Where a young adult American with no "training" might want to work for job security

Both are hard high skilled and high pressure jobs, who wants to work hard? Kids with zero drive don't want to work hard.
Not sure I would recommend anyone to be a auto mechanic. And I love working on cars.

They are paid by the job, not the hour. Which would be ok, but getting the same book hours for a job in San Diego compared to the same job in Albany, NY.... how can that be?? Every part on that Albany car likely has major rust/ corrosion issues. Definitely takes more time, expertise, and tools to do the same repair in Albany, NY than it does in San Diego.

Our bodies get beat up as one gets older. Not sure many auto mechanics make enough to retire at 38 years old. That's likely about the time many mechanics bodies start to break down. How about health care, disability insurance, etc. A public electric utility sure sounds like a better choice in the long run over a auto mechanic. How about vacation, that public electric utility likely two weeks first year, after 20 years likely four-six weeks paid per year. The auto mechanic being paid by the job.... may not get paid during a holiday....or vacation.

The employers of many auto mechanics are simply not good people/ organizations.

I am retiring in exactly three years and one day from my current job. Considering opening up a auto repair shop (one man) was something I considered. Came to the conclusion fast that my body was not a match at my retirement age.

Finally, this forum has some of the most honest and competent auto mechanics/ shop owners in the United States. Some of them I wouldn't think twice of transporting my car 1,000 miles for them to perform a major service. Yet I am not confident bringing my car to a OEM dealer or local shop...... Auto repair is simply a very tough business at all positions in my humble opinion. Yes some have made it and done well for their customers and themselves. But those men are few.

And I would rather work hard doing something like installing drain tile in wet clay based soil by hand then going to Hawaii all expenses paid for two weeks. I like hard work...... Something very satisfying about it.

I’ve worked with utility guys and they seem like decent and good working people. Pretty much every guy in town has an apprentice at the moment too, which is nice. I’m sure they can get cranky restoring a service in nasty weather, but I don’t blame them.

It’s the “customer service” and bloat behind large companies that makes it annoying... much like a hospital. There’s a huge need for healthcare workers as well. The shenanigans isn’t the hands on folk’s fault.

And I would rather work hard doing something like installing drain tile in wet clay based soil by hand then going to Hawaii all expenses paid for two weeks. I like hard work...... Something very satisfying about it.
So you’d rather lay a drainage tile then go to Hawaii? Can’t say I blame you there. I’d need a vacation after all that work too. 😁

I'd almost bet next week's paycheck that there is a local jail hiring (And prisons, but that's a whole other ball of wax). Depending on the state, there's plenty of opportunities to work upwards. For example, here in GA, the local Sheriff is in charge of the jail, and that generally means that there are opportunities in the courthouse, patrol, and civil divisions for you to move on to. Most places will eventually send you to the police academy and from there, you can go where you want to most of the time.....if....

If you stay out of trouble,
If you work hard, show up on time, do what you're supposed to
If you can make good decisions and treat people fairly

It's not glamourous, and it's not easy, you won't get rich, but you can make a decent living, pay is mostly headed upwards as counties are realizing they have to pay for good employees. When I started in 2013, pay was $12.80/hr, now it is over $18 if I'm not mistaken. Not record-breaking pay by any means, but it is a fairly secure career (At least here in GA, you're not going to be privatized, the worst that can happen is the Sheriff shuts the jail down, which isn't very likely unless you are in a super tiny county population-wise).

It's also not easy being one of the currently most hated professions in the US right now, luckily, most of that hate stays on the news as opposed to the local communities, but it still wears on you. Thankfully there have been some advances as far as helping officers out with the mental aspects of the game. PTSD is very real and almost everyone experiences it in some way. We do our best to spot burnout early and get people help before it becomes a problem.

It is much harder on the kids we hire though (18-25 years old-ish). They don't have experience dealing with people and we expect them to interact with inmates twice their age. We've had them come straight out of high school and sadly, most of them don't stick around for long, but those that have had a few jobs, especially retail or service tend to last longer because they have some skills in dealing with people, this is a huge help.

Do I recommend it to everyone? No, not even a little bit, but it is a decent choice if you're looking for a long-term career, are honest, and is willing to work hard at it.

Not sure I would recommend anyone to be a auto mechanic. And I love working on cars.

They are paid by the job, not the hour. Which would be ok, but getting the same book hours for a job in San Diego compared to the same job in Albany, NY.... how can that be?? Every part on that Albany car likely has major rust/ corrosion issues. Definitely takes more time, expertise, and tools to do the same repair in Albany, NY than it does in San Diego.

Our bodies get beat up as one gets older. Not sure many auto mechanics make enough to retire at 38 years old. That's likely about the time many mechanics bodies start to break down. How about health care, disability insurance, etc. A public electric utility sure sounds like a better choice in the long run over a auto mechanic. How about vacation, that public electric utility likely two weeks first year, after 20 years likely four-six weeks paid per year. The auto mechanic being paid by the job.... may not get paid during a holiday....or vacation.

The employers of many auto mechanics are simply not good people/ organizations.

I am retiring in exactly three years and one day from my current job. Considering opening up a auto repair shop (one man) was something I considered. Came to the conclusion fast that my body was not a match at my retirement age.

Finally, this forum has some of the most honest and competent auto mechanics/ shop owners in the United States. Some of them I wouldn't think twice of transporting my car 1,000 miles for them to perform a major service. Yet I am not confident bringing my car to a OEM dealer or local shop...... Auto repair is simply a very tough business at all positions in my humble opinion. Yes some have made it and done well for their customers and themselves. But those men are few.

As a 50+ year old, flat rate tech working in the rust belt.

I do OK. ;)

And we are employees still, of course we get paid vacations and benefits.

Reactions: GON
If I had to do all over again I'd still become a Municipal Fire Fighter. 25 years and not once did I wake up dreading to go to work. Able to retire at 52 with a great pension and decent insurance.
The future need for grid upgrades are certainly undeniable.

As a 50+ year old, flat rate tech working in the rust belt.

I do OK. ;)

And we are employees still, of course we get paid vacations and benefits.
MMT,

That is great to learn and here. Noticed you are from the Great White North. Wonder if the majority of your counterparts in the USA get the same vacation and benefits you do in Canada?

If I had to do all over again I'd still become a Municipal Fire Fighter. 25 years and not once did I wake up dreading to go to work. Able to retire at 52 with a great pension and decent insurance.
The future need for grid upgrades are certainly undeniable.

Bonus to that is, everyone loves you....well, almost everyone :LOL:

MMT,

That is great to learn and here. Noticed you are from the Great White North. Wonder if the majority of your counterparts in the USA get the same vacation and benefits you do in Canada?
Have been offered more if I moved to Cali. I prefer to stay here though.

Last edited:
Bonus to that is, everyone loves you....well, almost everyone :LOL:
I put in applications for both fire and police departments. In fact I knew more police offers than fireman growing up. The fire department called for testing first so I started with the fire department. After a couple months into my fire career the police department called so I had a decision to make. Hands down I knew that I was in the right place, for me, on the fire department.
Number one and most importantly I had a pretty good temper when I was younger and I figured I'd get fired as a cop when I smacked the crap out of someone smarting off 😆.
Number two I felt the fire service was more of a team environment which I like. I felt that setting on a couch with the guys in a fire station in our down time watching TV was better than setting alone in a cruiser somewhere else.
Number three was that when we arrived on scene EVERYONE wanted us there vs when a police officer shows up most times no one wants them there unfortunately.
And the schedule differences were vast. Our fire department worked a modified Cleveland schedule which was a 9 day cycle where we worked 24 hours, 3 out of 5 days and then had 4 straight days off. Think of working M-W-F then 4 days off then coming back to work W-F-Sun then 4 days off.
One drawback was not having a call for hours and less than 3 minutes later you are giving every single thing you have to control a fire and 3 hours later nothing for the rest of the 24 hours shift. ( or 3 big fires in one night) The rapid intense adrenal shots over time can wreck your nerves. Our "tones" that dropped very loudly to announce a call had a certain pitch to them that I often hear in music on commercials or songs and I still jerk when I hear it.
Best kept secret job I've ever seen. Pic of me shortly before retirement. Taking a break after going through a 9th story window to put out a high-rise fire, rescued a pit bull, he was a mean dog but didn't argue with me when knocked for a loop by the heat and smoke.🤣 oh the stories I have haha.
Screenshot_20210121-200208_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
Junior Colleges are a place that I have spent lots of time at when gainfully employed to keep up with the auto technology , probably 20 years of 1 night per week class per semester. It actually was fun and what was interesting is learning problem areas on the cars that the other dealer techs work on. Yes it takes more effort that drinking beer , smoking joints and watching the Tv but education allows people to earn more money than working an Mcdonalds as an order taker in your prime earning years. There were classes full of people learning more to improve themselves. I used to take other classes to remain a continuing student when I didn't find an auto class I needed. I took biology classes , an intro to paramedic program class and was invited by the instructor to the program . I took an introductory Helicopter maintenance class ,,aced it and it was fun, fun, fun, Real estate classes and several math classes. My son said Dad you probably have a PhD in J.C. with a smile.
I started DeAnza Community College in Cupertino, CA at the age of 29 when I was nearing the end of a long drinking career.
My life was at a crossroads; change or prison and death.
I took every computer science and business class they had. I worked grave for 6 years (hated it) and went to school after work.

I am taking my grand-nieces to the local colleges here in Silicon Valley. Stanford, Santa Clara, San Jose State as well as the JC's West Valley, Foothill and De Anza. Upon returning to De Anza, I was reduced to tears as it changed my life.

By the way, the 2 year Auto Mechanics, Electrician, Nursing and other technical programs are highly popular and are always impacted. Very well recognized.

I am one of the people who believe JC should be free to students who choose to do the requisite work. We need qualified people in the workplace. It is a worthwhile investment in America's future. Tax payers not dead beats...

Tax payers could have paid $60K or much more per year to incarcerate drunks like me or have me pay huge taxes to society. Pick one...

One of my high school friends worked for the Parks & Rec Dept in the city I grew up in during summer break. He was hired on with the city full-time the week he graduated high school at 18 years old. He gets to retire at 48 years old with a fat pension and retirement medical benefits.
Define fat pension. Most of the time public sector pensions pay less than what you were making when you were still working.

I knew some electric utility workers about ten years ago. They worked in maintenance at the power plant. They lamented that the plants were becoming more automated and reliable that their numbers dwindled significantly over the years. But the guy who started out as a floor sweeper retired with a nice pension and owned a nice home and boat.

Many of my fellow production techs today were power plant workers at some point in their life. Power plants that burned coal, waste products or natural gas. Pretty much all of the coal fired are now gone in my area of the people's republic of NY.

Ex power plant or grid workers are a good fit in my line of work with their experience and the fact we pull 40+ megawatts most of the time.

Define fat pension. Most of the time public sector pensions pay less than what you were making when you were still working.
Fat pension: a loan the government made back then so they can hide their real cost, to provide more service or charge less tax back then, and off load the cost to the future generation.

It is a loan, the money spent, the payment will be due. That's all, nothing more nothing less.

At 34 I applied to become an apprentice electricial with the IBEW. I had to pass an aptitude test at the department of labor before they would accept me. Afterwards, the woman giving the test told me that she could get me started at the Ford plant the next day. It was tempting-$20 an hour versus $6. But I knew some people who had worked the at local GM plant until it closed and couldn't find comparable jobs locally. I knew that as an electrician if my employer shut down their shop I could take my talents to another local employer and that my job wouldn't be going overseas because the work must be done on site. I learned that your work ethic made the difference between a job and a pink slip when work slowed down and that the more knowledge that you have in the trade the more valuable you are. That helped me negotiate the lean times when construction became scarce. The need for electricians is great because in high school students are steered towards college, not the trades. But the apprenticeship has no student loans, on the job training and a paycheck while you learn. It isn't for everyone, but has provided me with a very comfortable life.

Brons,

You are correct. These Park District employee and town administrator did in fact make less in their pensions than they did in the salary in their FINAL year of work before retirement ...

Two examples to support your post:

** Former Bellwood IL administrator Roy Campbell received dramatic, late-career pay hikes that increased his pension to $252,689 a year . •

** Retired Park District of Highland Park IL executive director Ralph Volpe received $270,999 in bonuses in 2008, increasing his pension to $166,332 a year.

And here is an example of what these park and recreation employees in this Illinois town get for their pension:

Highland-Park.jpg

Last edited:
Back