When yall buy a used vehicle from dealer

I went back and looked at what I did with my used Mazda3 I got in September 2017. I got it with 67466 miles. I waited until I got to 70014 and changed the oil as it was on a nice round 5k interval. That was about 6 weeks after I got the car.

I went with 5k intervals until I got to about 90k miles and moved on to 7500 or 6 months, which ever comes first.

This year might be the first time I get to my time before my mileage on a car...

when i bought my '13 Cmax( Feb/Mar 2019, 64k mi) the (Ford)dealer did an oil change and replaced the brakes as part of the pre-delivery rigamarol....
manual calls for 1 yr/10k mi.
I had it changed in late August @ 70k mi, to "get it back on schedule" as it were... ( went to a AAA owned shop around the corner from my buddy's house, they only use Havoline Synth, and Napa Filters for ~$40($35+tax) for AAA members. )

a couple weeks ago,after 8 mos and 4200 mi , the OLM popped up..(on this car there's no where to view the current state, or percentage, it just pops up saying "oil change required". the manual says to get an OC within 100 mi ... I just reset it)

I HAVE the 6 qts of Merc LV to change the trans fluid, but That shop said that they wouldn't touch my trans b/c it's a Hybrid/CVT....(have the pages from the service manual printed out, it's a simple drain and fill through a plug accessed through a wheel arch, both the drain and fill are done with a Mityvac.)

If I know that they changed it (and what it was changed with), I will wait a bit.

On my Santa Fe, it had 10,300 miles on it.
Dealer used Acura 5w-30 oil and a Mahle filter, so I left it in for ~2,200 miles.
I did another 2,500 mile with some Delo 10w-30 to get me to 15,000 miles (since I plan on a 5,000 mile OCI).

On my mom's Soul, it had ~23,000 mile on it.
Dealer used Mobil Super 5w-20 and an OEM filter, left that on for 2000 miles (got it to 25,000 miles for the same 5,000 mile OCI).

I know the Santa Fe was changed since when we did our first test drive, they had it on the lot for 1 day.
I checked the oil and it was a little low and dark (not nasty, just dark, and just below the full line).
The sales guy said the vehicle had not been prepped so before we picked it up they prepped it, which included an oil change.
Oil was nice and clear and at the full mark when we picked it up.

The Soul was a certified used from a Kia dealer, and that is part of the prep.
The filter was new (or else somebody washed the filter because it looked new) and the oil was clear and at the proper level.

For other fluids, depends on mileage and age.
Both of these were not that old with not a lot of miles, so the rest of the fluids stayed.
They will get transmission drain and fills @ 30,000 miles, as well as brake fluid changes.
Coolant will stay till the 3 year mark.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I change all fluids the very second I bring them home.

Not a thing wrong with that either.

Hard to imagine a Ford dealer putting in any oil that would harm the Tundra for one OCI but this is BITOG. On the other hand some quarts of oil is small change for peace of mind. Shame to waste hardly used oil, maybe pass it down to a beater in the family if you change it out?

Or lawnmower.

Tundra engine is solid, MC synblend isn't terrible, your region has no need for 0w-20 over 5w. 4k miles is my vote.

I bought a 2003 mercedes e320 from a ford dealer 5 years ago and I'm sure they didn't use any eurospec or weight for that car. It should use some euro 0 or 5w40. I ran it 3k and changed it. Oil was black, filter looked like a filter. Was surprised how dark it was and wondered if they changed it. Plus that car didn't have a dip stick. Now your Tundra would be fine with the motorcraft 5w20 but most cars will. Mercedes might be picky and I'm sure they didn't use or even changed it the oil.

I'd be more concerned with the filter they used than what oil brand they used even if it was bulk.

When I bought my Lucerne they used Mobil 5000 bulk with a ACDelco filter which I ran for 6 months then switched to synthetic.

Probably extreme, but as soon as I buy a vehicle, I'm looking at changing oils (engine/trans/diff), plugs, filters (air/oil/cabin), and whatever other maintenance items might exist. I don't trust anyone to have done it or done it right, and it's also an opportunity to learn the car a bit.

I have typically just changed it myself shortly after purchase to ensure the correct oil is being used...cheap/easy.

Originally Posted by robertcope
Probably extreme, but as soon as I buy a vehicle, I'm looking at changing oils (engine/trans/diff), plugs, filters (air/oil/cabin), and whatever other maintenance items might exist. I don't trust anyone to have done it or done it right, and it's also an opportunity to learn the car a bit.

This is me too. I have trust issues with dealerships, so I'd feel better knowing what oil (and when) was really in there.

If the oil doesn't look freshly changed I'd
do it right away.
If it looks like it was just done I'd do it within
a month or two at a convenient time since
you really don't know what they used.

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
how many miles do you go before you switch to "your brand"?

The Ford dealership put Motorcraft syn blend 5w20 in my Tundra b4 selling it to me. Tundra, of course, calls for 0w but its approaching summer in the south.

I'll be switching to ST 0w20 for my 1st OCI.

So would you go 5k?

My 18 Mazda6 calls for 0w20 also. I've used motorcraft 0w20 since 7K and I'm at 25K now. They just upgraded their 0w20 to a full synthetic. I've run 5K oil changes up till now with motorcraft oil in my Mazda with no problems.

Originally Posted by Starman2112
I'd change it immediately to what it calls for. But that's just me.

Same with me. It's been a while since i bought a used car but the last few times i did, i did my own oil change (with my preferred brand) no more than 2-3 weeks from taking it home. Most of the times before i pick up the car, the dealer has it detailed and complimentary "oil change" but i never believe that, i always do my own anyway.

Last edited:
If it's just been done at a reputable dealer I wouldn't have it dumped right away. I bought two used vehicles since Christmas and they'd just had the oil changed with AC-Delco bulk oil and AC Delco filters.

So what I did with both of them was immediately did the diffs, trannies, and transfer cases, greased ball joints and tie rod ends, get a the giant bottle of Techron, those are all the things that people neglect so I took care of them first.

And then I ran the oil that came in it until I got to close to a nice even number, put an ounce per quart of Neutra in the oil, run another 500 miles, then change it out to my preferred oil.

I bought a 2016 Lexus RX350 from a Toyota dealer in October. They had changed the oil and brake pads in September. Toyota dealership bulk oil is M1 and filters are OEM Toyota for both brands. I want 6500 miles before the next OC.

When I buy any used car I change the oil as soon as I get it home, you never know what oil they put in there, if they even changed it at all.

I would run it for 5k miles and change it to whatever you like.
When I bought my F250 it came with a complementary 1st first oil change. I usually do my own oil changes but13qts and Motorcraft filter hard to pass up for free.
First they didn't want to do it since the oil life monitor still showed life on it.
Then service writer almost backed my truck into another vehicle when he first took it.
They finish the job and I notice that the invoice claimed they used 12 qts of 5w20 for a diesel. I called and the service writer assured me they used 5w40.
Later I noticed the windshield reminder sticker said 15w40.

As long as it is the correct spec oil for the vehicle, I would run it the full interval. I consider Motorcraft a brand name oil so it's pretty good. 0w20 and 5w20 are the same in my mind, until it gets below -30F.

I bought a '10 Toyota Yaris about 2.5 years ago for my oldest daughter. Had close to 130k on it. It came from a Toyota dealership. Car is spec'd for 5/30. I'd bet $100 they threw in whatever 0/20 bulk they had....which is fine.

But the very day I brought it home I changed the oil to M1 HM 5/30 and an Fram Ultra.

Back