When you work at a body shop, and are too lazy to look at the other side of the vehicle.

It is amazing that there are people out there who apparently work at a body shop for a living, who are simply too stupid/lazy to look at the other side... for an honest clue.

And an owner... who didn't notice (or care enough) to make the body shop do it over.

Incorrect:
1616957207013.jpg

Correct:

1616957250097.jpg

In college, one of my best friends had grown up around his dad's body shop/salvage car lot.

He was usually more accurate than a Carfax at spotting collision damage.

This one made me think of one he pointed out to me one day. We were behind a 97-02 Camry-one of the ones that never dies-and he says "Yeah, that one's been in an accident." I asked him how he could tell, and he said "They got the Toyota and Camry badges backwards. Camry should be on the other side of the trunk from where it is."

That would be an interesting test. Put a brand new truck on the lot like that and see how many people notice it. I'm afraid it might be a single digit %.

Somewhere back in my brain I remember reading about a new car launch where some cars, I think they were Jeep Wranglers, got shipped with different fender flares on each side. I'll have to see if I can dig that up.

Edit: There it is, not exactly as I recall, but how many people looked this thing over and thought 'looks good to me', including the new owner? https://jalopnik.com/how-did-this-jeep-leave-the-factory-with-the-wrong-part-5836640

Why my brain remembers dumb crap like this and I can't remember important stuff I'll never know.

Not a big deal. Just more OCD on here. As someone who worked with "Color Pigment" for 25 years-personally I would be more concerned about the paint matching. This is impossible to tell on a computer screen.

I once worked for a guy who had at one time owned a body shop. He told me that they frequently repaired one side differently when it made the job easier since a customer can only see one side of a car at a time. He also said the only part of a car that you need to take the time to paint perfectly is around the key slot since tnat is the only part of a car the owner looks at regularly (this was long before keyless door entry). He had the same sttitude toward his new business, drywall finishing, and I didn't work for him very long.

I suspect the paint on each side is different, but since its two different angles and two different light scenarios, its hard to tell for certain.

You know, back in the day when we were importing grey market cars from Germany... We had several show or catalog cars... (The boss had an affinity for Alpina/Hartge/Zender stuff).

It wasn't uncommon for them to have differences side to side, we surmised to make it look like different cars from different angles...

One had white Hartge wheels on one side and either silver Hartge or Alpina on the other... One had Alpinas but they were all silver on one side and had black centers on the other... I seem to remember one of them had different stripes or side skirts side to side, perhaps both... Seems like one had Black Epsilons in one side and regular on the other...

And it seems like nearly every Mercedes was that pea green, which is an ok color, but man 9 out of 10 it seemed like.

I'm with the testosterone police, sir. Complaining about cosmetics on a work truck is against the law. Please forfeit your Man Card.

It's a truck for crying out loud, not a Gucci purse. :eek:

Back