When to do oil change on 2019 Accord with 1700 miles.

Honda tells you to leave it in.

The mods on the Honda Ridgeline forum claim to have discussed with factory reps and claim there is no special break in oil - HOWEVER the break in oil is moly rich from the assembly lube used and they want it in until the MM indicated 20%. My dealer said the same.

Next conundrum is the A/B filter change - Honda only wants you to change the filter revery OTHER oil change.

Next conundrum is the A/B filter change - Honda only wants you to change the filter revery OTHER oil change.
I think this is influenced by cost of ownership and the ownership experience. Long service intervals make vehicles easy to own.
Honda did this on motorcycles too. Extended Oil change and 2x Filter intervals. Also extended valve adjustment and spark plug intervals.

I think this is influenced by cost of ownership and the ownership experience. Long service intervals make vehicles easy to own.
Honda did this on motorcycles too. Extended Oil change and 2x Filter intervals. Also extended valve adjustment and spark plug intervals.

I thought so too until I looked at a white paper on the OLM and how it works and how its results were tested. Ive posted it up here elsewhere.

I also downloaded all UOA's on the 3.5 I could find that were MM triggered and haven't yet found a case of the oil being unserviceable using it as a guide

I'd follow the manual.
Throwing away good oil seems like a waste to me.
Those that worry about all those metal particles and sand and M&M wrappers floating around in their oil must have bought the "oil filter delete" models.

If you change early you find out you have a major problem early. Our 2019 Toyota Highlander threw a rod bearing at 2,700 miles. I changed the oil early because the gas mileage was so bad and found lots of metal.

I also just bought a leftover 2019 Honda. It had 50 miles on it and was manufactured January of 2019. Like you I’m trying to decide if I should change early or not.

Attachments

• 6364C814-14A9-42FF-8ADA-AE0C2F604882.jpeg
    6364C814-14A9-42FF-8ADA-AE0C2F604882.jpeg
    498.4 KB · Views: 43
  • A5C7E7BE-5AF1-4B3F-89BC-7ACF4CA521BA.jpeg
    A5C7E7BE-5AF1-4B3F-89BC-7ACF4CA521BA.jpeg
    474.7 KB · Views: 43
If you change early you find out you have a major problem early. Our 2019 Toyota Highlander threw a rod bearing at 2,700 miles. I changed the oil early because the gas mileage was so bad and found lots of metal.

I also just bought a leftover 2019 Honda. It had 50 miles on it and was manufactured January of 2019. Like you I’m trying to decide if I should change early or not.

Question an obvious part or factory assembly problem did Toyota back the warranty issue?

I saw some metal flakes in my oil filter/cap at 1st and second oil change on my `18 4Runner. 1500 miles and 2500 miles. I changed it due to time, not mileage.

Also saw metal in 1st change of LS3 and L83 engine. Metallic glisten of oil in drain pan in sunlight.

I vote change it out before winter comes.

I have an `07 Accord K24A8, I changed at 3000 miles. Didn't see metal, but then again not sure I was looking that hard or if lighting was good. It was good to get it out and run my oil and filter combo of choice.

I'm in the "change them early" crowd with new engines. There's always plenty of glitter in the oil on that first change...

In all seriousness, what do you feel you should do? Change it earlier than Honda or go by the MM?

There are gonna be many as opinions as there are posts. So, as far as my opinion, I would err on changing
sooner and I would never go by the MM. I have no facts to back up either statement as most of everyone
else here. Some say there is break in oil. Some say there is not any break in oil. Maybe there is, maybe there
isn't. IDK????

If I loved the car and planned on keeping it a long time, I would change at 2K and then at 5K. From that point, depending on your
driving style, I would either change every 3k or 5K. I would use Honda Filters at every change.

What do you think is best for your situation?

I would have dumped by now with 1,000 miles on the factory fill. Time for me to hide. ;)
Not hiding from me … dumped my new Jeep at 500 miles …
next will be 4500 miles to get me on an even 5k rotation …
my shelves are full of premium lubes bought on clearance 😷

Not hiding from me … dumped my new Jeep at 500 miles …
next will be 4500 miles to get me on an even 5k rotation …
my shelves are full of premium lubes bought on clearance 😷
+1 A man after my own heart!

I'd say follow the MM unless the car has been "in service" for 12 months. Then go by the 12 months. I believe that's what Honda says.
Yes, change it at 12 months or when the MM says to change it. This is what Honda says (not me or Norman - we're just repeating their instructions).

So, as far as my opinion, I would err on changing
sooner and I would never go by the MM. I have no facts to back up either statement as most of everyone
else here.
As for "never go by the MM", and I'm not picking you out in particular, just that this is a common opinion.... Point to consider is Honda builds millions (??) of engines a year. They have (1) engine plant just up the road from here that produces over 3/4 million engines a year and is not their only engine plant. Maybe I'm just crazy, but going out on a limb here, I'd say they have hard data that makes them very, very confident in the mileage and/or timeframe that they recommend for oil change intervals.

Back