When will Pennzoil Ultra have better availability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had to change my oil and had some of the old Pennzoil Ultra left over, when trying to find any of the new Ultra I noticed that only one store (Pep Boys) in my city had any in stock while the Platinum is available almost everywhere.

Any idea if/when the new Ultra will go main stream, and be available at all auto parts stores and the mass merchants?

It doesn't seem to be selling here, or they are excellent at restocking it. I don't see that being the case tho.

I can never find Synthetic Maxlife in stock here. Yet every time I look I never see a single jug missing on the Pennzoil Ultra.

Just an aside question. Did pp drop the Boron additive when PU came on the market? Older PP had Boron and it sems a couple of recent samples showed no boron?

Perhaps this has been discussed before? I was going to say why bother with the PU but then I noticed the Boron factor. Might be best just to use PYB. Hopefully this isn't me:
18.gif

No problem getting PU at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=penzoil+ultra+platinum&sprefix=penzoil+%2Caps%2C268

I was under the impression that old Ultra was better?

Don't expect it to become any more widespread. It's just too expensive for the average John Doe.

None of the Wally's near me carried the old PU or it was very hit-or-miss. I don't expect them to carry the new flavour, but I haven't been looking, as PP is plenty good enough for me.

I refuse to buy oil from Advance/VatoZone/etc. as it's WAY overpriced, even on special.

I can get Ultra any day of the week here in Michigan at WalMart or AutoZone. But WM had 5qt jugs on rollback for $25, plus Fuel Rewards, so I stocked up on old Ultra. I'm set for about 2 years now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I can get Ultra any day of the week here in Michigan at WalMart or AutoZone.

Is your Walmart stocking both the Ultra and the Platinum? Just curious because from Walmart's standpoint, they probably wonder why they should stock two different Pennzoil synthetics.

Originally Posted By: erick_e
When will Pennzoil Ultra have better availability?

Never.

Just my guess...

The retail availability of this oil is super frustrating.

Not one of our six Walmart's stock the Ultra. Only one Pep Boys (30 minutes away). Not one AutoZone, Advance Auto, Carquest, or Oreilly's stocks the Ultra, only the Platinum.

Both Walmart stores near where I live stock PUPw/PPT as well as PPw/PPT. Individual quarts as well as 5 quart jugs.

Has anybody who doesn't have a nearby Walmart stocking these items tried ordering on Walmart.com with free ship-to-store to a store local to them?

Last edited:
Pennzoil Ultra is available at my local Walmart.

The old Ultra blew off the shelves without the sale prices seen elsewhere and the new stuff restocked just a few weeks later.

Pennzoil doesn't seem to mind..No advertising...
The average person doesn't know or doesn't care to know. I guess we are the 1% so to speak......I love bitog..

When Ultra was disappearing from the shelves, I called Pennzoil and was ASSured that Ultra was not going away. From my perspective it did and they changed the formula....I drive 20 miles to get Ultra from hellmart... so I stock up

Good hunting!!!!!!!!!

I have two jugs of the old SM left as well as three of the old Ultra SN which I bought on clearance from Walmart.
All of this was FAR after coupons and other deals, of course.
I've not really checked the availabilty of the new Ultra, but I'm sure it's out there if you want or need it.
Part of the marketing effort for Ultra may involve keeping it elusive and scarce, so that those who really consider it he bee's knees load up whenever they find it at any price.
We've seen many posts and even entire threads that validate my point.

Depending on the grade of Ultra Platinum you are looking for will depend on where you can find it. I have found Pennzoil Ultra Platinum at Pep Boys, Amazon and eBay. I was looking for the 5W30 and found it cheapest on eBay. $7.50 per quart delivered.

Walmart doesn't have it and most major auto parts stores don't stock it or carry it.

Good luck! Because of the [censored] availability of the Ultra Platinum, I have stuck with using Mobil 1 and so far my engine has been running smooth!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I can get Ultra any day of the week here in Michigan at WalMart or AutoZone.

Is your Walmart stocking both the Ultra and the Platinum? Just curious because from Walmart's standpoint, they probably wonder why they should stock two different Pennzoil synthetics.

Yes, both Ultra and Platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back