When to service rear wheel bearings?

I have a 04 honda civic and there is no recommended service interval for the rear wheel bearings. I currently have 70k on the car and no indications of grease failure. I have removed the dust covers but that is it. What do you guys think? These new cars don't leave you much to fiddle with. Thanks for the help.

I can't address Honda wheel bearings. However; most cars use sealed rear wheel bearings. There is no service interval and no way to inspect other than rotating, feel and listen at tire rotation time.

+1 And even RWD cars typically have semi-floating axles that use the rear differential oil fill to lube the rear wheel bearings.

Kestas

Staff member
Your model uses a sealed rear wheel bearing. There is no service for this bearing. It is greased for life... replace when it goes bad.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Your model uses a sealed rear wheel bearing. There is no service for this bearing. It is greased for life... replace when it goes bad.
+1 \:\! And when it goes bad, trust me you will know! ;\)

sneakboxer

Thanks! i'm an idiot. After i started this post i looked up the parts and sure enough they are sealed. I guess i can't fiddle with them. I need to buy an old VW again, valves, points, carburetors, zerk fittings and manual brakes.