When your job really changes (a new one, that is..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still a little in shock...

Got multiple job offers last week-and happily-none in retail!
cool.gif

For a guy for the most part who has done customer service type jobs (sales and such), my new job is kinda out there- supply chain logistics! (Inventory stuff) It is for an automotive supplier, and they get to train me from the ground up! Happy because it pays better, and will pay more as I move up from here...

I think what helped me (and will help too) is my knowledge of the automotive industry. Guy was quite impressed when I could name all their parts on their table...

Can't tell you how excited I am about the change...I enjoy car stuff....so I should fit right in!

Just wondering if anyone else here works for an automotive supplier and if they like it....
smile.gif

Congrats on the new job. Sounds like you love the automotive industry or parts of it, so being passionate about that should make you more successful than others who don't share the same passion.

Congrats on moving on!

Was just reading that Walmart was having trouble finding qualified personnel so they have their own training program now that includes finding counterfeit money etc. Companies are again realizing they have to invest in their manpower and "train the right person."

Sounds like a great job. One you will enjoy and learn skills that will serve you well for future career endeavors, there or somewhere else, as few of us get to stay with one employer forever.

Congrats to the OPer on the new job! Make the best of it!

It seems like every retail business around here has a help wanted sign up in the window...makes me think back to the late '90s when the economy was really chugging along and service in every restaurant or store I would frequent was terrible because they couldn't hire enough people and many of those who were working in such places were not really qualified. Guess a good economy is worth some bad service...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Still a little in shock...

Got multiple job offers last week

Congratulations. Goes to show that there are plenty of opportunities for good workers. I was a hiring manager during my career and it always amazed me how many employees complain about their comp but aren't willing to do anything about it, such as, improve their performance or step out into the open market and find out for themselves what they're worth. You've shown the guts to do the latter and obviously, others have discovered your worth. I have no doubt you will enjoy and ultimately conquer the learning curve of your new position. Keep up the good work and enjoy the higher standard of living you've earned for your family.

One more comment about career change. I held many positions during my 25 year corporate career and found that each change benefitted me in terms of expanding my general business knowledge and expertise with different departments and disciplines within the company I worked for. This diversity of expertise was valued and resulted in further promotions. I found that I enjoyed the learning curve phase of each new job the most. After a couple of years, you should reach a stage of what I call "comfortable competence" where you are executing repeat functions you are familiar with. This is when I got bored and started looking for new challenges. Again, good luck and best wishes for your continued success.

Last edited:
Sounds like a nice move for you and you should enjoy the job.
I can't imagine working retail and your new field should offer better advancement opportunities as well as a new and valuable skill set.
Good luck to you in your new endeavor.

Thanks everyone!
smile.gif

I'm a bit nervous, of course-but I think it will pass once it get into the groove those first few days.....

Trust me-retail was no picnic, but it's important to make the best out of what you have.

While I am excited for the new job, I am also happy that it will let me finally go back for my masters degree as well...dare I say I kinda miss school!
wink.gif

It's nice that subject matter interests you. However the most important thing is out of retail and into a stepping stone of a job that cannot really be exported abroad and irrelevant to country of manufacture. Learn everything and good luck.

Retail is dead as career and nothing more then a first job or place for folks to hang onto and don't want to succeed. So much opportunity out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back