When to do oil change on 2019 Accord with 1700 miles.

I purchased a 2019 Honda Accord in August 2020 with about a 1000 miles. Haven't put on a lot of miles since, but am not sure when to perform the first oil change. The MM is at 90% and I want to leave the break-in oil in to do its job. However, since it was on the lot for more than a year and probably had a few test drives of short distances, I would like to hear people's opinion on if I should have the oil changed or wait a while.

I changed mine after 5k miles. I would get the MM down to at least 40% and then change it. They use a special process in the break in. Get that thing out on the highway. More harm from short trips than anything else.

I'd say follow the MM unless the car has been "in service" for 12 months. Then go by the 12 months. I believe that's what Honda says.
Clattering store public address system: "Buntz! Cleanup on isle 9! Cleanup on isle 9!"
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Liked your post.

:)

I would have already changed it, personally. There is evidence that a quick early change leads to much better long-term reduced maintenance and performance by getting any immediate break-in wear contaminants out. Some builders I've seen recommend 500, 1,500, and then go to the normal OCI (e.g., MM).

Whether you do this depends upon your attitude towards maintenance/best practices and your ownership horizon.

I highly doubt the MM's algorithm takes into account the elevated wear metals during break-in. That said do what makes you comfortable. I did the first oil change on my 2020 Accord at 1,000 miles then again at 2,400 miles.

We bought our 2019 4Runner new. Manual and dealer said oil change due at 10K miles. I changed the oil and filter at 5K miles just to get the break-in material out and to 'sleep better at night'. The oil drained clear and clean and I didn't see anything in the oil pan or filter. Everything was clean. Same thing with my last 3 new vehicles (2 Hondas, 1 Chrysler). All were clean (no visible glitter or debris)

With that said, I would change the oil at least annually regardless of the MM. Take it for a long drive before you change it.

Definitely wait for the break-in oil to do it job. Take it for some long drives if you can. Ed
?
An engine is "broken in" by the time it's purchased (1mi on odo, etc).
500mi should be plenty for shed materials to fall off.

Driving it "ez" for 1st 1500mi makes sense.

Back