time line so much but they needed a way to keep ST going (like sequels) without stepping on past...past.

It's a reboot. There is no need to be true to the original movies' timleline, which by the way was tampered with countless times. The movie wasn't made for trekkies who niggle about time travel paradoxes, which in itself is a futile endeavor. J.J. Abrams expressly said he did not make the movie not for the hardcore trekkies.

The new movie stands on its own legs, and that's what counts. Whether or not it fits perfectly into the now stale, old TV series, its tired spin-offs, and the those previous movies, is besides the point. The new movie is hardly offensive to the Star Trek canon, though. People should be glad that there was no mention of such corny stuff as the Prime Directive, EPS conduits that needed rerouting, and other hokey Star Trek geek talk that will give a Trekkie a tingling sensation in his skivvies.

The movie has a decent enough story (The plot has to fit on one paper napkin), it never gets boring, the characters are fun and everyone gets something to do. Bruce Greenwood was excellent as Captain Pike, by the way. At 2 hours and six minutes that's a pretty tight movie that shouldn't disappoint anyone, unless he's a hardcore trekker or someone who just doesn't care for the genre in general.[/quote]

Quote:
Spock was lucky because Uhura is HOT!

Imagine old Spock and old Uhura gettin it on.

Mori, I pretty much agree with you but the time line shift seemed to be used for commercial reasons rather than to drive the story. They could have made an equally good movie without the shift.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Mori, I pretty much agree with you but the time line shift seemed to be used for commercial reasons rather than to drive the story. They could have made an equally good movie without the shift.

It's not all that much of a story driven story, it's rather character driven.

"Commercial reasons?" Don't make me laugh. It is a commercial movie, not some art house masterpiece. The involved time travel component is simply a plot device, a MacGuffin really, nothing more or less.

Besides, young Spock will be able to reverse the alternate timeline in the future. He just has to get the red matter faster to the destination point.
wink.gif

Mwahahaha!

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
While I watch Trek's ..I prefer higher quality scifi.

DaHammit Cohagen!! Just giv de(r) people de(r) air!!

LOL.gif
Two weeks! Two weeks...Two weeks....Twooooooargghhhhhh!

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
total_recall_large_03.jpg

My son is watching Total Recall right now and it was just on this exact scene a half hour ago!
grin2.gif

I've been watching the Star Trek franchise for approximately 35 yrs. I can't imagine a world without some sort of Trek going on. It would be a sad state of affairs if the promise of man's exploration of space was not kept alive in some sort of friendly and humorous way.

The absolute ST purists may not like the new version, but I sure did. At the end of the movie I didn't think it was long enough. Sure there are some differences, but the characters I've come to enjoy so much seemed real enough. I'd have them over for 'Q & beer. You can hide a lot of plot twists in time/space anomolies, and you can pull a lot of chestnuts of the fire with them, too. Whenever I lose something, I just walk around looking for it until the anomoly has passed...then I find it right away. But, in this movie, it allows the francise to go on in an exciting way without forcing us to always do things the "official" way (as approved by the Keepers of the Scripts). That could get dangerous to a degree, but allows new and exciting adventures.

I give it 2 thumbs up and can't wait for the DVD and the sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back