When to take snow tires off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All:

When are you all taking your snows off for the season? The reason I ask is that the weather is going to be up in the 60s later this week and not sure when to take the snows off since the weather has been so wacky this year.

Not sure if I should take a gamble and change them out. I am convinced that once I change them over I will get hit with a huge snow storm.

Here in Vermont, most years we take snow tires off June 15 and put them back on August 15 (only joking!).

Whatever you do, it will be wrong. This winter, I actually never put any snow tires on.

The weather down here in Pennsylvania has been so mild that I took mine off this past week, did an oil change, a thorough wash job and a full wax.

Guess I should count on it snowing by the end the week.
cool.gif

i took mine off in mid feb. they wear too quickly to leave on when we havent seen much snow/ice this winter. and all seasons arent all that bad

Here in Colorado it was 69 degrees today. Snow expected Friday.

I'll take my Blizzak's off around May 15th. I run BFG All-Terrain's in the Summer (May 15 to October).

Nothing like Blizzak's for sure footed control on ice, IMHO!

Thanks for the replies- still debating on whether or not to take them off this weekend. Supposed to be up into the 60s this weekend.
Just do not know if we are going to get a freak snow storm next week and find myself stuck and kicking myself as I put the snows back on.

We've gotten snow up until early April around here before. I took my snows off two weeks ago. I figure if it does snow, it generally won't be around long this time of year.

quote:

Originally posted by williar:
I'd wait two more weeks. No hurry, is there? Mine are coming off in April after ski season is over.

Willar,

Does Washington still allow studded snowtires?

For me?....the answer is today. I just miss my whisper-quiet Yoko Avid Tourings too much. Plus, I'll regain the extra 2-3mpgs that my Winterforces rob me of every season.

I guess it depends on what you use off-season. I run summer tires (a.k.a. zero snow traction) off season so I'm going to wait until the end of March. If I had All-Seasons, I'd probably do it this weekend.

That is the problem I am running into, I have summer tires as the other set and they stink in snow. I guess I will wait another week just to be safe.

Took mine off 2 weeks ago.

We have had a few storms since then. Once the salt trucks come by it's been ok.

Just told the wife to be careful.
rolleyes.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

By law we need to remove studded tires at some time, the end of March or something. To extend the snow tire life I use to take them off when not needed and put them back on when needed, but with three vehicles now I just leave them on. We have studless snow tires on the older car, studded on the other car and on the truck, and both cars will need new snow tires next season. I'll stick with studded tires as our primary problem is ice, where studs do better. I also still have chains for all vehicles, as when the snow gets too deep and slushy the cars need the chains, and on 'soft ice' the truck has needed chains.

We don't bother with them. Can't justify the cost of rims tires storage hassle etc. But then again, we live in town, work close to home, can stay home nearly anytime it is really really bad. Except last March when we got the 20+" snowfall, I took the 2wd pickup to the home/vacation/rv show. I don't bother with sand bags in the back, either.

Living life dangerously in MN!

Well, took my Blizzak's off last week, it was 56 on Friday. Today, snowed about 10 inches, the heavy, wet, slushy kind. Murphy will get you every time, but no problem getting around with my A/T's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back