When to change water pump and serpentine belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

I have an 01' Durango with the 4.7 liter engine and was wondering when I should have the water pump and or the serpentine belt changed. Currently to date both have been rock solid with almost 81K on the odometer and mentally slowly getting ready for the service.

Durango

When it starts squealing or ribs start FALLING OUT of the belt. Cracks on the rib side are fine and even add traction.

With the Kevlar threaded belts I agree. Once they start to have major cracks then replace.

MY Corolla's belt has 164,000 miles on it and still no cracks. Same with the water pump.

The water pump in my 1986 Jetta went 394,000 miles and was still working.

In fact, I've only replaced one water pump in my life. 1965 Dodge with a 318 which was made out of aluminum and got a pin hole leak.

Bill

I drive a Dakota which probably has a very similar water pump to your Durango. My truck has 124,000 on it and the original water pump is doing fine. I think if you change and flush the coolant out at regular intervals, at the most every 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever happens first, the water pump should last a very long time. I seem to remember reading that the silicates in antifreeze lube the bearings in the pump but the lube properties in antifreeze break down over time, and that antifreeze can become caustic over time and eat up the impellers and bearings in the water pump.

As for the belt, change it when you see cracks or if it begins to squeal. I change mine about every 2 years/30,000 miles just for piece of mind. I use Carquest belts which are made by Gates and the one for my truck only costs 20 bucks so it's cheap insurance.

There has to be some reasonable point to change at least the belt.

Water pumps are funny... In vehicles where a timing belt is nearby, it is often advised to change it out, since it combines tasks as best practice.

On rwd vehicles where the pump is readily accessible, I've not seen a spec for when to change, besides when cooling issues arise, there is noise or a leak.

On toyota and mb rwd vehicles, all our pumps are original and still work excellent at >200k miles!

If you have a timing belt and the belt drive the water pump, change it when you do the timing belt.

Otherwise wait till it leaks or something like worn belt.

I agree. Corrosion can cause these items to sieze. Since Durango lives in Los Angeles these components may last a while.

Guys/Gals,

Thank you all for your fast replies. I have about another month before seriously setting up an appointment with my Chrysler delaership so I have time to think about what you all said. For sure my water pump will wait for a month including the serpentine belt. I was just curious as everytime I have a service done at the dealership they never say/indicate any issues with either of these critical parts. Such well built parts deserves cudos!! :)

Durango

the 4.7's (3.7 also) water pump is 50 dollars aftermarket and easy to get to. no worries if it needs changing. looks like you could cange it with a wrench in one hand and a ham sandwich in the other. mike

Many newer serp belt are made of rubber compounds the don't necessarily crack (EPDM rubber)but still physically wear out.
Gates has a toothpick type gauge that you place in the ribs to determine wear.

http://www.gatesprograms.com/beltwear

They'll even send you a free gauge if you live in the US.
Many Canadian NAPA stores have been giving them away.

Originally Posted By: Rabbler
Many newer serp belt are made of rubber compounds the don't necessarily crack (EPDM rubber)but still physically wear out.
Gates has a toothpick type gauge that you place in the ribs to determine wear.

http://www.gatesprograms.com/beltwear

They'll even send you a free gauge if you live in the US.
Many Canadian NAPA stores have been giving them away.

Yup, I got the gauge as well.

GM says the newer EPDM belts can go 100,000 miles before a replacement is needed. I'm sure some last even longer than that, especially if you accumulate a lot of miles in a short period of time.

Water pumps should be done on an as-needed basis, but there are two exceptions:

1) If your vehicle has a known history of premature water pump failure (e.g. late-model BMW vehicles)

2) Has a timing belt driven water pump, which in that case the water pump should be replaced whenever the timing belt is replaced.

If you really want to be proactive, then 10yr/150k is probably a reasonable interval to replace the pump.

For the record, I once had to change a belt because it stretched beyond the limit of the tensioner, even though it showed no physical signs of wear or cracking.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
For the record, I once had to change a belt because it stretched beyond the limit of the tensioner, even though it showed no physical signs of wear or cracking.

Wow.

With the Kevlar in the belts I've never heard of that. Must have been a defective one from the start (did not secure the ends together well)

Bill

PS: Went to the Gates web site and they have this on belts;

ELONGATION
Material loss can also cause a change in the effective length of the belt, which can move the tensioner beyond its take-up range. This will reduce overall system tension, also lowering accessory performance.

I'm surprised that a belt could loose enough material to change the length of the belt that the tensioner could not take care of..
21.gif

This was an original belt from a 91 Tracer with 12 years/60K service.

I placed the old belt and replacement belt on top of each other. There was a significant difference on diameter... not just on the ID, but also the OD. The change was not just with the effective length, but with the total absolute length.

New belts wear, they don't stretch.
You could probably hang your car from one.
The teeth conform to the grooves in the pulleys and seat in, but they don't actually stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back