When to use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, my CRV has just over 7k and was wondering if it would be a good time to use the gumout regane. I always use either shell or bp since they're top tier. Should I use it now, or wait?

you don't need to use fuel additives that frequent~!

I personally use FIC once a year on all vehicles I serviced/maintained. I stocked up on Chevron Techron and sometimes I use Regain (when I have them onhand).

Q.

I run a dose of techron concentrate once a year/every other oil change.
I normally take a 2200 mi roundtrip from here to my brother's house in DFW in October. I put 2 bottles in (20gal tank, each treats up to 12gal)before i leave, then do my fall oil change when i get back.

You don't need to put any additives in such a new vehicle (especially during the warranty period). You already use Top Tier gas and that's enough.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Hello all, my CRV has just over 7k and was wondering if it would be a good time to use the gumout regane. I always use either shell or bp since they're top tier. Should I use it now, or wait?

Its just a waste of money

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

+1

Originally Posted By: Tboss
Originally Posted By: Bluestream

+1

+2

If you are using a top tier fuel, you should never need to use a fuel system cleaner. Visit Chevron's website and look up their Q&A section. They tell you right there that if you are using Chevron fuel, there is no reason to use a Techron fuel additive.

I can hear it now. Many here will say that Chevron is lying. But, why would they tell us that we don't need to buy their product, if it is not true? Don't you think they would like to increase sales?

Every 25K miles with a bottle of Redline SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner.

You already use Top Tier gas and that's enough.

IMO, it's a very good preventative measure. Since polyetheramines creates a good fine coating of hard plasticised material that prevents carbon sticking in engine parts, specially at back of the tulips of intake valves and seats, the coolest parts in the combustion chamber. I would use in a very new car to keep them clean from start, since it's easier than removing hard coked carbon deposits built in the bare metal pores.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother. Its a new vehicle, and you use good fuel. Whats the point in claiming to only use top tier fuel if you feel the need to clean it up every few thousand miles? Using a fuel additive only makes the user feel better.

Last edited:
Gumout all in one is my pick, it has the highest treat rate which means more PEA plus a friction modifier. My car gets awful gas mileage but this product usually gives me a measurable increase for awhile after I use it. Can't hurt to use it every 10k miles or one year even if you use top tier.

I think that even if you use top tier gas it's still a good idea to run a good fuel system treatment with PEA in it at least once a year. It can't hurt and Gumout Regane is only about $4 or $5 so why not? I'd rather over clean a fuel system than under clean.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I think that even if you use top tier gas it's still a good idea to run a good fuel system treatment with PEA in it at least once a year. It can't hurt and Gumout Regane is only about $4 or $5 so why not? I'd rather over clean a fuel system than under clean.

Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back