When to change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new Toyota Tundra double cab pick-up with the 4.7l v-8. It just turnned 500 miles. When do you guys change the oil fo the frist time? Thinking at 1,000 I'll drain it and put a mobil-1 filter and mobil-1 5-w-30 in, can I put syn. in that soon?

Thanks P.W.

I would take the factory fill to 1500 at least. I changed mine on the Tacoma at 1700 miles and went straight to 5w30 m1. I then changed that first batch of synth at 3000 on the oil. I now run regular intervals 6 months 7500 miles.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 7950 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 83900 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

I have changed a number of new vehicles to Mobil 1 at less than 1000 miles with zero problems.. My current one was changed out at 30 miles. Oil consumption is about one ounce per 1K miles.

cool.gif
I've always done mine at half the recommended interval the first time with dino oil, then at the recommended OCI and after with synthetic (since I've been using syn). I.E. my Ranger has a 5000 mile OCI, I changed the first time at 2500 with dino, then M1 at 5000 and every 5k after.

If you are looking for the earliest possible indication of when to change the oil, I'd say change it as soon as you see a drop in the oil level. Otherwise, no rush.
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
If you are looking for the earliest possible indication of when to change the oil, I'd say change it as soon as you see a drop in the oil level. Otherwise, no rush.
cool.gif

And what if this engine does not burn any oil? That is bad advice! If it were my truck I would drop the oil at 500, 1,500 and M1 in at 3,000. That is what I did to my Chevy 5.3 and I burn 0 qts in 5,000+ miles.

I recomend a change at 700 to dino then another at 3700 with dino and then synthetic final oil at 6700. The first change gets any manufacturing dirt etc and the next change lets the engine break-in and then use your final oil. Worked on my Miata and at 34000 miles I have 0 consumption with 7500 mile changes. It seems my Miata didn't completely break-in till about 22000 miles as that is where the milage jumped 4 mpg and power seemed to improve.

There is no harm in changing oil at 500 miles, but I honestly feel it's a waste of money and time and resources to change it that early. 2 to 3,000 miles is fine for the first drain. While I have no evidence on which to base this, I would drain the factory oil at 2 to 3K, run one 3K interval with a good dino, then switch to syn after that. It goes without saying that you change filters with each drain.

[ April 05, 2004, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: mikemc ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back